My thumb doesn't work very well

Keen on passing my C & CE tests in the near future. I just have a question about my thumb and the controls on a handbrake.

I have an injury to my left hand, sustained 25 years ago and this affected the nerves leading to my fingers. This is stable, not going to improve and not going to get worse. Most things I can manage perfectly fine, just some fiddly things can be a pain. Gripping is fine.
I passed a manual driving car test (1996), fine, apart from the handbrake where I am obliged to used an adaptor that turns the button on the end of the handbrake into a lever - elderly people or those with RA arthritis use them i think. Button pushing, indicators etc, i have no problems with.

So my questions are;
How does the handbrake on a truck release?
Does anyone foresee any problems here?
How would the medical examiner handle this?

Thanks for reading

Good news. No use of thumb needed for a truck park brake. Why not find a school and try it to put your mind at rest?

Good luck, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I’ve never driven a lorry that required use of the thumb to operate the handbrake. Most are like a small gear lever with a lifting collar under the main handle, and just like such a gear lever, you operate them by hooking your fingers under the collar when you want to release it. Your thumb is not involved at all.

These are the three types that I know about, not sure if there are anymore.

First one has the collar that Roymondo is on about. Pull back to apply, lift collar and push fowards to release. Second on pull down to apply, slight pull towards you and upwards to release. Third is just a fancy switch.

hb1.png

hb2.png

hb3.png

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Awesome, looks like a non-issue
Thanks a lot for your replies

It is, as you say, a non issue. Make sure to take a peek at the Darren Shaw Offers at the top of the thread.

I promise you an easy to use park brake!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

As the others have said here you should be fine.

I’ve got a weakness on my left sided limbs and wondered if i’d struggle too but did have a mooch around truckfest and “had a play” in various types of lorry and got on ok. Also Went to one of Peter Smythes open days and had a go in the Iveco rigid they had at the time and found it easy enough. Think sometimes we can over think stuff

Anyone welcome to come and have a look at vehicles/training centre anytime Monday to Friday 0730 - 1700. No appointment necessary.

Pete :laughing: :laughing: