Looking to the future

Ok so I’m currently serving in the forces and will be completing my Class 1&2 in the near future in preparation for me leaving.
I’m currently waiting on a start date for the prison service but clearly I will be looking to work as a driver aswell.
Clearly this means I will be interested in agency work due to hopefully having other employment. I’m just looking for some advice on 1 which agency’s will be best for gaining experience and work in the northwest area. 2, how difficult is it really for a young inexperienced driver to get work driving?
Any advice will be greatly received.
Thanks

Under EU regs you will only be able to drive for one day every other weekend if working in another job mon-fri due to the weekly rest laws

Well that’s thrown a spanner in the works. Correct me if I’m wrong but The issue of commiting to Driving at the age of 24 with no previous experience I think I will struggle to find secure and guaranteed employment in this field?

krisregt7518:
Well that’s thrown a spanner in the works. Correct me if I’m wrong but The issue of commiting to Driving at the age of 24 with no previous experience I think I will struggle to find secure and guaranteed employment in this field?

Nope you’ll get work, as currently anyone with a pulse can get a start if persistent.

But at the age of 24, I’d be more concerned about what you’re doing for a living at age 44, when trucks pretty drive themselves…

krisregt7518:
Ok so I’m currently serving in the forces and will be completing my Class 1&2 in the near future in preparation for me leaving.
I’m currently waiting on a start date for the prison service but clearly I will be looking to work as a driver aswell.
Clearly this means I will be interested in agency work due to hopefully having other employment. I’m just looking for some advice on 1 which agency’s will be best for gaining experience and work in the northwest area. 2, how difficult is it really for a young inexperienced driver to get work driving?
Any advice will be greatly received.
Thanks

Hi,
there’s a lot of crap agencies out there but I think these here ok…ish

Just have a chat and register with them and take it from there.

It helps if you register with a few agencies.

Otherwise Eddie Stobart and Malcolm > These haulage companies give newbies most time a go but they don’t have the best image around drivers. But to start and gain experience it should be fine.

Also Palmer and Harveys, Bidvest snd Brakes (all food services) can be ok if you don’t mind some graft in your work.

You will find work but it won’t probably be the super, highly payed fantastic, cushy driving job for a newbie.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Evil8Beezle:

krisregt7518:

Nope you’ll get work, as currently anyone with a pulse can get a start if persistent.

But at the age of 24, I’d be more concerned about what you’re doing for a living at age 44, when trucks pretty drive themselves…

A lot of it’s luck frankly, you might struggle, you might land on your feet. I took on a 23 and a 24 year old out of the Army and it’s worked out well for me and them.

Now I really don’t know what too do, do I take the career in the prison or do I look to drive professionally! I’m more pulled towards the driving but like was mentioned early where does that leave me in 20 years time when trucks practically drive themselves. Nobody knows where there industry will be in 20 years and then I’m 45 and jobless and skilless

krisregt7518:
Now I really don’t know what too do, do I take the career in the prison or do I look to drive professionally! I’m more pulled towards the driving but like was mentioned early where does that leave me in 20 years time when trucks practically drive themselves. Nobody knows where there industry will be in 20 years and then I’m 45 and jobless and skilless

I don’t have a crystal ball mate so don’t know for sure, but thought it was worth mentioning, as I do believe it’s a consideration…
Personally I think trucks will be doing most of the motorways miles themselves before that, but again I don’t know!

Sorry I’m not much help! :confused:

krisregt7518:

But maybe prisons will become more automated?

As an older person, I can tell you that something will come along and blindside you. You may find that you do a computer degree, meet a lady sheep farmer from the outback and emigrate, drop dead while playing 5 a side football from an undiagnosed heart condition. My point is you can’t plan things that much, so you may as well do what you think you want to do.

albion:

Evil8Beezle:

krisregt7518:

A lot of it’s luck frankly, you might struggle, you might land on your feet. I took on a 23 and a 24 year old out of the Army and it’s worked out well for me and them.

