[COMPLETE] Assessment Drive today & Theory tomorrow!

As the title says!

Went up to do some theory test training as per norm with the training company, was told I could be fitted in for an assessment today at 4. Got the nerves going a little bit as I’m expecting it to be dark, not ideal for an assessment drive in a large vehicle you haven’t driven before.

First practice theory test I scored 89 (had constant interruptions and the nerves about the assessment). Wasn’t happy with that so done another and scored 96 - happy with that.

Done a mock hazard perception and scored 90 out of 100 so happy with that.

Vehicle is a MAN TGM 4 over 4.

Any tips?

Assessment Drive Complete

Showed up at the yard at 15:45 as planned, filled out a little bit of paper work and keys got chucked at me and thrown straight into the deep end, no messing about then drive!

I had a nice guy, he talked me through the controls of the MAN TGM, it has a manual 4 over 4.

I climbed up into the cab and he asked me if I had any previous experience of driving - I told him I had a little ‘go’ in my Dad’s artic here and there and stuff like that but it had been auto. No problem, sorted my seat and off we went. Like many - my biggest problem is going too fast approaching a junction. He taught me that we always pull away in 4th unless loaded.

Done a quick run up to Fenwick and back and had to reverse due to a car not giving us any room. Fairly enjoyed myself and I’d say it was a success, he seemed to think so too.

5 days trainig with the test on a saturday (mon-fri-test saturday) (i think this means i’m clearly not as good as I thought I was going to be ) but I guess if it was only down to nerves then I should have more time to get myself even more familiar with the wagon. I don’t really like the clutch too much, the bite point is very high and you actually can’t feel the bite point :S (sounds silly i know!)

I’ve got a few bad habits, he’s told me to loose my rear view mirror in the car and stop thumbing the steering wheel with one hand (in other words, i need to start the push-pull milarky again).

Theory tomorrow.

Theory Test & Hazard Perception complete!

Scored 98/100 for the Theory and 80 for the hazard perception. Would’ve probably scored more for the hazard perception but one of my clips was falsified because it thought i was cheating. :unamused:

Good luck on your assessment drive Sam
just keep your nerves and don’t panick if you make a mistake, and don’t crash :wink:

You’ll be fine mate, My rigid lessons were in a 4over4. once I was used to it I really liked it.

My assesment was at 8pm in country lanes :smiley: you’ll do fine pal

Showed up at the yard at 15:45 as planned, filled out a little bit of paper work and keys got chucked at me and thrown straight into the deep end, no messing about then drive!

I had a nice guy, he talked me through the controls of the MAN TGM, it has a manual 4 over 4.

I climbed up into the cab and he asked me if I had any previous experience of driving - I told him I had a little ‘go’ in my Dad’s artic here and there and stuff like that but it had been auto. No problem, sorted my seat and off we went. Like many - my biggest problem is going too fast approaching a junction. He taught me that we always pull away in 4th unless loaded.

Done a quick run up to Fenwick and back and had to reverse due to a car not giving us any room. Fairly enjoyed myself and I’d say it was a success, he seemed to think so too.

5 days trainig with the test on a saturday (mon-fri-test saturday) (i think this means i’m clearly not as good as I thought I was going to be :blush: :blush: ) but I guess if it was only down to nerves then I should have more time to get myself even more familiar with the wagon. I don’t really like the clutch too much, the bite point is very high and you actually can’t feel the bite point :S (sounds silly i know!)

I’ve got a few bad habits, he’s told me to loose my rear view mirror in the car and stop thumbing the steering wheel with one hand (in other words, i need to start the push-pull milarky again).

Theory tomorrow.

Good luck Sam, is that Jim Mair from Kilmarnock you are training with? I did my class 2 with them 4 years ago, my instructor was Davie Parr I think, ex army. Say hello for me. Good luck with the Bellfield interchange.

Hectors-dad:
Good luck Sam, is that Jim Mair from Kilmarnock you are training with? I did my class 2 with them 4 years ago, my instructor was Davie Parr I think, ex army. Say hello for me. Good luck with the Bellfield interchange.

It is yes. Oh god I’ve been having nightmares about that interchange haha! :slight_smile:

Good Luck Sam.

Hope all goes well for you

All the best :wink:

I’ve merged my assessment drive post with my original first post as people don’t seem to be scrolling down to be able to see it.

Thanks guys! :slight_smile:

looking good buddy is that an 18 toner your training in?? :wink:

dodester:
looking good buddy is that an 18 toner your training in?? :wink:

His website says

We have taken delivery of 2 new MAN 15 Ton 07 Plate Rigids for our Category C Course.

HTH

Yeah 15 tonne I’d say mate. Just about to head off for the theory now, in Ayr. Thanks

Small update at the bottom of post one for my theory and hazard perception, now onto CPC.

well done sam remember the cpc is a little more in depth than the theory needs a little more working out. :smiley:

Thanks mate. Any tips for it?

Sam Millar:
Thanks mate. Any tips for it?

just get up to date with everything you can lay your hands on and know how to calculate axle weight and part loads 5 questions in my module 2. :wink:

Anyone got any links to information that could help me with CPC Case studies?

Sam Millar:

sam sign up to the free trial on the link it will give you an idea of whats gonna happen!!

hope this helps mate , gee

dodester:

Sam Millar:

sam sign up to the free trial on the link it will give you an idea of whats gonna happen!!
LGV Driver CPC Module 2 Theory Test | Driving Theory 4 All

Tried that mate, gave me a fair idea now.

Sam Millar:

dodester:

Sam Millar:

LGV Driver CPC Module 2 Theory Test | Driving Theory 4 All

Tried that mate, gave me a fair idea now.

the book i found most benefit was “the official dsa guide to driving goods vehicles” i bought the cpc book as well but that doesnt have an awfull lot in it