Instructor kept nodding off!

I’m not new on here but have had to create a new login as my old posts would give away the driving school and I don’t want to embarrass them as they are well thought of on here. In fact it was this very forum that convinced me to go with them.
Overall the trading was good and the instructor was good. However, after a couple of hours he would nod off. I had three days of driving for four hours approx and it happened every day. I would have to cough and he would jolt back into action and then nod off again. At one point I said to him you dropped off for a second which he denied.
In the end I got a bit upset that I had paid such a lot of money and thought I should have had his undivided attention.
I failed my test with 2 minors and 1 serious, I pulled out at a roundabout which caused a car to slow down.
Me failing is not the fault of the instructor but the more I think about it the more upset I am that I had to ask him for feedback on certain situations because he was not paying attention.
My question is do I say anything to the boss of the school or not? I don’t want to get him in trouble as when he was on form he was good.

OliversGrandad:
I’m not new on here but have had to create a new login as my old posts would give away the driving school and I don’t want to embarrass them as they are well thought of on here. In fact it was this very forum that convinced me to go with them.
Overall the trading was good and the instructor was good. However, after a couple of hours he would nod off. I had three days of driving for four hours approx and it happened every day. I would have to cough and he would jolt back into action and then nod off again. At one point I said to him you dropped off for a second which he denied.
In the end I got a bit upset that I had paid such a lot of money and thought I should have had his undivided attention.
I failed my test with 2 minors and 1 serious, I pulled out at a roundabout which caused a car to slow down.
Me failing is not the fault of the instructor but the more I think about it the more upset I am that I had to ask him for feedback on certain situations because he was not paying attention.
My question is do I say anything to the boss of the school or not? I don’t want to get him in trouble as when he was on form he was good.

Well if it had been me I would have complained the second time it happened not waited until after I’d failed the test to complain.

Sorry but the fact that you say this happened on three different days and yet you’ve said nothing until you’ve failed the test makes it look like it’s just sour grapes and probably never really happened.

OliversGrandad:

You MUST contact the boss of the school ASAP because many more are likely to get the same instructor

How can it be resolved if nobody says anything :question:

tachograph:

OliversGrandad:

Ip

Well if it had been me I would have complained the second time it happened not waited until after I’d failed the test to complain.

Sorry but the fact that you say this happened on three different days and yet you’ve said nothing until you’ve failed the test makes it look like it’s just sour grapes and probably never really happened.

If you my post again I’m not blaiming him for me failing the test.
I didn’t say anything because I was with him every day and you can imagine how embarrassing that would have been each day. I just wanted to knuckle down and get my course finished without the stress and hassle of sitting with someone I had just grassed up.
The fact I failed is neither here nor there, if I had passed I would still be asking " should I say anything"?

I think it’s you who nodded off at the roundabout.

OliversGrandad:
If you my post again I’m not blaiming him for me failing the test.
I didn’t say anything because I was with him every day and you can imagine how embarrassing that would have been each day. I just wanted to knuckle down and get my course finished without the stress and hassle of sitting with someone I had just grassed up.
The fact I failed is neither here nor there, if I had passed I would still be asking " should I say anything"?

Fair enough but I’m just saying the way it looks when you leave the complaint until after you failed the test, anyway I agree with ROG, you should contact the company boss privately and make him aware of your concerns.

SuperMultiBlue:
I think it’s you who nodded off at the roundabout.

:smiley: like an idiot it felt like I was waiting and waiting and a huge queue of traffic had built up and I thought I might get a mark for hesitating. :blush:

The post is not for me to complain about me failing, I know that was my stupid fault, I am not looking for compensation etc…I was just simply asking would you say anything?

Well given how much training costs if it’s not upto standard for any reason then I’d definitely be telling them about it. Though I’d have made a bigger deal at the time.

Secondly if it’s a regular problem for this instructor then it’s not fair on every other student. And if it is a regular thing others may have complained so yours adds weight to the issue.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Think it’s obvious who it is,only really one driving school that gets talked about on here :wink:

xichrisxi:
Think it’s obvious who it is,only really one driving school that gets talked about on here :wink:

It’s none of the forum sponsors by the way. (The company in question had been recommended highly when I asked on a post “can anybody recommend a good training company in the “…part of the country””)

You should have brought it up whilst you were training. Nodding off asleep whilst instructing someone to drive a vehicle let alone a HGV is not acceptable.

It could be the guy has had a sleepless night it does happen to all of us sometimes, but it’s still worth mentioning to the school about the issue.

It could also be a regular thing he does depending on age etc. But staying awake at work isn’t that hard for the average person.

So should you complain about it yes you have a right to say your piece, whether that do anything about it is up to them.

do tell the company, yes.

It is NOT acceptable under many reasons but mainly because he is instructing you on how to drive an HGV, which is a HUGE heavy vehicle and when things go wrong with it they are likely to be far worse than in a small/lighter vehicle.

You the driver are responsible in case of any accidents, however he would also be responsible as the instructor, he must be alert at all times, not just because he owes it to you but he owes it to public safety as well and his company.

I don’t think he had a ‘late night’ as this happened on more than one occasion, but even if he did, this is NOT an excuse, you are at work and so you should work with full capabilities even if you are not driving you are supervising!

No I would not hesitate at all in telling the boss of the school, I’d probably even tell at first then if it happens again i’d put it in writing as well as verbally as it would be a recurring problem, the man could just have any problems including family troubles/financial problems/health issues, he needs to sort it out somehow and ‘may’ need help who knows.

I know I may sound a little heavy in this but I think it ‘is’ a problem which can’t be ignored.

I’ll be quite now :slight_smile:

Best wishes for your 2nd attempt, it took me 3 to pass (but 2nd was not a fail, test ct yard has a broken down vehicle in it so I could not take the test) and the roundabout thing…well I think it catches all of us, it did with me as well, and once you’ve passed you will be slowing down cars and other vehicles at roundabout many more times :smiley:

I would ask for my money back, you paid for training but didn’t get it with Mr Dozy or Mr Kipper on your left seat.
He has a responsibility to you and other road users.
It sounds like sleep apnea, where excessive snoring blocks the airways and you stop breathing for a few seconds, it leads to fatigue in the day.
Was he overweight or had a thick neck ?

toby1234abc:
I would ask for my money back, you paid for training but didn’t get it with Mr Dozy or Mr Kipper on your left seat.
He has a responsibility to you and other road users.
It sounds like sleep apnea, where excessive snoring blocks the airways and you stop breathing for a few seconds, it leads to fatigue in the day.
Was he overweight or had a thick neck ?

It could well be sleep apnea as you say.
However Im not going to ask for my money back as I feel overall the training was great and he knew his stuff It was just later on in the lessons after a long drive (especially when it was the independent drive practice) he would nod off and I would have to cough or ask a question and he would perk up so to speak.
my fail had no bearing on the instructor it was my mistake but everyone is right, I should have a word with the boss.

My first instructor kept losing the head when I couldn’t get the reverse in an artic, so much to the point that he stopped and said you just arnt getting it, there’s nothing more I can do for you, totally deflated me, and told me to drive back to yard as he had enough. Got back to the yard and he said I’ll see you tomorrow, I said go and ■■■■ yourself, if I’m not “getting it” then that’s your problem not mine. Needless to say I passed with someone else

I remember doing my car test the examiner fell asleep needless to say i passed with one minor

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk