William Hampton

Do any of you remember a tipper firm called William Hampton?. They were green eight wheelers from either London or Kent area. I think they may have been involved in coal haulage. The reason i ask is that back in the 1970s i used to see a lot of them when i used to go with my old man in the school holdays. Although they seemed to have a large fleet ive never seen any photos or heard anything about them ever since.
Anyone remember them?.

This S 20 Foden was a William Hampton Motor, The sides were higher when we got it, Regards Larry.

Thats interesting Larry…we had two ex Hamptons Guy Big J eight wheelers.

Well, this one was new 1962/3, My cousin bought it from Rush Green, ran it for some time then I bought it, it was a good motor, 150 Gardner, 12 Speed box, two sticks to begin with, then I converted it to the air shift which was far better, Regards Larry.

Im sure I read some years ago that Wm.Hampton had a Quarry on Blackheath Common London during the days when the London Underground was being costructed & Hampton supplies the sand & gravel & filled the Quarry back in with what was dug out for the Underground, He was supposed to become a vert rich man in a very short time ?, Regards Larry.

I can remember late 50’s early 60’s Hamptons loading coal at Corys wharf in Rochester.
I am sure they had a yard off Gas House Lane.

Can remember a plant hire firm called ■■■■ Hampton,for some reason ,the name still makes me chuckle. :stuck_out_tongue:

Aye, I can remember them they had some big earthmoving gear working around the Devils Bridge area 84/85, ■■■■ Hampton, what a handle Eh to have on the old CB In todays time Big ■■■■ Littlehampton, Regards Larry.

They had a yard in Benedict Wharf Mitcham & the station yard
Longfield/Northfleet & used to carry lot of coal clinker gypsum
around the blue circle cement works i went to swanscombe northfleet
claydon/ipswich. kiddlington/oxford. hope/sheffield & shoreham
while working for lavers of sevenoaks sorry havent got any pictures
of there vehicles they had loads of fodens.
Regards Geoff.

Thanks Geoff. I remember Lavers very well. I think they may be part of Day Group now.

Hi Mark This was one of Lavers now in Days Colours.
lavers.jpg
GetAttachment.jpgl

Greetings,Gentlemen. Re. the William Hampton lorries,my brother turned his loft out and came across this photo of a Lancaster’s steamer which also ran out of the Benedict Wharf at Mitcham. The tall chap was Nobby Chapman,my sister in law’s uncle.He used to live in Woodstock Way,Mitcham. All the best,900x20. :smiley:

900X20:
Greetings,Gentlemen. Re. the William Hampton lorries,my brother turned his loft out and came across this photo of a Lancaster’s steamer which also ran out of the Benedict Wharf at Mitcham. The tall chap was Nobby Chapman,my sister in law’s uncle.He used to live in Woodstock Way,Mitcham. All the best,900x20. :smiley:

Lovley old photo,its nice to see people hang onto old stuff, the pioneers to to-days haulage industrey, Regards Larry.

Mark R:
Do any of you remember a tipper firm called William Hampton?. They were green eight wheelers from either London or Kent area. I think they may have been involved in coal haulage. The reason i ask is that back in the 1970s i used to see a lot of them when i used to go with my old man in the school holdays. Although they seemed to have a large fleet ive never seen any photos or heard anything about them ever since.
Anyone remember them?.

my dad worked for Lancaster then william hampton at Benedict warf mitcham from 1950 to 1980 he was one of the last drivers before they packed up in mitcham, he drove all kinds of lorries eg bedfords,commers,BMC,volcans,thames traders with hardy no brakes,scammells,guys and Fodens from DGs to Haulmasters,I used to go work with him all the time from 1958 to 1973 then i left school and worked for A& J Bull now Sita in the same yard, l have got plenty of information,so please ask me any questions and i have photos which i will put on when i know how to down load them

Lawrence Dunbar:
0This S 20 Foden was a William Hampton Motor, The sides were higher when we got it, Regards Larry.

My dad drove a Foden like this for William Hampton i cant remember the reg but the number on the door was 141.i also remember when i used to go with him one job they used to do was white sand from Bucklands Sand in Reigate to united glass in harlow and used to go up Reigate hill so slow that i thought we would not make it and dad always would say we have one more gear to go.i am sure a push bike could over take us and another time, we was coming down the hill on the A2 in turkish overdrive so he could get a run up the over hill when another driver stopped him to say he had a puncture on the second axle i thought my dad was going to kill him saying why didnt you stop me at the top of the hill, the good old days.

Remember seeing their Fodens in the Paddock Wood area in the 1970s. They always seemed to be in a hurry.

cav551:
Remember seeing their Fodens in the Paddock Wood area in the 1970s. They always seemed to be in a hurry.

they must of being doing the southfleet to shoreham run two aday

I wish i could remember the registration number of our old ex Hampton Guy Big J8s. We had two of them in the late 70s (i think M regs) but sadly dont have any photos of them. Nor did i realise that William Hampton shared a yard with A & J Bull. I think the Kent base was in Rochester somewhere.

:laughing: Toetruck did you used to get your money changecd by Doug Vahey in the Star pub along with the rest of the drivers for A J Bull.Another old hampton driver wasSyd Lavender who lived in Mount Road, He had a son derek who was on the spanners,he did a bit with Hall & co at Willow Lane.Happy days and even happier nights.The days of the village atmosphere in Mitcham have long gone.Its a dump now.Michelin man

If anyones interested in the history of A & J Bull, theres a very interesting book called ‘From Dawn Till Dust’ by Tony O’Conner. Its about many of the London tipper fleets including Bulls, McGoverns, and various other muckaway & waste haulage companies. Full of great photos and history about the companies mentioned.