Mitsubishi Canter Recovery?

Anyone use these for recovery, The handbrake is worrying to say the least.
Just wondered if there are any mods for them. I use a remote winch and I either sit in the truck foot on brake or sit in the casualty vehicle with foot above brake pedal…

The only thing I can think of is wheel chocks.

Any experiance with these lads or advice…

Never used one on recovery, but have driven one a few years back. Handbrake is pants on them. Always had to leave it in gear in case the fork lift shoved it through the fence while pushing pallets on. Obviously not an option for you on recovery while using the PTO. But the worst thing was banging your head getting into the cab. And I’m only 5ft 7, so I don’t know how taller drivers cope with them. Hated driving them.

The only upgrade to the standard handbrake would be a disc brake mounted on the prop shaft land Rover upgrade style but that could get expensive on a Jap motor unless you have some one handy with the tools :wink:

The standard park brake is already a transmission brake on the prop shaft. That’s why they’re so crap. The only solution I could suggest is a type of line locker like the boys with the American hot rods use to lock the front brakes. However you’d be breaking into the braking system and making changes to it so it would be a notifiable alteration and therefore may not even be do-able legally.

Wedge the brake pedal down by putting something between it and the bottom of the steering wheel. Ideally you’ll need someting with some sort of screw type adjustment of the length.

Rusty Nail:
The standard park brake is already a transmission brake on the prop shaft. That’s why they’re so crap. The only solution I could suggest is a type of line locker like the boys with the American hot rods use to lock the front brakes. However you’d be breaking into the braking system and making changes to it so it would be a notifiable alteration and therefore may not even be do-able legally.

Ahha I didnt know they had that system, this could be good IF it is a drum/shoe brake system it could possibly be an easier conversion to a disc brake system like this
foundry4x4.co.uk/index.php?route … =handbrake

Granted wrong car but an easy upgrade with a bit of engineering experience and you can keep the normal handbrake for MOT :wink:

I remember one fun time in my late teens when I got a JCB Tele-Truck stuck in the mud, thing would not budge. I got the works Canter hooked up with a rope and used a tree as kind of fulcrum, plan was to bring the boom in using the Canter as ballast to try and drag myself out without telling the manager…all that happened was the Canter went into a tree. Few lessons learnt that day, including the fact the Canter’s handbrake was worse than my 1983 VW Polo breadvan!! :laughing:

jonesy1985, I think thats called “digging a deeper hole” :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

hahhaha…aye, it is :laughing: Manager was red with rage, never went back to that site again!!!

Own Account Driver:
Wedge the brake pedal down by putting something between it and the bottom of the steering wheel. Ideally you’ll need someting with some sort of screw type adjustment of the length.

Do exactly that, I used drive one any slight incline and it was a length of timber wedged from the seat to the pedal I got fed up of chasing it down the road.

I could not for shame drive one of those overgrown Sooty vans. We had those Isuzu things on demo a few years back, and every single 7.5 driver that had a play in one, said they’d go back into a van if that’s what they were replacing the MANs with.

I’d die of claustrophobia. A DAF LF cab is on the tight side for me.

Used to do the same, remote and foot on brake! Normally ok just to get car moving!

Also adjust the brake up, it normally gets missed. I used to do it a couple times a month and put a new cable on when it stretched.
Don’t miss driving them at 6ft tall either!!! Needed a bump cap to get in!

We have one for recovery work. Handbrake on ours is in the rear drums and it’s still crap. Piece of timber between the brake pedal and seat is the only job when winching!!

Thank you for the replies, I know alot of people dont like them , I do but only as I have to fix it as I own it , Worse thing for me is a very small cab , seats that neon brake your spine an a sh…it handbrake…