Finding places to park for night

Hi guys .

Any advice on how to find places to park up at night? I’m a tramper (new) and although the company I work for have plenty of depots all over the country , if I park in any of them I don’t get paid my night out money so I’m wondering how you lot would find places ?

So far I’ve been lucky and stumbled into industrial estates but a lot of them seem to have signs saying no overnight parking and im usually too short on driving hours to spend time looking …

I’ll be in daresbury tomorrow night if anyone has any reccomendations there. Obviously I don’t mean actual truck stops.
Ive tried searching the areas on Google maps but don’t always get enough time at end of shift stare at maps just need to find somewhere quick. I know there is a section in this forum that covers this but it seems to be mainly truck stops .

Thanks.
Dave

What the hell sort of outfit deducts a driver’s night out pay when at an away from home depot, or does the company provide decent hotel type accommodation at each depot, including the facilities to cook food clean toilets showers etc.
Presumably they won’t pay parking either, as you don’t want to go to truck stops?
If this is the case find yourself a proper job soon as you can mate.

Finding parking is a bit hit and miss these days due to teh country being overcrowded to the nth degree, if you want industrial estates then it’s older ones you need to be looking out for not the modern sort where all the warehouses are stuffed to the rafters with chinese rubbish.

When i did nights out i would tend to use the old roads, and try to find a quiet out of the way place to park within walking distance of a pub that does food.
Alternatively think of where carveries and chain pub restaurants are sited (you could probably download their apps) and head towards one that look suitable and just ferret about for some suitable parking nearby.
If you self cater then the job is much easier, just venture onto quieter roads and keep you eyes open.

Do not be pushed into working to the very last second, an hour to go then start looking, what doesn’t get done today will get done tomorrow, switch the bloody phone off if you have pointy shoed gelled haired pillocks tracking your every move.

A good bridge height map helps in these ventures, you cannot see these alternative routes by using a bloody satnav.

There’s a Facebook group specifically for parking search for: “safe parking and postcodes and truck stops ind est”. I’m not a fan of Facebook but have a throwaway account for this sort of thing as it’s handy. Someone will always give you a reply on there if you ask and tell them where you’re looking for parking.
There is an app available as well for HGV parking but I’m not sure of it’s name.

Other than that for me it was a case of looking on google maps at where my destination was, taking into consideration drive time then finding an industrial area or a retail park with a supermarket in the general area of your destination. Retail parks generally have service roads and there’s facilities available in the shops.
As you’ve said you are new I’m guessing it’s all still a bit overwhelming it was for me when I started tramping. Just slow down and take your time when looking on google maps for somewhere the only person pressuring you is you. Try and plan parking earlier in the day rather than last thing at night when you’re running out of time.

Also if you’re company are stopping money for using other depots or don’t allow you to use truck stops or services then find a new job.

I reckon you should be looking for a new employer rather than a place to park.

Thanks for the replies.
I work for stobarts btw. They didn’t tell me that i lost my night out money if I Parked in one of there depots until Saturday (end of first week) so i was specifically looking for there depots to park in lol.
As for truck stops, they do let me park in them and they pay me back the following week but obviously they wont be happy if I drive past there depot to park in a truck stop as they’d then be paying my night out money and my parking so i figured if I find a estate to park for free they wont complain as much when I’m avoiding there depots lol

Also the first night when I did park in a truck stop (gourdano I think it was called) I had a fridge unit parked next to me all night so I’d prefer to rough it anyway haha
Other than this stupid night out money thing I actually like the job and the wages are decent and since I’ve only just passed my test its not like I have many other options.

They’ve told me I have to run out my time as much as possible otherwise it’s wasted time then I will be delayed more the next day so I’m being pushed to get as far as i can everyday. That would be ok if I knew plenty parking spaces but as it is I’m struggling.

Anyway thanks for the replies, I have a few better ideas where to look now although the Facebook option really will have to be the last resort lol

Cheers
Dave

It’s only your home depot that isn’t paid. IE if you run out of rugby it won’t be paid parking there but if you park at Newark or others it will.

Parking is paid on expenses, ask the office for a form when you hard your pods in, make sure you have a copy!

Tell the planner to go screw himself. You are a new driver and don’t know parking so need to allow yourself time. You won’t be the first Stobarts driver to say that to your planner and I think they are used to it

kcrussell25:
It’s only your home depot that isn’t paid. IE if you run out of rugby it won’t be paid parking there but if you park at Newark or others it will.

Parking is paid on expenses, ask the office for a form when you hard your pods in, make sure you have a copy!

Tell the planner to go screw himself. You are a new driver and don’t know parking so need to allow yourself time. You won’t be the first Stobarts driver to say that to your planner and I think they are used to it

Oh ok I didn’t realise that. It was the guy in the gatehouse that told me it wasn’t paid in the depot so i assumed he meant all depots ( I work at Carlisle depot)

I did tell the planner I was struggling with this stuff but all he tells me is to ring the planners and ask for help. Problem is they never answer the phones then ring you back when your driving and then I can’t take down any notes of locations etc so it doesn’t help.
I was struggling trying to find fuel after leaving bodmin last week (tried 3 different stations but non of them accepted the fuel card) so i rang the planner. He give me a postcode which turned out to be a fuel station for cars only which meant I was then stuck trying to get back out of some tiny village for 30 mins lol
Im sure they mean well but they mustn’t be listening when I tell them I’m new to driving jobs having only ever done local day work in small vans and bus driving. They rhime off a bunch of locations, street names motorway names etc over the phone expecting me to know them and memorise them instantly while driving…

Anyway thanks everyone for the replies. I’ll use all the above info to help me get through this week (back in tomorrow at 5am)

Thanks.
Dave

Truxx:
Thanks for the replies.
I work for stobarts btw. They didn’t tell me that i lost my night out money if I Parked in one of there depots until Saturday (end of first week) so i was specifically looking for there depots to park in lol.
As for truck stops, they do let me park in them and they pay me back the following week but obviously they wont be happy if I drive past there depot to park in a truck stop as they’d then be paying my night out money and my parking so i figured if I find a estate to park for free they wont complain as much when I’m avoiding there depots lol

Also the first night when I did park in a truck stop (gourdano I think it was called) I had a fridge unit parked next to me all night so I’d prefer to rough it anyway haha
Other than this stupid night out money thing I actually like the job and the wages are decent and since I’ve only just passed my test its not like I have many other options.

They’ve told me I have to run out my time as much as possible otherwise it’s wasted time then I will be delayed more the next day so I’m being pushed to get as far as i can everyday. That would be ok if I knew plenty parking spaces but as it is I’m struggling.

Anyway thanks for the replies, I have a few better ideas where to look now although the Facebook option really will have to be the last resort lol

Cheers
Dave

Hi Dave,
They only don’t pay NIGHT OUT EXPENSES if you park in your depot.

Tell the last 2 hours of a 15 hour day are yours to find parking as far as you can get to next your next destination.

If you don’t reduce and „only“ work 13 hours tell them the last hours are there to find parking.

Also 10 hours driving time are yours!If you want to drive 10 hours or go over 9 hours driving time it’s because you decided that no because they planned it!

Always keep one reduced rest and one 10 hour drive for the Friday to get back.
If they moan: Why didn‘t you keep driving for 30-50 more minutes? Than answer: „Well I found suitable parking at that point or I was tired after working 12-14 hours“

If they moan demand in writing [emoji3578]!!! that they want you to drive tired and park in stinking lay-bys with no access to toilets/showers and food.

Always, always when they want you to do illegal or unsafe stuff demand their request in writing and signed. They soon shut up.

You need to get your back up with loads of companies!!!If you don’t get your back up, see what happens and search for a user named Dozy on this forum.
Read about how he missed his Friday Dinner regularly.

Truxx:

kcrussell25:

Oh ok I didn’t realise that. It was the guy in the gatehouse that told me it wasn’t paid in the depot so i assumed he meant all depots ( I work at Carlisle depot)

I did tell the planner I was struggling with this stuff but all he tells me is to ring the planners and ask for help. Problem is they never answer the phones then ring you back when your driving and then I can’t take down any notes of locations etc so it doesn’t help.
I was struggling trying to find fuel after leaving bodmin last week (tried 3 different stations but non of them accepted the fuel card) so i rang the planner. He give me a postcode which turned out to be a fuel station for cars only which meant I was then stuck trying to get back out of some tiny village for 30 mins lol
Im sure they mean well but they mustn’t be listening when I tell them I’m new to driving jobs having only ever done local day work in small vans and bus driving. They rhime off a bunch of locations, street names motorway names etc over the phone expecting me to know them and memorise them instantly while driving…

Anyway thanks everyone for the replies. I’ll use all the above info to help me get through this week (back in tomorrow at 5am)

Thanks.
Dave

The guy in the gatehouse knows f…all but maybe he could qualify as a Stobart Planner.

Sorry but pull over when you answer the phone!The problem is you‘re out there trying to memorize all these things while driving. Sorry but that won’t work very well.
Ring them and if they ring you tell them: „Sorry I‘m driving, I ring you later or pull over, when safe to do so and answer the phone.

Doesn’t your Microlise Sat Nav System show things like

• ESL (Eddie Stobart Logistics) Depots
  • ESL Approved Parking
  • ESL Approved Fuel sites
    etc???Look under POI

Didn’t you have a ride along with another driver who should‘ve told you about all these things?

