Failed C+E

So yesterday I failed my class 1. Its really kicked my confidence and I’m so annoyed. I got 1 serious, I was waiting at a roundabout for a gap, there were about 5 cars all going straight on so I decide to go, then one of the cars decided he didn’t want to go straight on any more and put his indicator on and came my way, by this time I’d already pulled away, I found that annoying I don’t think it was my fault to be honest. I got a minor for excessive steering which I’m confused about. I got the impression the examiner didn’t like me from that start for what ever reason, maybe he’s biased against age (I’m 20) or he just didn’t like me. Also a minor for progression, so not going fast enough, I know when it was as well and there was no way I was going faster then I was, it was a country road not big enough for an Artic, I was on the other side of the road the whole time the road was that narrow, the speed limit was 50 and I was doing 40. So a bad day yesterday for me, the examiner had a smug face when he told me I failed, really peed me off. I don’t know what to do now, should I book a retest, or should I get some class 2 experience.
I’ve always wanted to drive artics, rigid’s just don’t do it for me.

Wouldn’t take much notice of the minors …you go at a speed you deem is safe for the size of the vehicle and what the road conditions allow…
Take it on the chin… Pick yourself up, dust your self down and go for it again as soon as… Junctions are notorious spots to fail the test, especially Roundabouts… other idiots road users forget…ops don’t use them things called indicators…

What did your trainer / instructor say about the failure… what’s his advice, ask yourself this question would he have allowed you to undertake the test if you wasn’t ready…

dont let this put you off if it was me i would be booked straight back in next time you may end up with a differnt test route and examiner unfortuntly it i was of those things if you want it bad enough you will get it just stay positive and go for it again but in the mean time it may help if you can get some class2 work on agency to get to know the width of the vechile a bit better good luck and hope you try again

Bad news Lewis. Now…dust yourself down and do it again. Roundabout roulette is a game of chance. You obviously CAN drive well, as evidenced from your lack of minor’s.

Do not allow pussyism to get a grip of you pal. Crack on and get it passed.

It’s a crazy reason to fail you,try running round any major city and getting away from any busy roundabout without slowing someone down,you’d be sat there for hours!!
Maybe the examiner didn’t see the cars failure to indicate as I would of thought if he did he would of not punished you for it,then again maybe he wouldn’t…

I completely agree with the first 2 responses, especially the advice to do some class 2 work to get to know your size and handling better. That’s why I didn’t go for my Class 1, straight after passing my Class 2. I’ve done a week+ on agency now and am getting a lot better feel for the size, cornering & tracking, turning circle, and generally flowing well with other traffic. I know some people may say that I’ll probably pick up some bad habits and become lazy, but I don’t plan on leaving it that long, and think my improved skills will far outweigh any bad habits I could pick up. Not that I’m trying to pick up any bad habits, I’m trying keeping the truck in one piece! :laughing:

Especially then nearside mirror! :smiley:

And as the beaver says, roundabouts are a nightmare. I failed my bike test years back, when I met a lunatic on a roundabout that the examiner following in a car, wouldn’t have been able to see develop. But there is no point arguing or dwelling on it! It is what it is, so pick your confidence up and crack on! :grimacing:

I’m probably going to re book the test, The good thing about Total Driving is they wont put you through your test unless they’re sure you will pass. I want this so bad that’s why it hit me hard when I failed.

Average amount of tests to achieve CE? Answer is 4. (UK national pass rate around 50%).

Took me 5. 4 x C, 1 x CE.

You will be fine mate. Get your hand in your pocket.

if you want it then youve got to carry on and do it i was the same on my class2 first i messed up on a roundabout done a gear change but messed it up causing me to not do blindspot check you will get it get youreself booked straight back in asap i dont know how i manged class1 first attempt i thought i failed not long after leaving the test center as set of lights changed as i was about to join the motorway and i stopped a bit quick just crossing the white line but stayed positive the whole test and kept the rest clean and tidy so even if you make a mistake dont let youre driving standards drop as i beleve they dont always make theyre mind up straight away and they consider how the rest of the test goes too making theyre decision i think ive struck lucky with the driving examiners ive had as theyve always come with a good positive attitude which reassures and helps youre nerves alot

good luck

I don’t know how true this is but I’ve heard if an examiner sees you do something which he decides is a fail they will then give you more minors than they may have done otherwise. Not to be mean, but to give you more of an idea where they feel you could improve for your next test.
As for roundabouts, where I took my test the test centre is boxed in by them so your first junction after starting is a roundabout… So is your last one, and their fast too. I was sat at this roundabout for what felt like an age and started to wonder if I might get marked down on hesitation. I listened to what my instructor said about having the patience of a saint and decided to wait more. I didn’t get a single mark for hesitation at the end.

So my advice would be don’t swet and take your time on your next test. :wink:

Personally I’d re-book ASAP, otherwise when you come to get back behind the wheel, if you leave it too long, you’ll have to waste far too much time revisiting things like the reverse and the coupling exercise. Just my opinion. If it’s Class 1 you really want, why settle for being a 2nd Class citizen [emoji6]

PaulNowak:
Personally I’d re-book ASAP, otherwise when you come to get back behind the wheel, if you leave it too long, you’ll have to waste far too much time revisiting things like the reverse and the coupling exercise. Just my opinion. If it’s Class 1 you really want, why settle for being a 2nd Class citizen [emoji6]

I heard that! :imp:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: