What does my licence entitle me to drive?

Hey up All

Just after a bit of clarification as to what exactly I can drive based on what my licence says.
I passed before 1997 and my licence states that I have C1 and also C1E. What weight trucks does this mean I can drive?
Does it realistically mean I could walk into a job/part time job with no experience driving these trucks?
Also one website I’ve looked at states if i have these ‘grandfather’ rights I don’t need DCPD.

Largest thing I’ve driven is a long wheelbase ■■■■■■ and also a box type removal van.

Bottom line is, Its all a bit confusing, Im a complete newbie and any help is greatly appreciated.
I work in the print trade and my current job is not looking great at the moment, so I am looking into back up plans etc.

thanks in advance.
Scoff

gov.uk/driving-licence-categories

Up to 7.5T basically, but check to see if you are subject to restrictions. You will probably find that you are prevented from being able to drive professionally for money.

gov.uk/driving-licence-codes

You will need the DCPC to drive commercially

You should be able to drive unto 7.5t on that licence

You can drive a vehicle combination with a MAM of up to 7.5t, or a 7.5t vehicle with a trailer not exceeding 750kg.

You will need a CPC card to drive commercially, but with not need to do initial CPC, as you have grandfather rights on your C1 entitlement. 35 hours CPC training will qualify you for a card.

You also have the option of obtaining driver cpc by going down the “initial” route. This is Mod 2 (case studies test) and Mod 4 (practical demonstration test).

If you consider going for CAT C (any rigid) training this can also count towards your periodic training (the 35 hrs). Same applies if you then go for CE. This isn’t the case with all trainers - ask the question. You may also choose to do ADR which can give you up to 28 hours of cpc.

Worked carefully, you can achieve 10 years of driver cpc without too much effort.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Pre 97 licence =
C1 = up to 7500 with max 750 kg plated MAM trailer
C1E 107 code = max total plated weight when towing of 8250 kg … examples below with vehicle plated GVW first then trailer plated MAM …
7500 + 750
7000 + 1250
6000 + 2250
5000 + 3250
4250 + 4000

If you want to check exactly what your licence has on it, you can also use the GOV web site - gov.uk/view-driving-licence

As for CPC for either 7.5t or class C, since you passed pre-1997 can I recommend you do the 35 hours training instead of the “Initial CPC - module 2 and 4”. You can do the “Initial CPC” option which sounds easier, until you run into Pearsons who administer it and for your sanity and phone bill, you don’t want to do that!

some great help there cheers.

Do do I have to complete all the 35 hours before I can get a cpc card issued to me then?

Scoff1:
Do do I have to complete all the 35 hours before I can get a cpc card issued to me then?

YES

Scoff1:

No not necessarily, as Peter Smythe said you have the choice of doing either the 35 hours periodic training or the initial driver CPC

Periodic training equals 35 hours training some of which may be got through upgrading your licence.

Initial driver CPC equals doing mods 2 and 4, both of these involve tests that can be failed.

I see, so possible route for me is -

apply for HGV provisional, apply for tacho card, pay for and obtain mods 2 & 4.
Then I can apply for jobs and drive commercially?

You only need to apply for a provisional HGV licence if you intend to upgrade your licence by doing a cat C test.

Assuming that you don’t want to upgrade your licence you just need to either do the 35 hours training or do the initial driver cpc mods 2 and 4.
You can choose whether you do the 35 hours training or mods 2 and 4.

As you say you will need a driver card.