OD's - doesn't quite fit in any of the Insider news topics

Found this earlier…

HM Revenue & Customs (National)

WE WISH YOU A MERRY CHRISTMAS WITH YOUR TAX RETURN

306 self assessment tax returns filed online last Christmas Day

So you’ve eaten the turkey, watched It’s a Wonderful Life (again), and you’ve definitely had enough of Aunt Edwina. What to do with the rest of the Christmas break?

Amazingly, 306 self assessment tax returns were filed online at hmrc.gov.uk last Christmas Day. And over that four-day holiday period, more than 12,000 returns were filed over the Internet.

More than 9.8 million self assessment tax returns were issued in the last tax year, and almost 1.3 million were completed online. HM Revenue & Customs is encouraging taxpayers to get their returns in early this year, to avoid the rush before the 31 January deadline.

“We have always recommended that people file early and outside the busiest periods - and we are pleased to see that some taxpayers have taken this to heart, even at Christmas,” says Roy Massingale, Director of Self Assessment at HM Revenue & Customs.

“Filing online is an easy, convenient and secure way to submit your tax return - all you need is an activation PIN number. This can take a few days to process, so register as soon as possible to beat the 31 January deadline.”

People needing help or more information can visit hmrc.gov.uk, or telephone the self assessment helpline on 0845 900 0444. The helpline is open 8am to 8pm, seven days a week. It will be open until 4pm Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve, but is closed Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day.

Notes to editors

1. Introduced in 1997, self assessment applies to the self-employed, company directors, partners, higher-rate taxpayers, or people who otherwise have complicated tax affairs.

Issued by HM Revenue & Customs Media Relations Team

Website hmrc.gov.uk

A self-employed ‘business’ friend of mine in Germany usually spends most of Christmas Day doing his books/tax returns as they have to be filed by 1st January over there!! Probably beats the ‘crap-Xmas-movie’ afternoon ritual… :laughing: :laughing:

I wont be filing mine until I get the results from their investigation :frowning:

You shouldn’t be so well off Sean, my paper work is going to wait until next month. I will enjoy the break stuff the paper work