Class 1 fail

As the title says, managed to fail my Class 1 test this morning and I’m feeling really disappointed in myself. It’s not a huge deal, it took me a couple of tries to pass my Class 2 but it’s another trip to the test centre and about another £400 out of my arse pocket.

I had 6 faults in total, 2 of which were serious. The first serious fault threw me off (after I’d suspected i’d fudged it up) then another one followed soon after and added to it. The first serious was on the the independent drive, I missed the sign on approach to a round about (Due to a car transporter unloading to the Audi garage there) and took the left lane thinking I’d go straight over, when approaching the 2nd (straight over) exit the instructor stopped me and made me turn right, his reasoning was if I’d taken that turn I’d have been on a road to the middle of nowhere. Felt a little hard done to with that one as I was positioned correctly for the exit I thought I was taking. In the end I had to take an exit past 12o’clock in the left lane which gave me a serious. Shortly after I pulled out in front of a Jack Richards truck which was travelling a lot faster than I’d thought at the time.

Oh well it’s all a learning curve, but obviously I’m gutted right now. ffs :angry:

Bad luck.

If it makes you feel better I took 3 attempts :blush:

Just chalk it up to experience and you will be better prepared for next time with the experience

No sympathy for pulling out on Mr Richards!! But I feel you have been dealt a rough pack of cards with the roundabout. As a rule, an examiner will give guidance for lanes if signs/road markings are obscured. And that might have made the difference.

But it’s difficult to say any more without having been there at the time.

Better luck next time - - and leave other lorries alone!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks for the replies guys.

Peter Smythe:
No sympathy for pulling out on Mr Richards!! But I feel you have been dealt a rough pack of cards with the roundabout. As a rule, an examiner will give guidance for lanes if signs/road markings are obscured. And that might have made the difference.

He did tell me at the end in the recap that the sign wasn’t totally obscured (but I personally think it did severely limit my chances of seeing it), I think I may have been too fixated on getting around the car transporter parked close to the entrance to the round about to notice the sign. I should’ve known not to go straight because I’d never been up that way on my lessons but panic must’ve taken over. Live and learn eh. Cheers Pete.

Edit: I’ve just had a quick look on google maps, if the sign is was overgrown now as it was back then then what chance would anybody have haha -
but yeah the car transporter was sat sight beside it. Google Maps

On my test during the independent drive I had a badly obscured sign due to overgrown hedge. My examiner noticed as I did and said ’ I’ll give you that one’ and told me which lane to get into.

So deffinately think you’ve been a bit hard done by. I’m still annoyed I failed my first car test as I’ve always felt I was put into a damned if you do damned if you don’t situation.

Best of luck for next time.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

After thinking some more, I got told on my test which way to go as the examiner wasn’t sure I could see the sign due to a truck in front. I could see it but was nice he gave the help.

I do wonder if you may have got away with it if you hadn’t have made the other mistake. He may have decided to list both seeing as you were going to fail anyway

You did not fail mate, you had deferred success, it took me three times to pass due to nerves.
Born on a dairy farm, driving tractors/trailers as a kid didn’t make it easier.
Driving artics, the brain has to compute about five things at the same time.
On a test day, the stress is horrible.
I now treat every road user and any type of vehicle as a spoilt child.
Expect the unexpected at any time.
Expect the toys to be thrown out the pram .

And grown adults turn in to five year olds .
See a removal van/ lorry parked by a house, expect porters to walk out in the road carrying a chest of drawers, their vision obscured due to the height.

Scaffolding lorry parked up, will some poles come out at you ?
Mud on the road on a bend, is a tractor around the corner stopped in the road so he can open the gate to get in his field ?
A BT van on the bend, they work in pairs, expect the other van is on the next bend.