Prompt to take a break

I am a newbie (will be driving via an agency this week in Class 2 for the first time) but have driven 7.5 ton before for multi drop (60 stops for UPS etc not 3 or 4 ) and have taken a mental note when starting my shift of my break time just before 4.5 hours and took it.

Do you experienced guys in Class 2 and 1 do the same or is there a more methodical way of doing this maybe via the tacho?

I never really used to touch the tacho apart from changes modes and inserting / removing my card perhaps I missed this on the machine

Cheers

If you push the Down arrow on your Tacho, it will show you the total driving time of your shift (Or since you took a break to reset your driving time)
At 4 hours, the tachograph alerts you to having 30 minutes of driving time left, then does a count down. From memory when you have 15 minutes left, it flashes like crazy.

If you don’t hit 4.5 hours driving time before 6 hours, you need to take a break before 6 hours of Other Work + Driving Time combined

Hyh:
If you push the Down arrow on your Tacho, it will show you the total driving time of your shift (Or since you took a break to reset your driving time)
At 4 hours, the tachograph alerts you to having 30 minutes of driving time left, then does a count down. From memory when you have 15 minutes left, it flashes like crazy.

Some tachos may well do that - but all the VDO units I’ve used only flash up a warning when you reach 4h15 driving time and then again when you reach 4h30. I’ve never seen a 30 minute countdown or any form of alert on reaching 4h00.

Roymondo:

Hyh:

Some tachos may well do that - but all the VDO units I’ve used only flash up a warning when you reach 4h15 driving time and then again when you reach 4h30. I’ve never seen a 30 minute countdown or any form of alert on reaching 4h00.

^ Same.

Roymondo:

Hyh:

Yes I agree. I’ve been alerted only at 4hrs15mins and then at 4hrs30. But as said earlier press the down arrow and keep a check on your driving time.

Remember the WTD rules too. You can take a 15 minutes break then a 30 minute break but not the other way around or it won’t count. Or 45 minutes all in one go

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

I write it down on a notepad on the dash. Sometimes the old ways are the best.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

El Deano:
I write it down on a notepad on the dash. Sometimes the old ways are the best.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

For my break I always ate for 15mins, and slept for 45mins, refreshed the old fartz way! (until they installed trackers!) :grimacing: