Cat. 'C' Training Blog

Hey All,

Please point all your prayer mats towards Geordie/Mackem-land tomorrow as I start out on my ‘C’ training - more so for those unfortunate souls who, unknowingly, will be sharing the road with me :open_mouth:
Seems the Gods are happy to bless my endeavours, as the weather is currently mint up this way.

Doing the ‘regular’ 4days of 4hrs/day training, with my test happening next Thursday morning at 08:15 in Gosforth. Apparently that means a 06:30 start for a warm-up and to get to the test centre - and I imagine it also means I’ll be doing battle with the school run and the back-end of morning rush hour.
Still, it is what it is and, despite not being from the area, I’m just going to think of it in terms of good preparation for a future job - they will expect me to go anywhere at anytime, so why not do that from the get-go?

Have read a good deal of posts on this site since I joined at the start of the year - so many thanks to all those who have taken the time to put information out there for other people to learn from.
Special thanks must go to Rog and Peter S., but also to the other trainers who are always contributing and attempting to help people wherever they can - despite no doubt answering what appear to be very similar questions again and again.
Also, eagerbeaver gets a special mention as every time I have a rough moment in the coming week, I am just going to think back to one of his posts… chuckle, relax, ease the pressure on the turtle and get on with it :laughing:

Updates to follow…

Jon

All the best, sounds like your going to enjoy your training which will help you learn quicker.

Paul :smiley:

Good luck Jon! I too, have a 4 day course with a test next Thursday booked, perhaps you can let me know how you’re getting on with the training. Louise

Good luck with both your training,remember one thing RELAX yes easier said than done I know, but the more relaxed you are the better you concentrate more importantly the more you hear what the trainer is telling you and more chance of it sinking in instead of thinking “I’m stressed enough without telling me more stuff”.
Double yellow lines help round corners if you can’t see the kerb that well use the yellow lines a guide (bit random but can be a help lol)

Jeff.

Good Luck Bud.
I was where you are 3 days ago, I Passed today, with 1 minor.
Nerves I had were ridiculous, but examiner saw that, every time we stopped he laughed about it, really helped me calm down,
they are human after all.
Only tip Mirrors when change gear, or move the wheel, relax, they aren’t trying to catch you out,
Enjoy Experience

Well done on the pass I’m sure rog will be along with fireworks soon lol.

Btw does the cat in your pic know Dipper Daves cat lol.

Daytrunker:

What pass :question: :confused: :unamused:

ROG:

Daytrunker:

I think Day is talking about Welsh in the post above his Rog.

I was Sorry Rog :blush: hides behind settee

Crusher75:

ROG:

Daytrunker:

I think Day is talking about Welsh in the post above his Rog.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=125091

Day 1 report:

Up bright and early, cracking weather again – keen to get started after reading half an Amazon’s worth of theory about driving an HGV but never actually having been within one of those ‘English barge poles’ distance’ of driving one.

Arrive in plenty of time and after introductory formalities, my trainer, Terry (ex-Army Engineers and former driving examiner) and I head out for the Daily Check walkaround and vehicle familiarization.
Find out it’s a Scania 94D 230, and more importantly, an auto.
Terry proceeds to tell me ‘It almost drives itself’ – at which point I am wondering whether he is actually an instructor as surely he wouldn’t set himself up for a fall like that so early on in proceedings. Either that or he is more optimistic in my ability that I am.

Anyway, Terry takes us out first for a 15min run, whilst explaining basic operation/what he’s doing and at which points and why. Within no time we’re back to the yard and it’s apparently me who won ‘fastest finger first’ and who is soon in the hot-seat wondering at what point the dreaded ‘eagerbeaver turtle’ might be making an appearance.

Very first impressions…
Yeah, OK this thing is big, lumbering and sluggish – reminding me a lot of how I was often described back in my school rugby prop’ing days.
Also, the steering wheel seems to have been borrowed from a scrap-ship dealer.
And, jeez, those brakes need a bit of working to get them interested – do that in my car and I’d be through the windscreen making a mess on someone’s rear-end.

Having said all that it was then that my deeply-engrained Trucknet gained knowledge came to the fore and I heard what seemed like an old man in a brown robe whispering ‘Take your time Jon… Feel the…’ when, suddenly, the nice old man turned out to be Terry telling me firmly to straighten up or I’d be clipping the nearside curb.

Well, time ticked by and after around an hour and half we mysteriously just happened to be due a break exactly where Terry’s favourite bacon-sarnie van was set up. Great to get out and stretch the legs, have a cup of empire goodness and ponder over things done and yet to come – all in quality British sunshine.

The subsequent couple of hours roll by rapidly with me doing my best to not let Terry talk.
And please, don’t get me wrong. Terry’s voice is angelic whenever I listen to it, but he did tell me that when I am driving he tends to only correct/point out those things which I have missed or are about to make a pig’s ear of. Therefore the implication is the less talking he actually does, the better I am currently driving.
Of course you’re now thinking that poor Terry’s vocal chords were overused to the point of exhaustion for the rest of the afternoon – but actually, apart from the odd reminder here and there and a particularly funny moment where he was jumping round in his seat attempting to describe how I should be on approach to junctions/roundabouts, things went reasonably well.
In fact the prize for closest moment to ‘turtle head appearance’ went to Terry as he informed me that I had been literally inches away from swapping the wagon’s perfectly good nearside mirrors for a not so useful set of regular pedestrian crossing traffic lights. I maintain ignorance is bliss and the fact that I nearly hit it, as being good judgement on my part. Terry remained unconvinced judging by his face looking like a bulldog licking ■■■■ off a thistle.

So, in summary, considering I had never driven any kind of HGV before, and also that I did not know the local area, Terry was pleased with a ‘good first day’.
Plenty of things to work on (which I will mention below) and am looking forward to Monday with the intention of doing the right things at the right times and so keeping Terry quieter than a mouse ■■■■■■■ on cotton.

In no particular order:

Indicators – are used to INDICATE intention AHEAD of time and will often ‘encourage’ other road users to stay out of your way/flash you in/out/through.

Stopping gap – to the vehicle in front. Make it bigger, simples! Terry got very nervous when I was able to look down through the sunroof of the car in front and tell him what radio station they were listening to.

Roll-back – happened a couple of times when approaching a roundabout/junction on the uphill and I couldn’t go and had to stop. Need to apply the park brake and start off using clutch/accelerator again. Not a problem when I knew I had been stopped to do a hill-start.

Nearside mirror - Keep an eye out on that cluster when things get a little narrower. Interaction with anything is frowned upon.

General observation – very easy to be looking at only what is immediately in front of you (as your brain is having a mini-Chernobyl trying to cope as it is) but get that vision up whenever possible as it allows you to plan ahead to manoeuvre out early and ‘claim’ your space on the road for example.

Think – you have to do this not only for yourself, but for other (generally car) road users. Even the most ‘progressive’ car driver tends to allow you your space when you have taken his options away from him.

Mirror work – general attention to mirrors is obvious, but there are special occasions where order and timing are more critical especially on those nearside checks. Also the more confident you are of what’s around you, the more progressive you can make your drive.

Straightening – if you have manoeuvre out into the road, get it done early so you are straight passing by/through an obstacle. Don’t want to be trying to negotiate things on an angle.

Instructions – quite simple but often forgotten. The examiner is actually there to help you and there are a lot of clues in what they say and how they say it. So listen and do.

Many thanks to those who have commented so far.
Totally enjoyed my first day out.

Jon

What a great report

I enjoyed reading that :smiley:

If you want a new hobby on the side you should consider blogging, great read :wink:

Nicely written post. You definitely seem to be enjoying it. Keep it going like that and you’ll have no problem on the test. Just think of the examiner as another instructor you haven’t met yet. He’s not there to catch you out or fail you and most will try to put you at ease. All the best for test day.

