Got a start

Big thanks to all the guys on here for the encouragement and words of wisdom, to Peter Smythe Transport Training and Tim who managed to coax me into a semblance of competence.
Passed Cat C Wednesday 22nd November, and after listening to advice on here, I put my boots, (polished) work gear and hi viz (clean) on and took a walk round my local hauliers to show them my pass certificate. Long and short of it, I got a start for Friday !
Volvo 26t fridge wagon with split 6/12 box, I have been honest and told them I have no experience of that and they are happy to work with me.
Getting nervous again now, see you on the road.

speedy9764:
Big thanks to all the guys on here for the encouragement and words of wisdom, to Peter Smythe Transport Training and Tim who managed to coax me into a semblance of competence.
Passed Cat C Wednesday 22nd November, and after listening to advice on here, I put my boots, (polished) work gear and hi viz (clean) on and took a walk round my local hauliers to show them my pass certificate. Long and short of it, I got a start for Friday !
Volvo 26t fridge wagon with split 6/12 box, I have been honest and told them I have no experience of that and they are happy to work with me.
Getting nervous again now, see you on the road.

Brilliant news mate. Go get em!!!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Well done mate, I passed my class C last week too, but I think I will wait until my licence has came back. Good luck in your new job
Cheers Paul

Well done & Tim is good :sunglasses:

Well done and all the best for the new job.

looking forward to hearing how it goes :smiley:

Well done you!

Keep us posted.

Excellent and well done. See you down the road.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Brilliant news. Well done!

You say it’s “6/12” box. That sounds very much like a splitter. In some ways this is more simple than it’s counterpart - a range change. You’ll find out how to use a splitter in advice given by ROG. But if you’ve any specific questions, you know where I am.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Went to site early to get an idea of the process they follow and to give me chance to do a long walk round check, stow all my stuff in the wagon as it is going to be “mine”.
Paperwork and inductions done, walk round checks done and signed, split gear box explained, yard fueling done, my guide says OK, put it on the bay. Left hand reversed on, first time, straight. Warehouse loaded the wagon, pulled forward, checked the load was strapped and closed the doors.
Dispatch notes in hand, good luck, away you go. 177 miles to Darlington, ALDI RDC, very helpful lads on the gate told me my bay, in and another left reverse, remembered to stop 2 yards short and open the doors, backed on to the bay straight, into the office, site induction done, good shift helped me tip as it was my first time there, stamped my delivery notes and I was away. Once off site, parked up for tacho break and then headed back to the yard, washed and cleaned the wagon and put her to bed.
Transport Manager says thank you, would you like the same run again tomorrow. Yes please.
Time for a bit more research on the split box and “half” gears to get the best out of it, but loved it.

Glad all went well for you…

Well done! And sounds like a fantastic first day. Just proves that a little bit action makes a difference and everything is possible.

Sounds like you had a really good first day, keep up the good work!

Many thanks to all participants,

Day 2 was a repeat of Day 1 but I was able to actually enjoy the drive more,
Off today but going to wander into the yard and do a few cleaning bits inside the cab, she needs a bit of TLC as it seems she has been used as a bit of an occasional mule, but she is mine now and as I may even get nights out, I want to give her a good spring clean.

All the best

Sounds like you got off to a good start - good for you pal - put up some pics :smiley:

Thank you again to everyone who has commented.

The adventure continues, went in Sunday to spend some time giving the wagon a good clean out and got asked if I could do a run, and did I have my bag with me, Yes and Yes were the answers so loaded up to Aldi in Chelmsford, a night in a layby on the A12 a few miles before the M25. Collection first thing in Purfleet and 14.1 tonnes of Palm Oil blocks on the back and its back to base.
Get back to be told i would be on days till Thursday, then 5 minutes later, scrap that, can you be in for 4.30am, for a Worcs, Kiddlington and then Falmouth run, you will be out over night again.
Yes please… not living the dream yet, but its getting there

PS, I am doing much better with the lever and switch on the gear stick. If any of you guys do get held up behind me, SORRY, im getting there.

Definitely sounds like a great start for you! Well done!