Daf Lf 220 Paccar engine problem

Hi am running a 05 daf Lf220
8 months ago the temp gauge went off the scale then seconds later dropped back to normal, it then didn’t do it again for a few weeks… then would do it randomly when pulling away from a junction.

I removed the thermostat thinking it could be dodgy and the problem seems to have gone away and I’m running around with no thermostat and the temp gauge never rises above 1\4 but when you stop the engine there is a gurgling noise coming from the header tank as if it was air locked.

It’s not using water.

Sometimes fully loaded, whilst driving a steep incline the revs drop really low and the engine starts to labour, there is a loud knocking noise, sounds likes diesel knock, dip the clutch and it disappears instantly.

You can then carry on driving for days and not hear it again…

any idea what it could be?

I had a noise like that when pulling hard ( not a bang but not nice noises )it was the clutch slave cylinder believe it or not which I only found out after a yr or 2 when I changed it ,also my temp gauge and fuel gauge do what they want sometimes I’am thinking it’s the loom plugs in the n.s foot well corroding ? Although it’s a Foden it’s a Daf cab and wiring .

Punchy Dan:
I had a noise like that when pulling hard ( not a bang but not nice noises )it was the clutch slave cylinder believe it or not which I only found out after a yr or 2 when I changed it ,also my temp gauge and fuel gauge do what they want sometimes I’am thinking it’s the loom plugs in the n.s foot well corroding ? Although it’s a Foden it’s a Daf cab and wiring .

It’s defiantly an engine knock not the clutch, sounds like diesel knock. I’m assuming when you dip the clutch to take the stain of the engine it’s stops because of that not a clutch issue.

temp gauge is not erratic anymore since removing thermostatso cannot be wiring :neutral_face:

But without the thermostat in there is a gurgling noise when switching engine off

You can test the thermostat itself in a pan of hot water. Heat the water and the thermostat should open before it gets to boiling. Don’t know about the Daf engine, but I’d not be happy running around with no thermostat if I was paying the bills - it won’t help fuel economy as it will take a long time to get up to normal operating temperature.

Is it pressurising?

Trickydick:
Is it pressurising?

Yes there does seem to be a little pressure in the header tank

First port of call is always the compressor head gasket, then it get expesnve with the main head gasket.
Compressor gasket dead easy to do some pipes and 4 bolts and its off.

Pretty rare to see major engine problems with the little ■■■■■■■ at the daf dealer, but since Ive changed jobs weve had to have a few head gaskets done, but these are the 6 pot 300bhp versions.

Trickydick:
First port of call is always the compressor head gasket, then it get expesnve with the main head gasket.

Pretty rare to see major engine problems with the little ■■■■■■■ at the daf dealer, but since Ive changed jobs weve had to have a few head gaskets done, but these are the 6 pot 300bhp versions.

The little ■■■■■■■ is prone to head gasket failure along with injectors causing piston meltdowns with all the damage that ensues ,not forgetting the valve seats drop causing the valve to get intimate with the piston,again with all the damage that ensues

norb:

Trickydick:

The little ■■■■■■■ is prone to head gasket failure along with injectors causing piston meltdowns with all the damage that ensues ,not forgetting the valve seats drop causing the valve to get intimate with the piston,again with all the damage that ensues

Didnt know that, theres was alwasy one in for a fuel problem of some sort or their favourite no oil pressure= no revs.
I spent over 8yrs at the Daf dealer and apart from a few unusual major events the ■■■■■■■ was a great engine, certainly Paccar could have taken some advice from them ref the first MXs!

What Ive always found weird is different hauliers have different problems on all their trucks yets others dont have that issue but have different problems and yet all the trucks are identical.

Im 23 years with them …You are deffinetly correct ,but faults seem to be area related…I have spoke to lads you have a certain issue ,and I have never came across it and the same for them…The oil pressure was always gaskets

norb:
Im 23 years with them …You are deffinetly correct ,but faults seem to be area related…I have spoke to lads you have a certain issue ,and I have never came across it and the same for them…The oil pressure was always gaskets

Yes I can remember the gaskets, and since Ive worked at my new place I havent seen one with a starting issue/injectors or an oil pressure/cooler gasket issue!
Plus the early MX engines they have, have only had the newerr style turbos fitted just in case and are both on a million kms running fine.