Convoys,Rotherhithe

I don’t suppose this place is still up and running.
I remember hauling paper out of here when I was a lad.Their own trucks carried paper to all the London area newspaper printers.Big reels on the roll chocked at the back and secured by a rope each side from the headboard along each side at the bottom of the top layer to a hook on the tailend near floor level.Never get away with it these days.

Gidders:
I don’t suppose this place is still up and running.
I remember hauling paper out of here when I was a lad.Their own trucks carried paper to all the London area newspaper printers.Big reels on the roll chocked at the back and secured by a rope each side from the headboard along each side at the bottom of the top layer to a hook on the tailend near floor level.Never get away with it these days.

If I’m not mistaken, it’s all gone, been flattened and is being redeveloped into luxury flats etc etc. Not heard the name for years.

Sent using smoke signals

I did a lot of paper from Portbury docks in the 90s to various places in the north east , we picked our notes up
from Convoy’s office on the docks .

Some pics of Convoys of Deptford London.

News of the World and Blackheath

Convoys on Blackheath%2C London.jpg

I remember Convoys with great fondness, I did my very first load as an HGV Class 1 driver for Chiltons Transport, Bow. That was around Sept 1984, I was 22 and had only just passed my test. The loaders there were very helpful, no pressure and they guided me through the process. The boss of Chiltons sent an older driver Clem, with me to show me the ropes, literally… :smiley: and that was the beginning of my life as an HGV driver. 8am delivery next day, Aylesbury Press.
GS

I remember Convoys very well, I used to deliver paper to their Greenland Wharf Depot at Deptford in the 90s, I used to reload there with reels for the north east, I also delivered to their Manchester & Thornliebank depots too, I allways found their workers to be very helpful, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
I remember Convoys very well, I used to deliver paper to their Greenland Wharf Depot at Deptford in the 90s, I used to reload there with reels for the north east, I also delivered to their Manchester & Thornliebank depots too, I allways found their workers to be very helpful, Regards Larry.

Aye Larry, essential equipment when heading to the London area, a back scotch, and a bag of wedges in the passenger footwell. Regards Kev.

kevmac47:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Aye Larry, essential equipment when heading to the London area, a back scotch, and a bag of wedges in the passenger footwell. Regards Kev.

That’s the way Kev , all our flat trailers had a back scotch tied across the the landing leg brackets , and all units had a bag of wedges under the bunk ( erf e type ) . Having said that 50 % of our loads were reels on end , a pain to sheet big reels staggered down the trailer .

Thanks for the comments,in particular the photos.I used to go to Convoys in the early 70s and remember it as a good place to load.
I’m not surprised it has become expensive apartments.As has the old royal docks(Cypress Place?)where I spent many a day in a queue.

Hi mate, theres another Convoys thread on here already, put Convoys Wharf into the search box, loads of fantastic old pics.

rigsby:

kevmac47:

Lawrence Dunbar:

That’s the way Kev , all our flat trailers had a back scotch tied across the the landing leg brackets , and all units had a bag of wedges under the bunk ( erf e type ) . Having said that 50 % of our loads were reels on end , a pain to sheet big reels staggered down the trailer .

wagons 044 (2).tif (851 KB)