First attempt, failed

Unfortunately I failed my class 2 test today.
I had 3 faults and one serious, so 4 together.
Felt confident, and did it easy with no pressure, until I saw the traffic lights are changing. Amber on approach, then when I passed about 2 meters of yellow box, red. I was too close when it changed to amber, speed about 25mph, and I saw something behind me, didn’t know what I have do to and firstly took my feet off when checked the mirrors and started to accelerate. Had the same situation during my training but I stopped on the pedestrian crossing. My instructor told me if I’ll have similar situation, just accelerate. Next week I’ll take a retest and another £££ to pay. Hopefully will pass it second time. My minors :
Mirrors : 1 (didn’t look behind shoulder)
Signals : 1 didn’t indicate on approach right turn on roundabout, did only left.
Positioning/ lane discipline : 1 (couldn’t see road markings, lorry in front of me)
Serious fault: traffic lights
All my minors i did after that traffic light, I knew that I didn’t pass but still had in my mind (oh maybe).
The problem was, I didn’t know if I can safely stop my vehicle, before lights.

Overall driving good.

It’s a pain when you fail on something like that, but hey at least the next test is a little easier since you know you can pass it and I found it to be more relaxing (for C+E which I screwed up spectacularly).

Amber lights are a pain and always will be especially if there’s a camera on them. Personally I tend to ease off approaching them until you get to a point when you know you can’t stop, then floor it. I suspect the examiner wouldn’t be keen on slowing, then speeding up although sometimes you really can’t win. One thing my examiner for C+E told me was you’re in charge of the traffic so make decisive moves, which I guess could mean hit the heavy pedal.

Go for it next time and if you only got those as minors, you’ll sail it. Don’t forget to stick your tongue out a little at the traffic lights which failed you if you drive through them next time on green - yeah ok, but no one said truck drivers couldn’t be childish. :smiley:

On the approach to any green light you must form a plan which will develop with the varying situation. So, in practice, talk to yourself as you approach the lights. Say “if they change, I can stop”, checking your mirrors all the time. Repeat the statement until you cant safely stop then change to “if they change, I’m going”. Having made the decision, don’t bottle it. Foot to the floor, no hesitation, and get across the junction as quickly as is safe to do so.

But the most important bit is to have a plan and stick to it. Hesitation is the worst thing ever when sorting out lights.

Better luck next time, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Definitely will do as you advised. Thanks for that guys :slight_smile: see you on the road ! :slight_smile: