Applying for Class 2 and 1 after

Hi all,

Hope all is well with you all.

I have been working in the security industry with a very low living wage for the last few years with long hours (Over 16 hour working shifts at times for a while now as well) and now have decided to get my Class 2 and then a Class 1 straight after as missus is expecting a baby also and need more money but have some questions even though I have read some posts here and google and training provider websites but still need help. Please forgive me for the noob questions or if they have been answered before, I am sorry in advance.

A little bit about my personal situation, in early 2016 I have had a DR20: Driving or attempting to drive while unfit through drink and a DR30: Driving or attempting to drive then failing to supply a specimen for analysis. I do not want to get into the details and defend myself here but basically, I was not actually driving nor attempted to drive but that is another story. I had gone through a tag for several months to ensure I was not drinking etc., did community service, paid a fine and did a course to reduce it by 6 months. You are free to criticize me anyhow you want but if you could, please also try to answer my questions below too, if you can.

I have had my license back for nearly a year now with no other issues and now have a D2 form in front of me and confused about some sections of the form, here are my questions about the form and queries about obtaining a license to drive lorries of the Classes mentioned:

1. In Section 1 - What are you applying for

a) I want to apply for a Class 2 and also a Class 1 as I want to do it consecutively to improve my chances of work, which boxes do I tick exactly in the part of “First provisional entitlement”?

b) Do I need to tick any boxes in the part of “Additional provisional entitlement” also?

1. In Section 2 - Your conduct

a) Do I need to disclose the unspent convictions from 2016 I have highlighted in point 1? As far as aware they stay unspent for 5 years and on DVLA for 11 years.

1. Depending on your view to point 2 and due to the nature of my convictions, is there any point applying for this license or I should not even bother wasting my time and try another field?

2. Once I have my license potentially, how will I acquire insurance with a company? What is the basic insurance process for CLass 2 and Class 1 drivers at agencies or Companies?

Thank you very much in advance for any advice and your answers to the above.

All the best.

Tick C & D only on the D2 form

Need to pass LGV C then wait for licence to come back from DVLA to do LGV CE

Passing C automatically gets CE provisional

ROG:
Tick C & D only on the D2 form

Need to pass LGV C then wait for licence to come back from DVLA to do LGV CE

Passing C automatically gets CE provisional

Thank you ROG, for the reply.

Could be kind enough to answer the following also:

b) Do I need to tick any boxes in the part of “Additional provisional entitlement” also?

1. In Section 2 - Your conduct

a) Do I need to disclose the unspent convictions from 2016 I have highlighted in point 1? As far as aware they stay unspent for 5 years and on DVLA for 11 years.

1. Depending on your view to point 2 and due to the nature of my convictions, is there any point applying for this license or I should not even bother wasting my time and try another field?

2. Once I have my license potentially, how will I acquire insurance with a company? What is the basic insurance process for CLass 2 and Class 1 drivers at agencies or Companies?

Appreciate your help.

Why not get building site tickets to drive a telescopic forklift.

You will have a hard time finding a job with zero experience and that on your licence.

Stungandhurt:
3) Depending on your view to point 2 and due to the nature of my convictions, is there any point applying for this license or I should not even bother wasting my time and try another field?
You’ll find it hard to get agency work with a DR20 and DR30 on your licence, your best bet would probably be trying to find a sympathetic small company employer, even then you’ll find it hard, not impossible but hard.

In your situation it may be worth going round a few local transport companies to get their point of view before throwing 2 to 3 thousand pounds at it, it will also be worth asking at agencies if they’re likely to find you work after gaining the licence. but I’m afraid the answer will most likely be no.

1. Once I have my license potentially, how will I acquire insurance with a company? What is the basic insurance process for CLass 2 and Class 1 drivers at agencies or Companies?
    Assuming you’re talking about motor insurance you won’t have to find insurance that’s the employers responsibility.

adam277:
Why not get building site tickets to drive a telescopic forklift.

You will have a hard time finding a job with zero experience and that on your licence.

Hello Adam,

Thanks for your honesty and taking time to reply.

I guess that Class 2 and 1 is out of the question then, I will not spend money on it even though I have quite a bit saved up if it is going to be wasted.

About the “building site tickets”, do you mean certifications for operating plant vehicles such as the telescopic forklift?

Thanks very much.

tachograph:

Stungandhurt:
3) Depending on your view to point 2 and due to the nature of my convictions, is there any point applying for this license or I should not even bother wasting my time and try another field?
You’ll find it hard to get agency work with a DR20 and DR30 on your licence, your best bet would probably be trying to find a sympathetic small company employer, even then you’ll find it hard, not impossible but hard.

In your situation it may be worth going round a few local transport companies to get their point of view before throwing 2 to 3 thousand pounds at it, it will also be worth asking at agencies if they’re likely to find you work after gaining the licence. but I’m afraid the answer will most likely be no.

1. Once I have my license potentially, how will I acquire insurance with a company? What is the basic insurance process for CLass 2 and Class 1 drivers at agencies or Companies?
    Assuming you’re talking about motor insurance you won’t have to find insurance that’s the employers responsibility.

Hi Tachograph,

Thanks for replying to me, appreciate it.

Yes, from your answer and Adam’s, I have decided not to throw the money at it as it will be a waste of cash.

I am going to try and find to do something else to invest in, that does not involve driving I guess as it seems it will be a waste of time.

Thank you very much, everyone, for all your information, you have been very helpful.

Have an awesome one and take care.