Truxx:

You are not responsible for their happiness. An old driver recently gave me some sage advice. I was trying to be decent and sticking it on break when I was getting back from a run. Waiting for the next one. Nothing illegal about it. But not much of a break when you are waiting in a transport office. He explained that you have to look after yourself as no one else will. And since that day it’s been POA and break as and when it suits me. If I want a long day - I do it to make it longer. If I want a short one I do it the other way around.

As a fridge driver now - a bit of advice. If a fridge pulls up next to you. Just ask the driver nicely if he’d mind putting it on continuous. It doesn’t use much more fuel. If I’m getting me head down I do it now as well. It’s quieter and you will block it out after 5 mins.

If you like the job overall - don’t let your own worries about wanting to please others spoil it for you. At best they will ignore your sacrifices. And I promise you that they won’t be doing you any favours.

Good info thanks…
I’m still also trying to get my head round the tacho and working hours etc aswell :laughing: I thunk I’ve got it mostly figured out but like I say I’ve only done 5 days and just passed my test the week before that so still more time needed.
I messed up this week on my first day and ended up using a reduced rest by accident when I went over 13 hours by 7 mins :neutral_face: then they booked me in for a early delivery so had to take another reduced which I think means I only have 1 reduced left this week? 3 reduced allowed in 2 week period?

As for the microlise I have no idea how to work that thing. I had a driving assessment for 30mins on the Thursday, told to start on Tuesday at which point I was given keys to a truck and some paperwork with a trailer number to take and an address to deliver it to :laughing:
No ride along, no training nothing! So I’m in at the deep end just trying to scrape by.
I’ll try to make time this week to have a good mess around with the microlise as it will be very useful if it has the info on it you say it has…

Thanks
Dave

Just to be clear I have a TomTom truck sat nav with handsfree Bluetooth to my phone. I’m not actually holding the phone while I’m driving.

Truxx:
Good info thanks…
I’m still also trying to get my head round the tacho and working hours etc aswell :laughing: I thunk I’ve got it mostly figured out but like I say I’ve only done 5 days and just passed my test the week before that so still more time needed.
I messed up this week on my first day and ended up using a reduced rest by accident when I went over 13 hours by 7 mins :neutral_face: then they booked me in for a early delivery so had to take another reduced which I think means I only have 1 reduced left this week? 3 reduced allowed in 2 week period?

As for the microlise I have no idea how to work that thing. I had a driving assessment for 30mins on the Thursday, told to start on Tuesday at which point I was given keys to a truck and some paperwork with a trailer number to take and an address to deliver it to :laughing:
No ride along, no training nothing! So I’m in at the deep end just trying to scrape by.
I’ll try to make time this week to have a good mess around with the microlise as it will be very useful if it has the info on it you say it has…

Thanks
Dave

Hi Dave,
You work for Stobarts or do you mean you work for the Logistics People, Stobarts Inhouse Agency?
Because by the info you’re giving, this sounds much like the Logistics People.

Do you know anything how to strap Loads???If and when to strap them??

For the Tacho hours and WTD (Working Time Directive) you get 3x reduced rest per week and 2x 10 hour driving.
Also this link should help HGV Drivers Hours Explained Simply | Returnloads

Otherwise search on the forum for answer or send the User Tachograph on this forum a Personal Message. He can help you very well regarding this matter.

Truxx:
Just to be clear I have a TomTom truck sat nav with handsfree Bluetooth to my phone. I’m not actually holding the phone while I’m driving.

I guessed that :slight_smile:

Truxx:
They’ve told me I have to run out my time as much as possible otherwise it’s wasted time then I will be delayed more the next day so I’m being pushed to get as far as i can everyday.

The moment you got a few months under your belt move on.

Tipperdipper1:

Truxx:
Good info thanks…

Thanks
Dave

Hi Dave,
You work for Stobarts or do you mean you work for the Logistics People, Stobarts Inhouse Agency?

For the Tacho hours and WTD (Working Time Directive) you get 3x reduced rest per week and 2x 10 hour driving.

Otherwise search on the forum for answer or send the User Tachograph on this forum a Personal Message. He can help you very well regarding this matter.

I actually work for stobarts not the logistic people and not agency. I’m booked in for the induction down at Warrington on 3rd January and I wear the full stobart uniform(when it arrives)

Nope nothing about strapping loads either, although from what I’ve picked up this last week it seems everyone just uses internal straps over the last 2 pallets ?
I picked up a trailer full of pot noodles last week from a place in South Wales that i couldn’t put any straps on as they were all stored at the front of the trailer blocked by the load. I asked about thison site (unilever, ■■■■■■■ think) and they said the other drivers just take them like that and just take there time lol.this was the day I was running very late and actually ran out of working time and had to have a break on double yellow lines outside the company gates so i just took my time on corners lol.

