Time for a decision!

I passed my C+E in the military in 1997 and apart from driving 4 tonners never drove a Artic again. I came on here after Christmas to see what it was all about and how to get current again. Well, I passed my medical and my CPC mod 2 and tomorrow I’m going to a training provider to look at my CPC mod 4 and to look at doing some refresher training.

The reason for posting is that I’m thinking I might have bitten off more than I can chew! I’m sure I’ll be able to pass my mod 4 with training and application but will I be able to drive the bleeding thing?? And just as importantly will I get a job??

I’m 47 and working in the public sector at the moment but this is something I want to do. Am I being completely unrealistic before I fork money out for the next part??

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Matt

No I done the same as you. Passed my test in Army and never drove an artic otherwise. Driving car transporters now and loving it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tucker9037:
No I done the same as you. Passed my test in Army and never drove an artic otherwise. Driving car transporters now and loving it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s good to hear mate. Did you get some refresher training and go straight to artics?
I’m sure it’ll be a bit different to Leconfield!

Guy I used to work with passed in the army in a w n d. I was driving cat c with him double manned. 10 years since he passed his test and never drove an artic in his life. He did it and never had any refresher training, just swapped over one day to the night trunk. Wouldn’t recommend it, I have drove an artic a couple of years back and I want at least a days refresher training before I get in one on my own.

I’ll definitely be doing some refresher training!

I hadn’t turned a wheel in years. Booked a refresher morning first attempt on a reverse, suffice it to say the instructor said “I’m not even angry. I just never thought it possible to tie an articulated vehicle in a reef knot”

Couple of hours and a bucket of sweat later it was all sorted. It is a perishable skill but but you can recover it.

Sent from my Lenovo TB3-710F using Tapatalk

max259:
I hadn’t turned a wheel in years. Booked a refresher morning first attempt on a reverse, suffice it to say the instructor said “I’m not even angry. I just never thought it possible to tie an articulated vehicle in a reef knot”

Couple of hours and a bucket of sweat later it was all sorted. It is a perishable skill but but you can recover it.

Just to add. I walked straight into work assessment with one of their lads (reverse that on there and that and then a quick interview. Can you start on Monday.

Where are you from Matt?

jbaz73:
Where are you from Matt?

Sheffield

Try Peter Smythe. That’s where I’m going, good price, good training, highly recommended.

Matt,

What kind of work are you looking for?

I’m in the RAF and do some part time driving on leave and the odd Sat/Sun. The lad I do work for is ex Royal Anglian and he’s just upping his fleet from 3 to 5 trucks. He runs out of Immingham docks for various shipping lines like DFDS, DSV etc… and he wants trampers.

If you’re interested PM me and I’ll pass you his number. Being ex Army he love forces and prefers to employ them. I’m sure if you were the right bloke, he would take you out on the road to get you back into the swing of things once you were CPC’d up.

ako444:
Matt,

What kind of work are you looking for?

I’m in the RAF and do some part time driving on leave and the odd Sat/Sun. The lad I do work for is ex Royal Anglian and he’s just upping his fleet from 3 to 5 trucks. He runs out of Immingham docks for various shipping lines like DFDS, DSV etc… and he wants trampers.

If you’re interested PM me and I’ll pass you his number. Being ex Army he love forces and prefers to employ them. I’m sure if you were the right bloke, he would take you out on the road to get you back into the swing of things once you were CPC’d up.

PM sent, thanks

Work is not a problem either, if you don’t mind agency, they can keep you constantly busy. May need to shop around in January but the work is there.