So just started with Owens

Got a winter job working with Owens out of Llanelli, had my licence for a couple of years but not done much work with it, this should keep me going until my summer work comes back in. Anyone worked for Owens and know of anything I should be aware of? So far they appear to be a pretty tidy set up, have their fair share of Muppet drivers but with a company this size you’re bound to get a few. Very keen on letting us know how little profit they make on jobs (So no pay rise) but otherwise ok. Anyone here been with these guys?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

From what I hear they are ok, drivers are never pushed or rushed, everything legal and wages are about what you’d expect for South Wales.

A lot of waiting around can be expected if you’re doing Amazon work which you probably will be if you’re running out of Dafen, Units are pretty much all less than 3yrs old as far as I’ve seen.

Got my first shift on Monday, accompanying another driver doing work out of the steel works at Trostre. Considering my last work was with a marquee company that still ropes and sheets, and I do the same on my trailers for my summer work, would be good to just be shown what the crack is with some of the loads I’m likely to be carrying. Obviously a lot of it comes down to common sense but things like internal straps and kites are entirely new to me. Should be good though, they seem willing to be flexible with my availability as well considering I’ll be busy with my own stuff in the summer.

The fleet looks pretty tidy as well, did my assessment in a 16 plate scania, felt very spaceship like compared to either my 1999 Iveco Daily or the Leyland DAF 55 (R reg) or Mercedes Benz SK (L reg) I last drove!