Blood Pressure on HGV medical

Hi,
I’ve just had my medical today and my blood pressure reading (that the doctor put on the D4 form) was 188/90, he wouldn’t state if this meant that I’d failed. He put two further readings on the form in the box underneath of 153/90 & 149/88. Both of these were taken on15th Oct and yesterday.
He also wrote in the notes box that he believes I have ‘white coat syndrome’ as I was stressed when taking the medical.
I am 54, never smoked, don’t drink and walk around 6/7 miles a day, I am also not overweight. I have also taken my blood pressure regularly over the last month and I averaged around 155/85.
I have two questions if anyone knows the answer please.
Firstly, will this be a straight fail for me? And if so should I hold back on submitting the D4 form to the DVLA for my provisional?
Secondly, if so is there a time limit as to when I can take another medical? as today’s was a stressful situation with a pretty poor doctor and a crap environment.

Any advice and opinion would be welcome, thanks
David

You only lose your licence if you are consistently 180/100 or higher.

He’s has put 3 reading and they should average the reading from the 3.

White coat syndrome does affect people.

I would buy a blood pressure monitor and take regular readings at home and keep a record.

Then you have evidence of it being consistently under 180/100.

If people say it’s a fail then acquire some beta blockers and rock up for another medical with another Doc. Say nothing about last one.

I have that too.
What my GP did was to lend me one of the Practice’ portable BP machines for a week. Took 3 readings, twice a day.

You can probably ask your GP, or the Practice Nurse, if you can borrow one for a week.

I have white coat syndrome as well, my GPS arranged for me to be fitted with a monitor for 24 hours to get a realistic reading. I also bought a monitor from the chemist to keep a check myself.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

sammym:
If people say it’s a fail then acquire some beta blockers and rock up for another medical with another Doc. Say nothing about last one.

Cheers. Is the first medical recorded by the DVLA?
Or could I just leave it a while and go and get another one with a different doctor and hopefully my blood pressure will be back to normal?

david8732:

sammym:

Or could I just leave it a while and go and get another one with a different doctor and hopefully my blood pressure will be back to normal?

Not reported I believe.

I asked my partner about this. Any doc can fill out the form. And she could fill out mine.

She said she’d just fill it in accurately and forget about it.

Strong hint… Beta blockers are not controlled meds. You are not breaking any law if you get hold of some. But look at horror stories of dealing with DVLA on here if medical information gets to them that they don’t like.

Personally I’d be getting another medical from Doctors on Wheels when I had popped a few blockers. But that’s just me.

sammym:

david8732:

sammym:

Not reported I believe.

I asked my partner about this. Any doc can fill out the form. And she could fill out mine.

She said she’d just fill it in accurately and forget about it.

Strong hint… Beta blockers are not controlled meds. You are not breaking any law if you get hold of some. But look at horror stories of dealing with DVLA on here if medical information gets to them that they don’t like.

Personally I’d be getting another medical from Doctors on Wheels when I had popped a few blockers. But that’s just me.

Thanks a lot mate, appreciate your reply.
I definitely don’t need beta blockers, as I said my BP is ok generally and to be honest I’m a pretty fit bloke, not overweight and walk loads.
I’ll look at this as £55 lost then and go to DOW in a month or so.

Cheers everyone, I’ll put this down to experience.

Good luck with it. I’m sure you’ll be fine. But I am curious why you feel you need to wait a month? We have a doctor come to the training centre. If anyone’s blood pressure is a bit on the high side, they just sit for a few minutes then go again. Normally no issue. So, if I were you, I’d crack on and get it done.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
Good luck with it. I’m sure you’ll be fine. But I am curious why you feel you need to wait a month? We have a doctor come to the training centre. If anyone’s blood pressure is a bit on the high side, they just sit for a few minutes then go again. Normally no issue. So, if I were you, I’d crack on and get it done.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks Peter.
The problem today was that my blood pressure kept on going up the more stressed I was getting.
At home with my blood pressure machine (Omron) it averages 155/85, but today it literally went bananas and it didn’t get better. Of course the environment didn’t help nor did the brusqueness of the doctor.

No-one knows better than you about how your body behaves. So you must do what you think is best for you.

All the best with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Might I suggest that you ignore the advice to take beta blockers that are unprescribed, stupid and reckless advice at the least!!

wrighty1:
Might I suggest that you ignore the advice to take beta blockers that are unprescribed, stupid and reckless advice at the least!!

+1

I don’t know too much about beta blockers but my understanding is that they have an affect on the heart and kidneys, 10 minutes reading on the internet suggests that they also affect the lungs which is why they are not prescribed for people who have certain respiratory problems.

Apparently these are some of the potential side effects of beta blockers:

• dizziness
  • tiredness
  • blurred vision
  • cold hands and feet
  • slow heartbeat
  • diarrhoea and nausea
  • sleep disturbance (insomnia)
  • loss of ■■■ drive (libido)
  • depression
  • problems getting or maintaining an erection (impotence)

When you start taking things that mess with your organs in a way they’re not designed to be messed with you’d better be prepared for any unforeseen, and potentially long term, consequences.

tachograph:

wrighty1:

+1

I don’t know too much about beta blockers but my understanding is that they have an affect on the heart and kidneys, 10 minutes reading on the internet suggests that they also affect the lungs which is why they are not prescribed for people who have certain respiratory problems.

Apparently these are some of the potential side effects of beta blockers:

• dizziness
  • tiredness
  • blurred vision
  • cold hands and feet
  • slow heartbeat
  • diarrhoea and nausea
  • sleep disturbance (insomnia)
  • loss of ■■■ drive (libido)
  • depression
  • problems getting or maintaining an erection (impotence)

When you start taking things that mess with your organs in a way they’re not designed to be messed with you’d better be prepared for any unforeseen, and potentially long term, consequences.

I am on medication for blood pressure and it was explained that beta blockers are an absolute last resort, one that I hope to avoid if I can control my diet and weight. If people are putting themselves and others at risk just for a job they need to take a serious look at themselves.

would like to help unless you’re already sorted.

Just an FYI for you in case your can’t get your BP under control: I had a problem with my BP at my driver’s medical earlier this year when I was suffering a lot of stress, the Doc never said it would be a fail. Stupidly I submitted the form and the DVLA withheld my entitlement. Subsequently I had to go to my GP for three separate BP readings with the practice nurse, all of which were less than great, then I had to have a full blood count and an ECG - all of which were fine. Then I had to wait for the Doc to fit a 24 hour BP monitor (Jeeeeezzz what a PITA that was!). The 24 hour reading averaged out OK, I got the doc to write me a letter for the DVLA and much to my relief I regained my entitlement. But… this took about two months from start to finish. I don’t think Doctors or the DVLA would give much consideration to readings taken by the driver in question nor for any effects of “white coat syndrome”.

Most of the source of my earlier stress has now been eliminated and my BP is routinely at normal levels.

Incidentally, BP normally drops significantly following moderately strenuous cardio, 30 mins at a pace that gets you out of breath, if you time it right this could make the difference between a pass and a fail.

HTH