New driver from EU, pivoting careers

Hello everyone.

I’m a 33-yo guy, beginner lorry driver, C and CE categories, with a EU license with recently passed all qualification tests (CPC, ADR packaged goods and tanks for all classes (including ADR Class 1 Explosives and ADR Class 7 Radioactive materials), abnormal loads) plus the digital tachograph driver card.

I read about this forum on Reddit in a post from mitch1975.

I’m from a ‘less fortunate’ part of the European Union, have lived and studied in the USA where I graduated high school and university, with merits (BSc in business management) and then I worked back home for my family company. The company was sold last year and I resigned (I was making 1500 euros net). I couldn’t find a job in 30 days or so and moved to the UK.
I was unable to find a ‘desk job’ (aparently my work experience from outside the UK was not too valuable, nor was my education) so I took what I could - a chilled warehouse operative position in Southampton for about 4 months, paying 9.51/h and 13.50 for OT (I was averaging 80 to 90 h/week and earning about 2700 / month, net).
I noticed that the drivers were making more and working less, so I packed my bags, flew home and enrolled for the lorry driving school. Now, after 4-5 months I am done and ready to get back to the UK and “pivot” towards a lorry driving job.

However, I now have two issues:

• I have an EU license - the DVLA website says that I can use it straight away, but the Agencies are telling me that the Companies do not have extended insurance coverage for both UK and EU drivers, therefore I have to exchange it for a UK one - this takes 15 working days. Is there a company that can take me with my current license and give me a 30/45-day window to exchange it?

• I have zero experience behind the wheel as a lorry driver, but 16-years experience driving regular vehicles in the US, Canada and continental Europe (400,000+ km). Yes, it means nothing, but had no accidents, I aced the exams, I have the patience and willingness to learn.

My priorities are:

• work long hours Monday through Friday, ideally during the day, for a good pay (at least 11 pounds/h? and 1.5x for OT)
  • as a second job - work during the weekend for an even better pay, without a tacho card (a buddy in London was working on a Sweeper in a construction site and was paid 500 pounds/weekend).

I am willing to relocate anywhere in the UK, as long as it is worth it. Having an international airport nearby would be a plus. The spareroom website does provide options in the 300 - 500 / month (bills included) range. Not as good as the Hilton but it’s fine.

Why am I in such a rush to make a good living? I have a family and would like to pay off all of my debt ASAP (pay off my house).

Any tip / advice / recommendation etc. is welcome.
Thank you for your time.

Sorry I can’t help with most of it but there is quite a bit of work around Bristol/Avonmouth area. And there is an airport nearby…
Also the whole working on the weekend without a tacho thing is technically illegal so be carefull about that.

His grammar and spelling is very good for an EE .

Is it normal or true that UK haulage companies don’t employ European drivers who have registered their European driving license to the DVLA?
Is is for insurance reasons?

When you have a Digital Tachograph Card and a Code95 in your license it you be legal to drive in the UK for a company or?

Does anyone knows anything about the questions asked■■?

Thanks for any info.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

@BristolTruck3r,
Some (all?) sweeper vehicles do not fall under the tacho laws, therefore a tacho card is not required. Also, maybe my experience of driving on the left hand side can give me an advantage on a sweeper?
@bald bloke,
Thank you for the compliment :slight_smile:. I did say that I graduated from a university within the United States.

@Tipperdipper1,

Regarding Code 95,

There are two methods for member states to indicate the completion of training and the fact that a driver has a qualification, a DQC or the use of code 95 on a licence. Below is a table showing the method used by individual member states

Member States that enter code 95 in the driving licence:
Austria, Belgium, Germany, Greece, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Slovenia

Member States that use a DQC that may also have code 95 on it:
Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, France, Hungary, Ireland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden,

Both above options used: Finland

Code 95 on licence and entered on card for non-resident drivers: Luxembourg

Code 95 entered on certificate of professional competence, will be entered on driving licence in the future: Norway

Source: safedrivingforlife.info

@goodluck
Thank you and do you about any companies who employ people with a CODE 95■■?

@Tipperdipper1,

Read my original post. I have a similar question.
So you have a German drivers license with a Code 95 (meaning that you passed the CPC tests, but you do NOT have a separate CPC card - thus you have a “2 in 1” card - is this correct?).
So one option would be to change the German license for a UK one - and you’ll get the UK license from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) and the CPC card from the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) - give them a call/send them an email.

goodluck:
@Tipperdipper1,

Read my original post. I have a similar question.
So you have a German drivers license with a Code 95 (meaning that you passed the CPC tests, but you do NOT have a separate CPC card - thus you have a “2 in 1” card - is this correct?).

Yes a 2 in 1 card, correct.

You can change after being 6 months in the UK.

My question is like yours: :slight_smile:

• Does anybody know of any companies who employ people with European Driving Licenses till they can change it to a UK one?

goodluck:
. . . …

My priorities are:

• work long hours Monday through Friday, ideally during the day, for a good pay (at least 11 pounds/h? and 1.5x for OT)
  • as a second job - work during the weekend for an even better pay, without a tacho card (a buddy in London was working on a Sweeper in a construction site and was paid 500 pounds/weekend).

Why am I in such a rush to make a good living? I have a family and would like to pay off all of my debt ASAP (pay off my house). . . . .

If you mean to drive a truck “on the card” max hours Mon to Fri, then work “off the card” Sat & Sun this will be illegal. A weekend break must be taken every weekend and doing some any sort of work as you seem to be suggesting will not allow this. Work, other than driving or transport related, is still work. I can see and applaud your commitment to family, and to want to pay your own way but maybe that isn`t the way to do it? Even with 2 separate employers the tax authorities and others will have details of both jobs and you may well be found out. This would put your hard won professional licence at risk, as well as a possible/probable fine.
15 days to convert your Eu licence to a UK one is not such a long time. From other posts on this forum it can take longer than that to get a first driving job with a UK licence and no LGV experience.

Get in touch with Alford traffic, they will snap you up

@Franglais,
You’re right. I’ll make sure that I only do gym and charity work while ‘off the card’.
I hope that’s legal.

@yt03,
Thanks. I called Alford Traffic up and they have no work for either Class 1 or Class 2 at the moment…