I know it all sounds a bit iffy but I’m so desperate to be working again I don’t want to complain too much as i really need the job. They also told me at the assessment that if I leave within 12 months id have to pay them back the cost of the uniform (£1500!) Which normally I wouldn’t have done but i need the wages lol

Thanks for the info on the reduced rest aswell. I knew it said online that i could have 3 reduced but it said between any 2 weekly rests so i was going to play it safe and assume it meand 3 per fortnight…

Thanks again.
Dave

Truxx:

Tipperdipper1:

Truxx:
Good info thanks…

Thanks
Dave

Hi Dave,

I actually work for stobarts not the logistic people and not agency. I’m booked in for the induction down at Warrington on 3rd January and I wear the full stobart uniform(when it arrives)

Nope nothing about strapping loads either, although from what I’ve picked up this last week it seems everyone just uses internal straps over the last 2 pallets ?
I picked up a trailer full of pot noodles last week from a place in South Wales that i couldn’t put any straps on as they were all stored at the front of the trailer blocked by the load. I asked about thison site (unilever, ■■■■■■■ think) and they said the other drivers just take them like that and just take there time lol.this was the day I was running very late and actually ran out of working time and had to have a break on double yellow lines outside the company gates so i just took my time on corners lol.

I know it all sounds a bit iffy but I’m so desperate to be working again I don’t want to complain too much as i really need the job. They also told me at the assessment that if I leave within 12 months id have to pay them back the cost of the uniform (£1500!) Which normally I wouldn’t have done but i need the wages lol

Thanks for the info on the reduced rest aswell. I knew it said online that i could have 3 reduced but it said between any 2 weekly rests so i was going to play it safe and assume it meand 3 per fortnight…

Thanks again.
Dave

Is your uniform gold plated?

Even if they charge, they can’t charge that much and most places don’t bother so long as you return it.

Get yourself a few straps when you can and keep them in the side locker for those circumstances.

If your running late, you are running late. Call your planner, tell him and give him an eta, plus 15 minutes margin and leave it at that. You need to take your breaks safely and legally.

They will push you as hard as you let them so start saying no now or it will get worse

Truxx:

Tipperdipper1:

Truxx:
Good info thanks…

Thanks
Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks again.
Dave

No worries, congratulations you got a job that quick after passing.

Ok, never heard that they do it that way.

Normally it should be like

• go on your induction
  • go out with an experienced driver to show the ropes (for a new pass at least 2 weeks)
  • start on your own runs

But they seem to cut lots of corners in the rush to X-MAS [emoji2959][emoji45]

If anything brakes or goes wrong, tell them maybe that wouldn’t have happened if they would train you properly.

The problem is the planners earn on every transport which they make happen. So they plan like the day has 30 hours. [emoji33]

Don’t get rushed around by them. Tell them it gets there when it gets there.
Remember

You’re the Driver
You’re responsible to get yourself, the truck and load there in one piece without harming anybody else or yourself.
Don’t listen to the Office monkeys [emoji205] telling you „But gets there in x-time, and he does this, but he takes it out blah blah“ YOU‘RE THE DRIVER > YOU‘RE RESPONSIBLE
If you think a load needs strapping or is unsafe, DO something about it and don’t listen to any companies or office bods saying „But the others take it“ >>> You’re NOT the others and you want to domit safe. Otherwise there’s enough evidence on here what happens if you don’t secure your load.

At the end of the day they will point the finger to you if something goes ■■■■. New Driver or not, some employers don’t care.

I don’t want to scare you. I just want you to be careful and professional and not end up losing your license because they rush you around and don’t train you.

Never sign a Risk Assement or Safe System of Work if you don’t understand what it means and never till you understand how they want things doing and they shown you how do them.

Just stand your ground, as earlier the better and tell them you’re not cutting corners.

Never heard about that uniform thing with paying back but I would ask at the induction in Warrington again if you would need to pay anything back.
Most times you give your gear back, they wash it and re-use what’s still good.

Don’t let them scare you.

Stobarts do make you pay back for the uniform and induction (which is CPC training as well) if you leave within a certain time.

But it’s nothing like the numbers being quotes. Couple of hundred from what I heard.

Most people get out of it by getting themselves sacked if they are not keen rather than handing in your notice.

Thanks for all the advice gents.
After talking to a few other drivers it seems the planners also give them very unrealistic delivery times so from now on I get there when I get there.
I tried to get to my delivery on time today and ended up getting there 3 hours late. Granted I got stuck in quite a bit of traffic (m1 heading into watford) but even without the traffic I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t have made it. Just managed to get parked in a very small street with 4:28 on the tacho.

I really enjoy this type of work and love driving the artics, just a shame I have to share the truck with a bunch of dirty ***** . I look forward to getting a job I can leave my stuff in the truck and don’t have to clean up someone’s mess every day lol