Owens Transport - Bridgend

So delivering to a company in Bridgend on Friday night and noticed Owens Logistics “new” yard. Just on the Brocastle Ave in East Bridgend. Last time i have been there (few years back now) it was TDW’s yard.

They took over TDW or just TDW have moved or whatever…

shed some light as used to work down here loads few years back with my old company. Just interested really.

Thanks

TDW- ■■■■ dicks and winkers are still down bridgend ,around the back by Fords somewhere and opposite B&Q is owens ,warehouse ,and a few other companies share the same plot addis is on the other side.

Owens runs amazon vans from there now,opposite new costa coffee :open_mouth:

I picked up a bloke thumbing home once who had recently left TDW, ok i know they were based down in the back of beyond then so the money aint going to be world beating, but what he told me was simply shocking, this was round the mid 90’s, it still the same now or has Owens upped it to a liveable wage.

I’m sure someone from here who actually works for one of the south/west Wales firms will be a bit more accurate but there seems to be a sort of unwritten rule between all the firms in this neck of the woods to keep the wages at a steady rate (and relatively low)

They all seem to sort of work out roughly the same money wise when I see adverts. There are exceptions but they are rare and usually word of mouth.

Owens I’m sure offer vastly different wages between Llanelli and Droitwich for what I believe is very similar work. For a firm that sells its pro-Welsh image I think that shows it isn’t afraid to take advantage of a fairly captive and run down working population.

As mentioned before it’s a bit of a catch 22 as if your not prepared to travel you have no choice but to accept what’s on offer.

I think it’s mike68 on here goes over the bridge for work.

He isn’t on his own either. I know one bloke who commutes from Aberystwyth to Avonmouth, plenty of Welsh Downton’s drivers and there is also me that does it.

I live near Carmarthen but tramp for a firm in the Midlands. Sometimes the truck stays with me at weekends, sometimes not.

The difference in pay makes it worth it (even taking into account commuting fuel) as chances are I’d be out all week for a firm nearer home anyway. One day I’ll take the hit in the money and go to day work or quit the industry.

And as far as I know TDW is still owned by TDW.