I’d say that’s down to the Army and how they drill stuff into the lads/ladies. Discipline and committed and hard working.

It would be very different with two other lads there ages these days that have not served.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Evil8Beezle:

krisregt7518:

I don’t have a crystal ball mate so don’t know for sure, but thought it was worth mentioning, as I do believe it’s a consideration…
Personally I think trucks will be doing most of the motorways miles themselves before that, but again I don’t know!

Stop scaremongering people lol. You will not see a driverless truck on the road regardless of how great technology gets it will always need a human there incase it ■■■■■ up.

This bollox about trucks driving themselves is just a fantasy remember anyone can drive a truck forward even a computer. Stick it in reverse and it’s a different matter. My car has parking assistance I still have to control the gas.

Op… personally I’d avoid Prison work. Read too many stories from screws stating how prisons are run and who’s running them.

JaxDemon:
Stop scaremongering people lol. You will not see a driverless truck on the road regardless of how great technology gets it will always need a human there incase it [zb] up.

This bollox about trucks driving themselves is just a fantasy remember anyone can drive a truck forward even a computer. Stick it in reverse and it’s a different matter. My car has parking assistance I still have to control the gas.

Can we guess you`ve not got a Tesla then?

I didn’t think that they will ever be able to 100% replace the human element, I absolutely love driving hence why considering doing it for a living but I also like the thought of going into another disciplined job where I think the skills I have obtained through my years service will be beneficially. That been said, clearly the prison service is in turmoil at the minute haha. Maybe I just like stress…not

JaxDemon:

Evil8Beezle:

krisregt7518:

Stop scaremongering people lol. You will not see a driverless truck on the road regardless of how great technology gets it will always need a human there incase it [zb] up.

I disagree when it comes to the main trunking aspect mate, and I think it would be highly beneficial if all vehicles on a motorway knew what the others were going to do. Things would flow so much better, be less stressful, and as long as I don’t have to hover the steering wheel I’ll tolerate it. And by tolerate it I mean the degrading of the job further along with the wages. :cry: Yes we might be doing the odd bit of driving in 20 years time, but don’t expect to be well rewarded when it gets to that! It’s coming pal, companies are spending billions, and they are not doing it for fun…

Evil8Beezle:

JaxDemon:

Evil8Beezle:

krisregt7518:

I disagree when it comes to the main trunking aspect mate, and I think it would be highly beneficial if all vehicles on a motorway knew what the others were going to do. Things would flow so much better, be less stressful, and as long as I don’t have to hover the steering wheel I’ll tolerate it. And by tolerate it I mean the degrading of the job further along with the wages. :cry: Yes we might be doing the odd bit of driving in 20 years time, but don’t expect to be well rewarded when it gets to that! It’s coming pal, companies are spending billions, and they are not doing it for fun…

But you just stated why it won’t happen. Too many drivers are unpredictable especially inpatient car drivers this is why it will never happen.

Where have I said it won’t happen! :confused:

Driverless vehicles will be able to deal with drivers controlling other vehicles, but be able to deal with other driverless vehicles more efficiently. As such there will be a big push towards increasing the number and improving overall efficiency of the country.

Regardless of whether we a doing a bit of driving at the end bits or not, the fact that we aren’t needed for a lot of it dumbs it down, and doesn’t make it a sound bet for a full 40-50 year career…

Evil8Beezle:
Where have I said it won’t happen! :confused:

Driverless vehicles will be able to deal with drivers controlling other vehicles, but be able to deal with other driverless vehicles more efficiently. As such there will be a big push towards increasing the number and improving overall efficiency of the country.

Regardless of whether we a doing a bit of driving at the end bits or not, the fact that we aren’t needed for a lot of it dumbs it down, and doesn’t make it a sound bet for a full 40-50 year career…

I should have worded it better. You stated it would be good to have vehicles on the road which know what others are doing/going to do.

Issue is they can’t predict human behaviour. Texting and driving being one of the flaws humans have well idiot ones.