Thinking of applying for class 1 and 2

Hi folks.
I would like some advice on if its worth me applying for my hgv license.

Heres my situation.
Ive had a driving job in the past but it was a small toyota jiffy van but had to seek new employment due to the fold of the company.
IM now 28 and i am currently employed full time as a warehouse collegue in a supermarket and have done this for 6 years but feel like i want a change and i want to become a class 1 driver.

Now heres my dilemna.
Just over 5 years ago i was foolish and was caught DUI and suffered an automatic 18month ban.
Basically is it worth me even gaining my license?
I didnt do my homework until i booked my medical as thought 5years was long enough not to declare.
Should i just be prepared to lose out on the £50 spent on my medical and wait until the 11 year mark?
Will any companies take me on with no hgv experience and a dr10?
What if i was to offer paying premium or excess etc?
Would i have a better opportunity if im flexible with short haul and long haul also nights?

Thanks in advance.

If this is something what you want to do then even if not being able to use it now then its likely to be useful in the future

Its not impossible to get work with a DUI but it certainly makes it that much harder and getting work through a contact is probably the way to go

With a current DUI you might need a meeting with the Taffic commissioner (TC) in your area as they decide on this type of case but you will not know whether a meeting is necessary until you apply for the provisional

If you can afford it now it may be worth doing as course prices may well go up over time. A lot of jobs make it clear that they will not take DUI convictions but I’m sure there are plenty also that will especially ones from years ago.

Thanks for the advice. Would the license be permanent then and it would be the cpc only which i would have to update? Would it get easier with each year to find a job or would i be best to wait the whole 11 years?
Also say if i was to pass and went round local firms with a cv and hi vis would that give me a better chance than telephone and email applications?

This is definately something i have wanted to do only is it now i have some spare cash to do it.

jimbobbo:
Would the license be permanent then and it would be the cpc only which i would have to update?

Perm licence if medical is current
Passing initial dcpc gets you first 5 years
Needs 35 hours during those first 5 years to extend by another 5 years so do initial then see how things go

jimbobbo:
Also say if i was to pass and went round local firms with a cv and hi vis would that give me a better chance than telephone and email applications?

YES

Although on the licence for 11 years it should help from an insurance point of view now that it’s over 5 years old.

Does anyone know of any companies in the midlands willing to take dr codes on even with myself willing to pay insurance excess?

Ok im really getting disheartened and thinking of just loosing out on my £50 medical fee which is booked for saturday.
The more i read on here after digging through old posts is basically with my dr10 not comming off my license until 2019 and having zero experience in class 2/1 driving im basically wasting nearly 2 grand on training and test fees.
Ive even searched and rang agencies who just arent interested.
I cant afford to do “work experience” to get my foot in the door as ive got my mortgage to pay.
If anyone has any positives to throw my way please enlighten me otherwise i think im scrapping the driving until 2019 :frowning: and maybe go for flt instead?

Won’t be easy finding a new job but it’s not impossible. Why don’t you just aim to get class 2 & maybe your FLT. If you can then get using the FLT licence with the right company who also have class 1 & 2 trucks you might strike lucky in being able to cover for drivers on holiday or sickness.

I’m sure some firms out there would see it as a good thing that one of their FLT drivers has his class 2 licence so if they are in crap one day & need a driver ASAP they’ve got you regardless of what’s on your licence.

I would stay positive & crack on with the medical & all the other bits you need.

Boo9729:
Won’t be easy finding a new job but it’s not impossible. Why don’t you just aim to get class 2 & maybe your FLT. If you can then get using the FLT licence with the right company who also have class 1 & 2 trucks you might strike lucky in being able to cover for drivers on holiday or sickness.

I’m sure some firms out there would see it as a good thing that one of their FLT drivers has his class 2 licence so if they are in crap one day & need a driver ASAP they’ve got you regardless of what’s on your licence.

I would stay positive & crack on with the medical & all the other bits you need.

thanks for your words I appreciate it.

Just had another setback though, applied for work as a home shop delivery driver just to see the outcome. Anyway I passed the interview but when declaring the dr10 I was told even though its over 5 years ago I wouldn’t be able to apply EVER for that specific job role.
so even if after 11/12/13 years I wouldn’t be able to apply for a driving job under 3.5 tonne with certain companies what chance have I got.
I may as well stick to my ■■■■ dead end job and pay the punishment for my error of judgement forever. what happened to second chances really? I’m now happily married with a small family and a house owner, I can understand the punishment I and fellow f*ck ups receive for DUI but for it to last forever is simply not fair! :angry: