Bit worried about my medical

I don’t have blood pressure problems. But when I’m having it taken I think too much about it and stress which puts it up!
Scared I’m not going to pass the medical because of this!

This is called “white coat syndrome”, all doctors understand this.

Basically if you can stand up and pump blood then you are a shoo-in for the medical, all the doctor is really interested in is your money. I look around the average Tesco waiting room and I don’t see too many blokes who needed to take time off this Summer because they were competing at the Olympics. :wink:

My doctor calls it white coat syndrome. You can be fine at home. But sat in front of a GP or nurse and it shoots through he roof.

Depending on how severe the readings are as to whether it will make a huge difference. It may be that the GP will monitor you over a few days and then fill in your D4.

Last time I had a medical, my blood pressure was so high that the doctor couldn’t even get a reading. He arranged for me to have a 24-hour monitor thingy fitted to my arm, every 30 minutes or so it would self-inflate and measure the reading, when I took it back to the surgery he said that my blood pressure was completely normal.

Had that last week Harry, wot a pain every 20 mins through the day then every hour at bed time… been back today says its high got to have an ecg and take tablets great innit ? when you get older ? :frowning:

When I had mine my car broke down the morning of the appointment. I barely made it to the doctors in time.

He then tested my eyes, took my BP (which was quite high) he said “I’ll just put that down to the stress”

Then he said “right, go ■■■■ on this stick and we’re all done.” lol

Basically, I would be amazed if anybody, in the entire history of the world, had ever failed an HGV medical.

LR18-8:
When I had mine my car broke down the morning of the appointment. I barely made it to the doctors in time.

He then tested my eyes, took my BP (which was quite high) he said “I’ll just put that down to the stress”

Then he said “right, go ■■■■ on this stick and we’re all done.” lol

Thanks again for the theory book and CD!

And thanks for the replies everyone. When my Mum tests it at home I’m fine but in the past at the doctors it’s always bad, not ridiculous, but higher than it should be.

Harry Monk:
Basically, I would be amazed if anybody, in the entire history of the world, had ever failed an HGV medical.

Lol so as a fairly healthy 20 year old I should pass?

Yes, it’s just a tax. You aren’t expected to be a prime example of humanity.

Harry Monk:
Yes, it’s just a tax. You aren’t expected to be a prime example of humanity.

Lol thanks, my minds settled a bit now.

I had a medical for the forklift at work, at the time I had my contact lenses in, I had to go back at another time with them taken out and re-do the eye test. :question:

Low and behold it turned out I couldn’t see the bottom line. He said I had good vision with my contacts in. Thankfully I didnt pay for the medical work paid.

If you can remain concious for the duration (less than 5 mins) then you’ll pass.

I know some places do the thermometer up your bum now as that can tell them things but it’s not too common.

But you sit down give him licence etc

Read a few letters on the wall
Blood pressure
Listen to chest
Thermometer (optional)
Go home

stagedriver:
Blood pressure
Listen to chest
Thermometer (optional)
Go home

I also had my knee and hip joints examined, anyone else had that during their medical?

Harry Monk:

Thats why i failed my medical… high blood pressure… = strokes heart attack etc , until he is satisfied i wont be back driving anything bigger than a 7.5 tonne , until then im stuck, so all you young fit drivers watch the diet and ■■■■ and booze… you should then be ok, :frowning:

shytalk:

Harry Monk:

Thats why i failed my medical… high blood pressure… = strokes heart attack etc , until he is satisfied i wont be back driving anything bigger than a 7.5 tonne , until then im stuck, so all you young fit drivers watch the diet and ■■■■ and booze… you should then be ok, :frowning:

I don’t smoke and very rarely drink. My diet isn’t that bad either. Argh just want to get it out the way.

Jesus H Christ, if you’re this worried about the medical what are you going to be like on driving test day? :wink:

Harry Monk:
Jesus H Christ, if you’re this worried about the medical what are you going to be like on driving test day? :wink:

Fine I hope. Very confident in my driving. Passed my car test only 7 weeks after my 17th and that was because it was the earliest test I could find.

The driving test comes down to me. The medical is what the doctor thinks.

It’s as easy as the medical to cannon fodder front. :laughing: come on in the waters lovely and just ignore the sharks. :wink:

LR18-8:

stagedriver:
Blood pressure
Listen to chest
Thermometer (optional)
Go home

I also had my knee and hip joints examined, anyone else had that during their medical?

Yup, had those as well (aged 50) I also had the pulse in my feet checked :open_mouth: . Blood pressure is usually OK when Doc takes it, different altogether when Denise the practice nurse takes it :wink:

Tazbug