Towmaster transport

I am looking for pictures or indeed anything related to Towmaster Transport. (Units, trailers, yards, depots, associates…anything at all) so the remit is fairly broad.
There are a few already on the thread ‘ERF B Series, where are you’…but if you have any please post them here. Would love to see some of their wagons in their working life on this thread.

I will start the ball rolling with this spiffing looking outfit!..Yum Yum! :smiley:

Thanks for looking.

Saw your article in CVC mag, interesting ! :smiley:

Thanks mate. I thought it was about time that the subject had earned its own thread on here now. There are some good pics on the ‘ERF B Series where are you’ thread, especially of the Doncaster & Sheerness wagons and yard.

Now though, I am hoping to attract a wider scope of interest by giving Towmaster Transport its own thread.
Hopefully someone out there may have some cracking old shots tucked away somewhere gathering cobwebs :laughing:
Thanks again mate.

Hi Hilltop, I believe XEV966/967X were new to C&H. These both have Gardner 240 engines, whilst XEV968-970X have Towmasters preferred Rolls Royce engine. Another one from this registration block is XEV971X which is red, does have RR engine, but I don’t know who it belongs to.
XEV 968-970X were all taken out of service at Towmaster in May 1986. According to the REVS site XEV969X ended up with R Swain. Can any one confirm this?

LORRYPICCS005-2.jpg

Intersting stuff tyreman…I guess the below was a Sheerness wagon then?

And with this just being one before, I assume the same applies :question:

Am not usre, but the location looks one and the same to me, if so it must have been a regular stop. perhaps one of the change over services■■?

Keep em coming :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Yes, the XEV’s were Sheerness trucks. I don’t recognise the location.

Here are some repostings from the Scrapbook memories thread. Judging by the article when the RHD’s were delivered they were already running 55 ERF’s. The other picture shows a P reg ERF in the old colours.

tyreman:
1Yes, the XEV’s were Sheerness trucks. I don’t recognise the location.

Here are some repostings from the Scrapbook memories thread. Judging by the article when the RHD’s were delivered they were already running 55 ERF’s. The other picture shows a P reg ERF in the old colours.

Hi tyreman,
These pics are great…I was beginning to wonder if I had dreamed that Towmaster’s originally had a White livery :confused: , thanks for clearing it up for me. It’s a shame that it was in Black & White though :frowning: What was the colour scheme of this livery. Loving the old pics of the wagons, keep em coming. By the way, is there anymore on the Scrapbook memories thread?, or if you have anymore, please stick them on here. Thanks again mate.
PS - Am I wrong, but I also recall deep down somehwere, someone telling me that they also ran old seddons like the one below?

Do you know if this is correct?

Yes, your right, they did have Seddons before the ERFs.

Thanks for the info mark R. You wouldn’t happen to have any pics would you, or know whare I can find more on this forum? Ta mate.

Hi hilltop4. I wish i could help more mate. Unfortunatly, i dont have many Towmaster photos. Like i said on an earlier post, my uncle drove for Tomasters at Sheerness but he did’nt take any photos. I did have a nice photo of VSC 670R which a friend of mine drove, it was one of the first ERF B series in the white livery but i cant find it at the mo.
Rgd’ing the Seddons, i would love to see a photo of one as much as you mate. However, i have enjoyed seeing the other contributions and will continue to look for other Tomaster pics.

Ok mate…keep trawling :laughing:

I knew the Sheerness fleet between 1983-1987, so the white livery and the Seddons are before my time, but I’m interested in finding out more about the history of the company.

Ive just got hold of an absolute corker…a large framed photo of B875UKN a Mercedes 1625 from Sheerness depot. Unfortunatly its too big to fit on my scanner but i’ll try and take a photo of the photo. I think it must have been a publicity photo for either Mercedes or Towmasters.

I’d like to see that! B875UKN arrived at Sheerness in Feb 87. I’m not sure who owned it because it (and XKE121/122/133X) was referred to as a contract hire vehicle. I’m sure it wasn’t new to Towmaster. It looks like these replaced the X Reg ERF’s.

Mark R:
Ive just got hold of an absolute corker…a large framed photo of B875UKN a Mercedes 1625 from Sheerness depot. Unfortunatly its too big to fit on my scanner but i’ll try and take a photo of the photo. I think it must have been a publicity photo for either Mercedes or Towmasters.

Thats interesting. In the photo it looks brand new but obviously not!. Maybe our friend from Sparshatts knows something about it. I assume it was supplied by Sparshatts as it has their name on the number plate. Ive also found a photo of A765 NKR another 1625.

Hi Guys, Interesting reading, and a subject that I would love to know more of, and see more pics if possible, particularly the white livery or the seddons. Below are a number of images from my Towmaster folder…hope you enjoy! :slight_smile:

FFE 127X (affectionately known as ‘fifi’) at rest on Trowel Services with a few return pallets…I wonder if the pallets got to where they should have. (it wasn’t unusual for spares like these to go astray en-route :wink: ). Going by the Blue curtains, I imagine the wagon had the modern Blue rubber dash.

FKR 434V again having a minute on services (not sure which, and not sure if Doncaster or Sheerness stable). This is probably my personal fave, as I feel it captures the classical look of a Towmaster outfit.

RSF 413Y ‘tanking up’. A very workmanlike set up this one. The driver looks a jolly chap too. (sorry, don’t know him, maybe you do?). I dont know what yard this is, but I can tell you it isn’t Doncaster. Judging by the sunshine, I would also say the driver is tankin up on return, ready for the night driver. Also the tree in the background would support this. Its obviously autumn or winter, and as such, it would be dark if it was a fueling before setting off. (well, come on, I do work for the Police… :laughing: )

Heres an interesting one…Looking closely at the order of the wagons, I would say this is the same yard as the above, only opposite the fuel tanks. (possibly even taken on the same day) I would also suggest that judging by them being mostly Mercs, this could be Sheerness?..what do you think.

Hers’s an intriguing shot…the cases in the background are Bells Scotch Whisky, but the drums I have no idea what they are. Sheets of and waiting for the fork lift lad to put his tea down. Wagon needs a run through the washer too. Sorry, I just couldn’t work out the VRM…also keep out of Cental London too driver please :laughing:

And finally for now…

I surprise for me, as I didn’t even know that Towmaster did bulkers. Perhaps the driver has called in to see the vicar in the church behind…to ask for strengh in delivering his liquid load, and not to sucumb to temptation with a big efin straw :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Cheers lads, hope you enjoy…keep posting. I have loads of pics of the Doncaster yard as it is now…95% unchanged since Towmaster ran out of there in the early 80s.

Bells Scotch Whisky owned both Canning Town Glass and Towmaster Transport, Guinness owned 50% of United Glass who owned Robsons, when Guinness took over Bells Scotch Whisky it merged Towmaster with Robsons and Canning Town Glass with United Glass.

Hi georgeking,
Thanks for the info. When you refer to ‘Robsons’…is that the ‘Robsons’ of Carlisle fame?. I rememebr dad picking up loads full of empty bottles from their yard up there.
I have just spoke with dad this afternoon, and he has looked at the pics. He is fairly sure that the yard where the Merc is tanking up is actually Broxburn in Scotland. Also…and get this…he also states that in the very very early days of Towmaster Transport, long before the ERFs and even the Seddons, they ran a fleet of all Red, articulated Ford D800s out of Canning Town Glass. Now…if you have got a picture of one of these, I would say this was the Holy Grail for this thread :laughing: :laughing: :grimacing:

Below is my dads old wagon when driving out of Doncaster yard in the early to mid 80s. Its still around, and a regular at rallies (although currently based in Holland) Keep you peepers peeled for it…its a pearler!!!

BWF 74T had a 280 RR Eagle (‘Screaming Eagle’) in it, and it went like the wind, even with a load in tow!..THE MUTS NUTS!!

This is the only thing I can find. No reference to a reg number, but the blue cab interior should date it

This is the only other Towmaster picture I can find. Looks like an early B Series, but the blue interior will date it?