Assessment Tomorrow

I’ve got an assessment drive booked in for tomorrow morning… My first one, and the first time I’ll be behind the wheel since my test at the end of January.

I drove out to the yard on Saturday to scope it out, quite glad I made the effort as it’s not that obvious where you need to go at first - I’ll be stressed enough without needing to ask for directions!

It’s going to be morning rush hour, so an extra challenge there. I think I’ve covered all the obvious stuff:

Clean clothes
given my boots a once over
Gloves
Licence, digicard, cpc card
Clean car (got a hiviz in the boot, just in case they don’t provide)

I’ve had a brush up on drivers hours and a few other bits and bobs. I seem to remember a great post by Winseer (maybe■■?) summarising drivers hours more clearly than I’ve seen anywhere else, but my search-fu is letting me down at the moment, so if anyone can dig it up for me, I’d appreciate it.

I will probably be going out in an XF105 - so Arsetronic gearbox. Remember to give it time at junctions. Stick it in ‘turtle’ mode for reversing to make life easier. There might be chance it’s an Actros, which will be completely new to me.

As far as using the tacho goes, they already know I’m green as spring grass and have said they’ll talk me through it.

Slow and steady wins the race and all that, I suppose! Oh, and try not to leave clench marks on the steering wheel or seat! :blush: :laughing:

Any sage words of advice would be appreciated, and in return I’ll try not to beach it over a traffic island in the middle of Chatham tomorrow!

EDIT: Oh, and if you don’t have any advice, wisecracks and/or crossed fingers always go down well!!!

slowlane:
I’ve had a brush up on drivers hours and a few other bits and bobs. I seem to remember a great post by Winseer (maybe■■?) summarising drivers hours more clearly than I’ve seen anywhere else, but my search-fu is letting me down at the moment, so if anyone can dig it up for me, I’d appreciate it.

Muckles is going to be offended mate! :smiley:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=134561

And my advice is don’t hit anything, especially the bosses motor! :grimacing:

Best of luck…

Best of luck!

Best of luck bud [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve never had any problems with DAFs at junctions. The Actros, however…

Drive it like you own it, treat it like a lady, be gentle, show the assessor that you’ll take care of their equipment.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Best of luck.

Drive it like you stole it :smiley:

Good Luck

As ORC said,treat it like yer woman. Good luck :smiley:

slowlane:
I’ve got an assessment drive booked in for tomorrow morning… My first one, and the first time I’ll be behind the wheel since my test at the end of January.

I drove out to the yard on Saturday to scope it out, quite glad I made the effort as it’s not that obvious where you need to go at first - I’ll be stressed enough without needing to ask for directions!

It’s going to be morning rush hour, so an extra challenge there. I think I’ve covered all the obvious stuff:

Clean clothes
given my boots a once over
Gloves
Licence, digicard, cpc card
Clean car (got a hiviz in the boot, just in case they don’t provide)

I will probably be going out in an XF105 - so Arsetronic gearbox. Remember to give it time at junctions. Stick it in ‘turtle’ mode for reversing to make life easier. There might be chance it’s an Actros, which will be completely new to me.

As far as using the tacho goes, they already know I’m green as spring grass and have said they’ll talk me through it.

Slow and steady wins the race and all that, I suppose! Oh, and try not to leave clench marks on the steering wheel or seat! :blush: [emoji38]

Any sage words of advice would be appreciated, and in return I’ll try not to beach it over a traffic island in the middle of Chatham tomorrow!

EDIT: Oh, and if you don’t have any advice, wisecracks and/or crossed fingers always go down well!!!

Think i might know who your having an assesment drive with…Going by the trucks you might drive…If it is them on Chatham docks…If you do end up with the Actros…Make sure you get out and check the fith wheel height.You should anyway of course…But the Actroses have lower profile tyres and a 1100mm fith wheel…So is low…If it is an xf105…It might well be one of the new euro 6 ones…In wich case the gearbox is’nt too bad…Good luck anyway.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone! Time to get the zzz’s in.

daftvader - yep, you’ve guessed it. Thanks very much for the Actros tip.

Might see you about then…lol…All the best with it.

I think it went well :sunglasses:

It was indeed an Actros we went out in, but the driver trainer was pretty on the ball regarding my newbie status, so no issues. The drive went smoothly, no kerbs, no dramas.

In fact, all the drama happened before I got to the yard… I left home and got 10 mins down the road before realising I’d left my folder at home (containing my application form and passport) so had to turn around and get it :unamused: . After losing that time, I made decent time until a Golf and Transporter had a disagreement on the A289 that ended up with the van on its side. By the time I’d queued past it, there was an ambulance hanging around, and a few fire fighters looking bored, so hopefully just a few cuts and bruises to the occupants. Still, got to the yard in the nick of time.

Seems as though they’re going to offer me a week of training before starting the job, but time was very tight so didn’t get a chance to chat in the office after the drive about the details - so I’ll wait to see what the email/phone call says before I count my chickens.

daft - I was there at 8.30 this morning, probably got out in the lorry at about 9am. If you saw a someone driving in silly yellow gloves looking mildly terrified, that was me :laughing:

I’m off to Stobart at Tilbury for tomorrow’s assessment.

Sounds like you got on fairly well then…I did’nt get down there till 12ish…So i missed the yellow gloves and the mild look of terror…Who was the trainer by the way…Pretty sure they have’nt got a dedicated one down there…Did’nt know stobart ran out of Tilbury either…Thats where i’m based…

daftvader:
Sounds like you got on fairly well then…I did’nt get down there till 12ish…So i missed the yellow gloves and the mild look of terror…Who was the trainer by the way…Pretty sure they have’nt got a dedicated one down there…Did’nt know stobart ran out of Tilbury either…Thats where i’m based…

It was with Steve, and yeah, I think he’s there once or twice a week as needed. I know he isn’t based there full time.

Also, you’re quite right, Stobart isn’t based at Tilbury! That’s the other Downton depot… today I’m heading over to Dagenham. Glad I got that straightened out before jumping in the car! :laughing:

slowlane:

daftvader:

It was with Steve, and yeah, I think he’s there once or twice a week as needed. I know he isn’t based there full time.

Also, you’re quite right, Stobart isn’t based at Tilbury! That’s the other Downton depot… today I’m heading over to Dagenham. Glad I got that straightened out before jumping in the car! [emoji38]

Yeah i thought it may of been Steve.Decent enough bloke…Good job you did check the Stobart assesment out then…lol…You would of been looking for them for a while on the dock…Its a big place…All the best for today.

Well, today was the polar opposite of yesterday. :open_mouth:

Demonstrating the walk around checks I managed to completely forget the check horn and washers/wipers part :unamused: We’ll chalk that up to nerves I think, since I managed it yesterday!

Then within about 5 minutes of leaving the gate I ate a small slice of Kerb Pie on a roundabout. I straddled on the way in to give myself room, but didn’t stick to the wide line I’d set myself up for. We went up the road a bit and the trainer got me to do a lap of shame around another roundabout so that we’d go back the way we just came and a little voice in my head said “He’s giving you a second chance… don’t ■■■■ it up” … a minute later and I ate a second slice of Kerb Pie on the same roundabout for EXACTLY THE SAME BLOODY REASON :unamused:

Later on, I set myself up for another roundabout in the outside lane, to turn right. There was plenty of room actually on the roundabout, but the entry was slanted fairly tight to the left and as soon as I got to the line I knew I should have straddled it because a BMW appeared up the inside. I salvaged it though, by pointing out immediately that we just had to wait now for the BMW to move away, as he was inside the cut in (I wanted to say it before the trainer had to step in and stop me from pulling away. Trying to salvage anything after the two kerbs!). So, newbie error there, but at least I recognised it and dealt with it before it turned into a drama.

We got back to the yard and I stuck it on a bay in one hit, and the driver trainer said overall it was a very high standard of driving, impressed by how I handled the BMW situation but did remind me of the obvious - if I’d got my road positioning correct in the first place, it wouldn’t have occurred. Fair enough, definitely can’t argue with that!.. but that’s little consolation really. He’d probably have let the first kerb go for nerves if I’d nailed the second chance, but I blew it. I’d love to make an excuse (it was only a little bit of kerb… The wheels didn’t go over the kerbstone itself, just onto it… I wasn’t used to the truck… etc etc etc) but there isn’t one really - both times I just simply turned unnecessarily tight, after giving myself plenty of room to begin with!

I was pretty bummed out on the drive home, but when I got in and checked my phone, I found a voicemail saying that I’ve got an interview tomorrow, so I can’t have made as poor an impression as I thought!

Hmmm, when I read that you’d made the same error twice, the trainer might be thinking this Newbie isn’t learning. However he may also be thinking, it’s unrealistic to expect this Newbies 20 minute drive to go from nervous, to perfect? :wink:

Importantly, it sounds like setting yourself up for a turn has made a real impression on you! :laughing:
Which it should, as it avoids the ballaches of putting yourself in a vulnerable position. It doesn’t mean you have to be aggressive, just be assertive in your own lane, and read the road ahead as much as possible. Some spots and city centres really weren’t designed with LGV’s in mind and in my local area, I image Salisbury must be hell for a Newbie that didn’t know it…

So I wouldn’t write yourself off, attitude and seeing your weaknesses possibly wasn’t lost on your assessor… :smiley:

Assessments and driving tests are different things. Pleased to hear that the assessor seems to be taking a more pragmatic overview of your general abilities without just writing you off on a couple of technicalities. That probably means you are a safe and considerate driver who just has a lot of ‘experience’ to build up, and it sounds like they may be prepared to let you do that with them.

ORC:
Assessments and driving tests are different things. Pleased to hear that the assessor seems to be taking a more pragmatic overview of your general abilities without just writing you off on a couple of technicalities. That probably means you are a safe and considerate driver who just has a lot of ‘experience’ to build up, and it sounds like they may be prepared to let you do that with them.

OK, you were more concise! :laughing: