Insurance for temp drivers?

anyone looked into this, know whats the best way to go about it?
i’ve got two or three days i want to have off in the next month or so, i’ve got a fella who’s semi retired who’ll drive the wagon for me and who knows the job but i don’t want to name him on my insurance as come the next time i need a driver he may not be available nor do i want to change the policy to any driver as the premium will go through the roof!
also is there anything i need to be aware of, regards the ministry?

I added a 40 yr old named driver to my policy. Additional premium was only £150 per year - and that included while he was learning on a provisional licence.

There isn’t anyway round it - you will have to tell them if you want him to drive.

I have provision at no charge for two named drivers as well as myself on my policy as long as they are over 25 with two years experience.

Big Truck:
I have provision at no charge for two named drivers as well as myself on my policy as long as they are over 25 with two years experience.

Ah ha! Ask them if you are entitled to a discount if you restrict driving to policyholder only! If they say yes, then the no charge for additional named drivers is questionable :smiley:

thats the thing, policy is for policy holder to drive only and although theres nothing that states that there was a discount for that, no doubt if i try and add a driver it will be a good excuse to charge me some good money for doing it!
the fella i had in mind is semi retired, worked out of the steel works for years and knows the job inside out but nothing to say he’ll be available next time round as he just does odd days when he feels like it and often goes off for weeks at a time with his caravan. the problem is, i couldn’t send a driver out with brightbar, especially three or four drops, it would be asking to much if they’d not done it before and they might end up doing me more harm than good.