Mybe a stupid Question

Hi,

I have a question please guys…it may be the daftest question of the year but for my peace of mind I’d appreciate it if anyone knows the answer or has something similar.
I passed my driving test in 1982 age 17.

On looking at my licence details it states the vehicles I can drive, on the list which obvioulsy includes the B and B1 for motor vehicles…but underneath that it states that I can drive -

Category : C1
Start date: 15 Apr 1982
End date: 9 Sep 2034
Description
You can drive vehicles weighing between 3,500 and 7,500kg (with a trailer up to 750kg), with no more than 8 passengers and a driver

Category : C1E
Start date: 15 Apr 1982
End date: 9 Sep 2034
Restrictions apply
Description
You can drive vehicles weighing between 3,500 and 7,500kg (with a trailer over 750kg), with no more than 8 passengers and a driver. The combined weight of both can’t exceed 12,000kg
Restriction code - 107 Not more than 8250kg

Does anyone know why these two catagories are there when I have never taken either test and what are the implications of these codes being on my licence?
Cheers.

You’ve got the cat C1 categories on your licence because you passed the car test before 1st January 1997, because you could drive light goods vehicles on a car licence when the categories were changed category C1 was given as grandfather rights.

The only implications are that you can legally drive category C1 vehicles within the limits of the code 107.

Sent from my mobile.

Just before you rush out and apply for a job driving C1………… you’ll need driver cpc if you’re driving professionally.

You have a choice of route to achieve this. One route is to complete 35 hours of periodic training, the second route is to take Module 2 (theory test based on case studies) followed by Module 4 (practical walk round vehicle checks.)

There are pros and cons to each; happy to help if you’d like more information.

btw, if you intend to drive “non” professionally, (eg driving your own car transporter in connection with a hobby) you do not need driver cpc. There are a limited number of other exceptions as well. You can check online gov.uk/guidance/driver-cpc- … s-examples

Fire away with any questions.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Basically means you don’t need to sit modules 2 or 4 to get Cat C licence as you passed pre 1997, just need modules 1 & 3 and if you want to do it commerically you need the 35 hours of CPC. I guess they thought it would cause too much disruption if they were to make everyone pre 1997 sit the CPC before then could driver c1 etc.

Peter Smythe:
Just before you rush out and apply for a job driving C1………… you’ll need driver cpc if you’re driving professionally.

You have a choice of route to achieve this. One route is to complete 35 hours of periodic training, the second route is to take Module 2 (theory test based on case studies) followed by Module 4 (practical walk round vehicle checks.)

There are pros and cons to each; happy to help if you’d like more information.

btw, if you intend to drive “non” professionally, (eg driving your own car transporter in connection with a hobby) you do not need driver cpc. There are a limited number of other exceptions as well. You can check online gov.uk/guidance/driver-cpc- … s-examples

Fire away with any questions.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks Pete for your info there. It was never my intention to do anything with this as I have never driven an HGV in my life.
I currently run my own business (which is buggered) and need to find work and at the same time transition from being self employed to working for someone else, HGV driving is what I want to do as I like my own company and don’t want to be in an office, so I am currently on the long road to investigating all possibilities.
Can I ask then…Given the eligibility already on my licence (which of course is just down to my advancing years) if I was say to come to you for training what would I need to do to walk away from your training facility with a Cat 1 eligibilty licence? As I am totally confused.
Thanks

david8732:
with a Cat 1 eligibilty licence?

Do you mean LGV cat C1 (7.5 tonner) :question:

what would I need to do to walk away from your training facility with a Cat 1 eligibilty licence? As I am totally confused.

It depends what you mean by “Cat 1”. If you mean C1 (7.5 tonnes) you already have the licence as you know. But you would need to acquire driver cpc. I explained the options in a previous answer so not going to bore you going over it again!

If you mean CAT C (any rigid goods vehicle regardless of number of axles, weight etc) then you would need:

Medical
Provisional Licence
Theory tests (2)

We can organise any or all of this, and more, to make the process as straightforward as possible.

Having passed the theory tests, we would offer you a driving course at either of our centres. (There is an unbeatable deal at our Darren Shaw, Dronfield site at the moment).

Take you test, pass it, job done.

If you are aiming for CE (Class 1 in old money - artics) then it’s as above followed by a further course on artic (or drawbar - same licence outcome) about 4 weeks later. It’s physically impossible to do “back to back” as your licence has to be upgraded by DVLA, Swansea before you can move on to CE.

Following the training, pass the test and that’s it.

If you follow the Darren Shaw route, all the above can happen for £2250 start to finish, fully inclusive of everything assuming first time passes as you go along. You wont beat that price but the offer ends March 1st. So, if you want to take advantage, give us a call on 07759 239091 during office hours.

Hope this helps; fire away with any questions. Pete :laughing: :laughing:

C1 is a 7.5tonner C1+E is a 7.5tonner towing a trailer, a friend of mine once insisted he had a class 1 license and could drive an artic under grandfather rights, i asked him to show me his license and it said C1 C1+E, nothing about C or C+E, he woulldnt have it when i tried explaining it to him, good job he only drives a taxi :smiley: