Blood Pressure on HGV medical

Just an FYI for you in case your can’t get your BP under control: I had a problem with my BP at my driver’s medical earlier this year when I was suffering a lot of stress, the Doc never said it would be a fail. Stupidly I submitted the form and the DVLA withheld my entitlement. Subsequently I had to go to my GP for three separate BP readings with the practice nurse, all of which were less than great, then I had to have a full blood count and an ECG - all of which were fine. Then I had to wait for the Doc to fit a 24 hour BP monitor (Jeeeeezzz what a PITA that was!). The 24 hour reading averaged out OK, I got the doc to write me a letter for the DVLA and much to my relief I regained my entitlement. But… this took about two months from start to finish. I don’t think Doctors or the DVLA would give much consideration to readings taken by the driver in question nor for any effects of “white coat syndrome”.

Most of the source of my earlier stress has now been eliminated and my BP is routinely at normal levels.

Incidentally, BP normally drops significantly following moderately strenuous cardio, 30 mins at a pace that gets you out of breath, if you time it right this could make the difference between a pass and a fail.

HTH