Crusher75:
Hey All,

Please point all your prayer mats towards Geordie/Mackem-land tomorrow as I start out on my ‘C’ training - more so for those unfortunate souls who, unknowingly, will be sharing the road with me :open_mouth:
Seems the Gods are happy to bless my endeavours, as the weather is currently mint up this way.

Doing the ‘regular’ 4days of 4hrs/day training, with my test happening next Thursday morning at 08:15 in Gosforth. Apparently that means a 06:30 start for a warm-up and to get to the test centre - and I imagine it also means I’ll be doing battle with the school run and the back-end of morning rush hour.
Still, it is what it is and, despite not being from the area, I’m just going to think of it in terms of good preparation for a future job - they will expect me to go anywhere at anytime, so why not do that from the get-go?

Have read a good deal of posts on this site since I joined at the start of the year - so many thanks to all those who have taken the time to put information out there for other people to learn from.
Special thanks must go to Rog and Peter S., but also to the other trainers who are always contributing and attempting to help people wherever they can - despite no doubt answering what appear to be very similar questions again and again.
Also, eagerbeaver gets a special mention as every time I have a rough moment in the coming week, I am just going to think back to one of his posts… chuckle, relax, ease the pressure on the turtle and get on with it :laughing:

Updates to follow…

Jon

You’re right about the area. I’m now very acquainted with Sutton Coldfield, despite having never been there (by choice). I guess it’s not that far from Wolverhampton (apparently it’s in the West Midlands, I had no idea), but it feels a bit weird coming up to an island and going “We’ve been here before, haven’t we?” (name the film!).

But yeah. As I like to say: Roads am roads. And you’re qualified to drive on roads. So no matter what sort of road it is, you can drive it. (Unless it’s the Hemel Hempstead mini island monster, ■■■■ me)

Thanks to all who have posted.

After a nice weekend soaking up all the information from Friday, it will time to crack on in the morning.
Apparently we’ll be seeing how incompetent I can be with reversing tomorrow - so that will be pleasant entertainment for anybody who happens to be wandering around the yard at the time. Should make for a more amusing Monday than they normally have.

Of course the rest of the time will be spent out on the road - and I have come up with a secret weapon to remember what I should be doing and when.
Not sure if Terry’s going to approve mind you…

I think you are right about people on the yard having a more amusing Monday than they normally have. They have probably never seen a walking post-it try and reverse a lorry!

Good luck with day 2 [emoji12]

So, Day 2.
And by the end of today, we’ll be half way through the course – yoikes!

OK, serious game face on today – I’ve had 2 days ‘off’ over the weekend, so there should be no excuses.
Although, when I say I have had 2 days off, I mean I was trying to do other things and not think too much about the whole driving thing, but when everyone you know wants to hear how you got on and how many curbs/signs/people/bridges you demolished then it gets a bit tricky.
Still, nice to know they are interested - although by now I really am convinced they’re asking, either just so they know where I will be that day (and so they can avoid that area), or they are desperately hoping that I’m going to end up as a news story and so know which evening they need to knock off early and get home in time for BBC North East :open_mouth:

Terry’s idea today was that he would take me around the second set of potential test routes.
Following that, we would set off for home camp a little early and give the reversing exercise a crack.

Glad to say that, after completing the pre-departure checks, I slipped back into the feel of the old girl like a pair of well-worn slippers.
The weather was just starting to warm-up after a bit of a frost early doors, and as we hit the beginning of the test routes, the sun decided to pop out and help things along.
I was fairly determined to try and iron out a lot of the ‘points’ from Day 1 (mentioned above) and was glad when I was able to keep Terry quiet for a good portion of our early morning, one and a half hour session.
As if by some miracle, as break time rolled around, we again ended up at the same industrial estate as last time!
And this time I noticed the Butty van was actually called ‘Terry’s Snack Van’. Anyway, when he got back, armed with a British Army-issue brew and a bacon sarnie, I quizzed ‘my’ Terry whether it was a family gig he had going on here, or what?
Sadly the answer was no, but one of these days I’m going to have to ‘forget’ my bait box and sample what’s so special about these particular bacon butties.

