Taxing on line

My misses reckons she can’t tax one of the volvos on line cos it’s euro 5 with an rpc and they need to see the rpc, I’m away in a lorry and can’t check this, you can’t tax em at the post office in town any more, is there a way round it or will I have to go to my local dvla office, any one done it on line with an rpc, surely there is an easy way. Don’t want to tell her she’s wrong as she is already in a huff with me for working Easter…

Cheers

Lrm…

It wouldn’t surprise me, I had a HGV on a sorn and it could only be lifted at a DVLA office, unlike a car I had that was on a sorn and it was taxed online.

Had the same issue, had to go to DVLA office, euro 5 with RPC and yes they need to see the rpc. Apparently they hope to make this something that can be done online at some time in the future!

I had the same, couldn’t do it online. Can be done by post though so no need to visit the DVLA office in person.

Get to the DVLA office while you can they’re all closing by the end of this year, :open_mouth:

What a bloody pain that is, our local dvla office is an hour away in the car, surely it’s on a dvla database that it has an rpc, they don’t make things easy for you.

Thanks for the replies…

Lrm

It surprised me that it couldn’t be done online and my DVLA office is over an hour away too, I did end up posting the application and documents and DVLA were very quick in processing it, I had the tax disc and docs back 3-4 days later. In your position I think I’d do that, I appreciate that you can’t post it until the 2nd but if you post it recorded delivery then you’ll have a postage receipt marked 2nd April and even if the truck was technically untaxed until the disc was in the windscreen I’d be highly surprised if you would ever be prosecuted for it.

There used to be a belief that there was a “14 day grace period” after road tax expired. Legally there never was although unofficially that did seem to be observed by the powers that be.

IANAL etc.

Apparently there is no database for the rpc like there is for the mot ticket. Which means that if you want to get the reduction you have to go to the Dvla office and show them the certificate. A real pain

It should be possible to do it online from sometime this year as DVLA moves more services online in preparation for closing its regional offices at the end of 2013.

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20855998

I used to tax my Actros online and tick the rpc box even tho it did’nt have it lol,must be the main reason they now want to see the certificate lol.:smiley:

It’s all your fault then. :smiley:

Played this game went to local DVLA so they could see the RPC, taxed it in Feb.
Just got letter stating RPC no longer valid!!!
Make phone call, they have last years!
Did ask what the point of taking it to office is if you are then going to ask for copy in post.