Class 1 Experience

Hi guys,

I passed class 2 in 2010 and then class 1 in 2012, both whilst in the army. I’m in the middle of doing my CPC at present, should have it in the bag next week but have been looking for work in the meantime.

In all honesty I haven’t driven class 1 since my test which was a waggon and drag. I realise I may not appeal to most firms as I have no experience and a growing 4 year gap since I have driven anything C+E. To that effect a local agency has advised I take refresher training in order to shorten the gap and become more employable.

Its class 1 work I’m after but, with no current work and a baby to feed, I don’t have the hundreds it will cost for this training. I guess I’m just seeking anyone who may be able to advise me on how I could go about maybe getting this kind of position in the situation I’m in?

I have potentially landed a class 2 multi drop job at the local hermes depot, which I thought may be a foot in the door and they may eventually give me a shot on the bigger trucks. I’m a little bit sceptical only for the fact that I’m worried I’ll get stuck on class 2, in which case the gap between 2012 and present will only grow!

Any help is much appreciated.

Ben

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Welcome pal! :smiley:

I really wouldn’t worry about refresher training, it’s a waste of money…

As for getting a start on Class 2 and being stuck on that, I really wouldn’t worry as long as the firm runs Artic’s as well…
You can bet your bottom dollar that at some point very soon, they will be short an Artic driver and need to find someone! :wink:

Also in the meantime while you’re still on the oversided VAN’s, it doesn’t stop you getting a bit of artic practice in the yard.

Best of luck pal! :smiley:

Hi mate, I would take the class 2 job and just get yourself on the road for a while and show your worth etc and then keep plugging away at the tm in your depot for a day here and there on the artic under supervision, I’m sure if you show your reliable and a grafter they will give you a shot mate but you need to get on the road and clock some miles up

I really wouldn’t worry about refresher training, it’s a waste of money…

I don’t agree with that. Firstly, with no experience of artic (and so, presumably, no knowledge of coupling/uncoupling/steering/reversing) there is a considerable gap in skills. Recently qualified w+d drivers will often be able to pick this up, one way or another, and are able to sort it out. But that 4 year gap is a concern.

However, it’s irrelevant as there’s no training funds available.

My advice would be to take the job on offer and try and get experience/practice on artic with them. If that doesn’t work out, do refresher training and look for a class 1 job when you’re comfortable.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I’m in your boat, except I’m still serving and I have only had my class one a few months.

People don’t like to touch you because you have little or no hours on your tacho, what I have done is sign up with a few agencies. They text me every week and ask my availability and I haven’t had a day when they haven’t found me work, they might start you off on vans or 7.5t work but in all honesty I think it’s good to do, it gives you an idea about routes/loading bays/delivery notes/tachos/drivers hours/wtd and all sorts more before you get let loose in a class one with a company you might end up wanting to impress and work for long term.

It only took about two weeks of work before they threw me into a class one job, at the end of the day you have the licence and they need to fill a gap. And if you have taken the smaller work you will be fairly used to everything except the actual vehicle.

Long story short, get yourself signed up with an agency to get some hours if that class 2 job doesn’t work out. The class 2 job will be good for you because it’s garunteed to put hours on your card.

Evil8Beezle:
As for getting a start on Class 2 and being stuck on that, I really wouldn’t worry as long as the firm runs Artic’s as well…
You can bet your bottom dollar that at some point very soon, they will be short an Artic driver and need to find someone! :wink:

Also in the meantime while you’re still on the oversided VAN’s, it doesn’t stop you getting a bit of artic practice in the yard.

Best of luck pal! :smiley:

^^^ That. Take the job and you never know where it will lead. One thing is that it’s closer to where you want to be than driving a transit or sitting at home.

We have two ex Army lads on for us, employed both whilst they were under 25, both with minimal experience, both employed on Artics. I always say that it’s worth knocking on the doors of smaller haulage companies that are more flexible and probably run by people who remember how hard it was for them when they started out. The first one we came across when he was working elsewhere and was impressed by his general attitude and then he had a mate. Moral of the story, you never know who you might bump into as you are delivering.

Personally I’d say at least a day refresher would be good as Pete says, if only to familiarise yourself with the difference between wag and drag and pulling a trailer.

good luck.

Thanks for the info guys, I really appreciate it. As it happens, I’m off to a rocky start. Had to take the little one to out of hours early on this morning and wasn’t discharged until 8am, which was the same time as my case studies theory test!

Ahh the joys of parenthood. Anyways, it just means I’ll have to wait a little longer but the original plan still stands, if the offer is still open when I pass the CPC.

I like the refresher training idea too, but will have to get a job to save the pennies anyway so two birds one stone really. If someone gave me the keys to an artic at the moment I’d hand them straight back. I’ve always been a kinda “learn as you go” type of guy but in this situation I think I’ll choose the sensible option [emoji4]

albion:
I always say that it’s worth knocking on the doors of smaller haulage companies that are more flexible and probably run by people who remember how hard it was for them when they started out…

… Moral of the story, you never know who you might bump into as you are delivering.

This and thrice this^^^

All day every day and twice on Sundays!!

I’ve had an update regarding the above conversation. I have been offered a position with a local firm, who are fully aware I have no experience, as a class 1 driver. They have offered to train me up to standard on wages of £50 per day until they feel I’m ready and off ill go, standard rates. Personally, I think this is a great opportunity for someone in my position but what do you think?

Go for it. If you’re cut out for it, you won’t be on £50 a day for long, and if you’re hopeless (and you’ll be the first to realise it) it won’t have cost you a fortune.

Personally I’d have had a go at the refresher route, but each to their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was the plan originally but whilst I’m not working I can only afford a single 4 hour session. Catch 22 really. But when this firm called and offered me basically the same thing for free and with a job at the end of it, I can’t really refuse it.

Well I passed my mod 4 and immediately went and got myself a job with a local firm, John Raymond.

I’m over the moon about being given a chance on class 1 with no experience but after being taken on an assessment drive I realised although I will enjoy it, I will also struggle, at least to begin with.

I’ve seen some good advice dotted around the forums so will just have to take my time, take wider births (as I scrubbed the kerb once or twice today) and get myself familiar with the wagon I’ll be using (MAN Tgx I think). Any pointers on this particular model?