Suitably refreshed and fortified, we set off again, full of purpose and vigour.
That was of course until we did a bit of country road work (which I recognized from Day 1).
This particular road passes the end of the runway at Newcastle airport and you get a fantastic view of planes landing/taking off. Remembering that Terry seemed quite keen on the aircraft last time we passed by, I made sure I payed extra attention to him this time. And yes, I have to admit that I felt a little bad as I could easily make out a whimpering, forlorn look on Terry’s face as I could see how desperately he wanted to be on that Costa-bound, EasyPeanuts flight readying itself for take-off.
Instead, and unfortunately for him, he was stuck with me, taking his life in his hands on a minute-by-minute basis :laughing:

Still, all was not lost, as his heart got a slap in it’s aorta’s a couple of miles down the road as, on a nice open section, a fine specimen of a lady was out for a mid-morning jog.
Of course, with his far better, pro-active scanning of the road ahead, Terry was up in his seat and alerting me to my role in the upcoming ‘exercise’.
‘You check the front in the mirror, and I’ll check the back out’, he commanded.
Well bugger me, there’s life in the old sea-dog yet I think to myself as we both have an admiring glance on the way past :wink:

So, time ticks by as we make our way round more of the test routes – and one thing is becoming clear. I have successfully made progress on most of the aforementioned sticking points from Day 1, BUT, in my attempt to rectify the fact that Terry told me I was ‘too casual’ and ‘not showing enough energy’ to emerge at roundabouts and junctions, I seem to have over-compensated a little.
On about 3 or 4 occasions I pulled out when the situation was 50/50 at best and without doubt, on 2 further occasions I would have received a Major come test day for making a car slow down.
So, definite goal for tomorrow is to try and find that happy medium between Day 1 and Day 2’s attempts.
The positive thing is that I know how I can improve.
In all the circumstances I got caught out, I was really only concentrating my vision directly on the roundabout/junction - rather than, imitating what Terry was doing, and scanning through and past the current situation, looking for those cars approaching, which were in a position to make my emerging look bad due to the ■■■■■■■■■■ acceleration and added length of my vehicle.

As the day’s training drew to a close, we headed homeward for me to show Terry how badly I could reverse.
As we pulled in, it came as a great relief for me to find out that there is a nice, quiet part of the yard, behind a huge warehouse, where we go to play ‘who can get a cone wedged in the most awkward part of the truck as possible’.
Well, after a nice demo from Terry, I was up, and those cones were looking nervous.
Very surprisingly however, they had precious little to worry about as I executed the exercise quite competently three times in a row.
This pleased Terry immensely, as we could then wrap things up, already being 15mins over our allotted time – and given the look on Terry’s face, I’m pretty sure he didn’t have an overtime clause written into his contract.

Day 3 (Tuesday) to follow.

Take care all,
Jon

Sounds like your really enjoying it which is as it should be and improving more than you probably realise.

Junctions - wait as necessary to get the gap you need you’ll suss them out very quickly.

roundabouts -? Hands of God knows who! Nightmare for test criteria, in real life I’ll admit I’ve caused some to slow or I’d still be there since Xmas! Hardest thing I think on test they are! By time done checks to move your gaps gone, it’s difficult to get it fluid.

But best of luck on test - your sounding like your well on way !

Great read.

You’ve already skirted round the cure to the roundabout issue - look well ahead. Look into the road to your right as soon as you can - maybe over a field if you’re lucky. Time your space. Be aware of other junctions onto the roundabout.

And the most common moan of all … people who don’t indicate. This is remarkably simple if you logic it through. If they’re not signalling left, they’re not turning off. So they’re coming across you and you cant go. This is precisely how an examiner will see it so there’s no chance of being marked for hesitation. By the same token, if a vehicle is signalling left to leave the roundabout, go. If he chooses not to turn it’s not your problem and you wont be marked for slowing him down. The exception is if the vehicle is flying. Then I wouldn’t rely on his signal.

But the main part of the solution is forward planning and observation all round the roundabout.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing: