Just an enquiry, how long until your take home pay was £1100

I’ve not even passed my hgv theory yet but I’m employed in a driving job doing 32 hours a week.
How long did it take you as a new starter with no experience to earn £1100 take home pay after passing your test.
My options are as follows.
Carry on driving where I am and try to pick up work on my days off to gain experience maybe through agency.
Or
Quit the job to make myself available full time to any agency or job that I apply for?
Or
Continue working and apply for full time work, with only box van experience until I find something?

Maccer:
I’ve not even passed my hgv theory yet but I’m employed in a driving job doing 32 hours a week.
How long did it take you as a new starter with no experience to earn £1100 take home pay after passing your test.
My options are as follows.
Carry on driving where I am and try to pick up work on my days off to gain experience maybe through agency.
Or
Quit the job to make myself available full time to any agency or job that I apply for?
Or
Continue working and apply for full time work, with only box van experience until I find something?

I assume you mean per month?

£500 per week take home on first driving job as a new pass. I did a lot more than 32 hours though

Yeah that’s over 4 weeks.
How long did you wait before your first job?

The first 3 weeks I drove a Class 2.

About a week.But that was early 90’s.Was paid weekly and took home around £300 a week.Occasional night out in that.You should be able to achieve £1100 with any job nowadays i would of thought.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Maccer:

You shoukd be clearing that on your hours unless your minimum wage?

Maccer:

Got offered 3 within 2 weeks of passing. Not the greatest jobs but the first job is about experience and getting a start

I wish. I’d have to do overtime to get that as take home after deductions.
I’m just not really sure which route to go down when I eventually pass my class 2.

After first week 400+ a week, on agency doing 10-12hrs a day.
Not great but as said for a first driving job not too bad i’d guess.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

If your PAYE you should be able to get that easily enough doing 48 hour working weeks at supermarkets in two weeks.

I suspect some people will post that they can make that in 1 week.

This is true but also untrue.
They are Ltd so they have to keep hold of NI and tax deductions and have to pay accountants and probably a few other bits and bobs.

I think you should probably start off with supermarkets on a 40 hour contract. As it’s good money for a new pass.
Ive seen quite a few new passes burn out when they go from 37 ish hours to doing 60 hours + as a multi drop driver. Ease yourself into it. :laughing:

Cleared nearly 1300 last week, 6 months after starting Agency 7.5t work.
Ok ok, 600+ of that was a tax rebate :slight_smile:

Seriously though? 1100 a month should be easily do-able.

New here on the forum so don’t want to sound too cocksure, but even new starters doing PCV class D work pick up 250 - 300 per week take home nowadays, I’m on £450 p/w take home doing 50 hours at my current employer, so I’d imagine basically any job would break the 1100 p/m barrier.

I seriously doubt you’ll be doing 36 hours on a fulltime job, more like 50 to 60 per week. With that you should clear 350+ a week on most class 2 jobs PAYE and hopefully more.

As for how to do it, getting a first job can be a bit of a headache but you firstly need to get the test done then maybe go asking local companies. Pallet companies are a good staring point.

In essence I would be looking at £9 hour for class 2 generally by 50 hours.

National minimum wage is £7.83. 40 hours at that should give you a monthly TAKE HOME pay of £1,235.60. Four weekly should be £1,140.33.

That’s not taking into account pension contributions.

I’m only contracted to 32 hours per week though, that’s why I’m looking to change jobs.

Maccer, did you pass your driving test before '97? If so, you can drive 7.5t. More money/hours
In your original post you kinda alluded to that you were going to take the Cat C test? Theory, at least?
Got any further with this?

Maccer:
I’m only contracted to 32 hours per week though, that’s why I’m looking to change jobs.

And there is us lot moaning we do too many hours.And you want to increase yours to probably double that?.Madness.But there lies the trouble with alot of low hour jobs Normally involves low money too.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

My theory test is booked for the 5th Feb. I’m going to get that boxed off and get my lessons done.
I thought for 7.5t that you still needed your cpc?
I actually want more hours sad as it sounds, keep me out of mischief.

Yep, CPC and Tachocard.