CPC Course Choices

Just wondered if you can do pretty much anything with regards to gaining CPC hours or does it depend on whether the company has been authorised to offer certain courses?

So for example if someone did class 1 but wanted more reversing experience and decided to do a couple of half days or a full day would that give 7 hours?

Thanks.

It has to be an approved course.

We could do this.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks Pete. I was hoping to do my training with you at some point. Would that be the same one-to-one as normal training or is there requirements for classroom based training? So are you authorised to offer any types of driver training towards CPC hours. If someone wanted to gain manual experience? Can you mix and match as well? A few hours in manual, few hours reversing, training on how to use the digitial tachograph, etc…

EDIT
Should have mentioned I would be planning to do class 1 either after gaining class 2 or once I have gained some experience. Only really want container work probably won’t get much experience elsewhere with class 2 especially as I’ve got little interest in multidrop/handball. So I would obviously get some CPC hours from class 1 so just a case in wanting to get the full 35 some how. Advice appreciated on best way of doing it but focusing on driver training only.

A day on the road (7hrs) is going to qualify for the cpc hours as it is all under the heading of “safe and economic driving”. So yes, manual practice would count. Tacho and drivers’ hours is another course. We have other training approved covering routeing, planning, loading, health/safety, personal security and well-being, vehicle/load security etc etc.

All our driving courses are 1:1 whilst the classroom sessions are between 10 and 20.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

If I’m out on the road doing a 7 hour session can the instructor cover anything that would normally be done in a classroom, even if it means pulling up somewhere or back at your centre and do it from there?

Put simply, no. If you’re doing a module on safe and economic driving, then that is the subject and that’s it. But, having completed the 7 hours, if there’s a question or 2 you need answering, no problem.

There are folks out there that will bend the rules beyond recognition, but I’m not one of them.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I was thinking of things like operating digital tachograph/manual entries type of thing or more detailed help on daily checks, stuff like that which I suppose could (at a push maybe) fall within the remit of safe and economic driving.

Would somebody not be able to do that module more than once as it would cover the same stuff? Or can it be used to focus on reversing. Other occasions it can focus on something else?

Having said all that it would probably be an expensive option trying to do all 35 hours out on the road rather than in a classroom.

I was thinking of things like operating digital tachograph/manual entries type of thing or more detailed help on daily checks, stuff like that which I suppose could (at a push maybe) fall within the remit of safe and economic driving.

Daily checks form a vital component of safe and economic driving. IMO, manual entries don’t. But this is something that could be dealt with at the end of the course. Takes no more than 10 minutes.

Pete :laughing: :laughing: