William Hampton

all the a & j Bull Photos was from my collection

michelin man:
:lol: Toetruck did you used to get your money changecd by Doug Vahey in the Star pub along with the rest of the drivers for A J Bull.Another old hampton driver wasSyd Lavender who lived in Mount Road, He had a son derek who was on the spanners,he did a bit with Hall & co at Willow Lane.Happy days and even happier nights.The days of the village atmosphere in Mitcham have long gone.Its a dump now.Michelin man

i was always in the star pub all the a & j bull drivers used to stand at the public bar end and my dad worked we both lavenders and we have a photo of sid in a foden and do you remember the star having three bars,snug,public and saloon,thats when it open at 5.30pm.

Toetruck:
all the a & j Bull Photos was from my collection

I remember meeting Tony O’Conner at the classic commercial vehicle show at Gaydon a couple of years ago. He seemed like a nice fella and i think i sent him a couple of photos from when my uncle drove for Sabeys at Sittingbourne. Another mate of mine used A & J Bulls yard as his operating centre…however, i dont think his lorry ever went anywhere near Mitcham and he just knew the manager and bunged him a drink every now and again.

Hello toetruck, yes do remenmber when the star had 3 bars and the jug and bottle.You must remember Eddie and george curtis used to drink with syd in the little bar.Doug best pub guvnor ever.

One of the a&j bull drivers used to be playing his guitar while driving
up the m1to bedford one of the scott brothers i do belive !

Realley, What sort of driver would you call him then ? Ive heard of lots of so called drivers playing a tune with a Foden 12 Speed Box, But this guy is something different I think, ■■?, Regards Larry.

tippergeoff:

yes it was steve (vietnam) we all used to have a good time at bulls i remember coming down the M1 when steve lost his wheels.we all was on the CB,and we got the message to hold up the traffic so he could get the wheels from the middle of the motorway which he did,then we stopped help put the wheels back on took a wheel nut off every axle and we all was back on the road again with in mins.

Toetruck:

tippergeoff:

yes it was steve (vietnam) we all used to have a good time at bulls i remember coming down the M1 when steve lost his wheels.we all was on the CB,and we got the message to hold up the traffic so he could get the wheels from the middle of the motorway which he did,then we stopped help put the wheels back on took a wheel nut off every axle and we all was back on the road again with in mins.

So where is this bloke now I wonder ■■? Regards Larry.

Dont know where he is now but quite often see his brother Tim
round the Croydon area with an 8 wheeler rollonoff & trailer
will ask him next time i see him.

Hi Toetruck
Vietnam was certainly differant when he worked with us at lavers
he came in one day face all bruised wife had hit him with the bedside
phone.

Ex Hampton Foden

yxp359.png

Hi tow truck its me from oxford I would like to visit again and maby take some copys of the hampton yard if poss got the dawn till dusk book a great read

I actually worked for William Hamptons for nearly a year 1975-6. They were in Wilson Avenue, Rochester with a small yard, a workshop and a couple of Portakabins which both sat on a load of shingle. I was only 19/20 yrs old and was a Traffic Clerk, initially working with the Manager who’s first name was Dennis- he retired whilst i was there. I recall he was allowed to keep his Red Ford ■■■■■■ company car. I remember 2 guys - Vic Chambers and another old boy called Don (?). Not sure what Don actually did, but he called everyone Cuz ( Cousin). Vic was a good bloke - he drive an L reg Blue Austin Maxi and I think he lived in Coxheath, if he’s still alive he’d be around 90 now, but I doubt it as he was a heavy smoker and liked a drink. The Workshop Manager was called Cliff - and I remember a young chap with long curly afro type hair starting around the same time as me who looked after all the tyres, including re-treading. There was scant regard for H&S - I shunted a few 8 wheelers around the yard and at Southfleet, with no training whatsoever. I used to belt down to Southfleet in Vics 5 speed Maxi, doing 90-100mph to take paperwork/spares etc. Head Office was in Mitcham - I went a few times- can’t remember why though. I remember a guy at H.O. called Charlie Leadham - he was a bit weird - very old school. The main man was an old boy - Mr Bell - everyone called him Mr Bell. He drove a M reg brown Rover 3500 TC and came to visit us occasionally. Drivers names I remember- Eddie Archenaul - he left and went to Swains, a guy called Spanner, an old boy called Ted who got caught speeding twice in 30 minutes on the way back from Nottingham. The company used to deliver coal, gypsum and fly ash as far as I can recall.
I enjoyed my time there, the people were good people. We used to get paid cash every week- wages were not great and I was ‘made redundant’ in 1976, though it was really because I got caught fiddling my overtime!! I’m not sure when they finished in Rochester, but it is now all houses, which I’m sure the residents are far happier about.