Moving paper from Purfleet in the 70's

Anybody remember Allmans of Congleton, Parkers of Swadlincote, Crows of Keighly or Thomas Harrison’s of Chadderton?
It would be great if anyone had pics or memories of them.
Thomas Harrison’s had an office at Purfleet run by a guy ‘Charlie’ who used to sort out all the return loads for a lot of the Northern Haulage Co’s;
Thanks
Dave Penn;

Hi mate, as i am aware, Clive Allman is still going strong, often see either a big 525 powered Foden or ERF ECs hauling steel re-bar and mesh around Kent and Essex. Gone are the loads of paper reels hauled by 8-pot Gardners, mores the pitty. Chris.

Thanks for the info but not sure if its the same set up that I’m thinking of. Allmans of Congleton AFAIR had about 20/30 ERF’s running on the this work general down and reels of paper from purfleet back up to Manchester, gotta to take into account these ‘now’ national papers were printed regionally and therefore needed paper everyday! Big logistics job for the day keeping the presses going! No computers in them days.

Anyway thanks ‘Straight Eight’ for the reply it definelty would be interesting if it was someone from the same family who had gone on and kept in the haulage game :smiley:

Regards
Dave Penn;

The ERFs and Fodens are dark blue, white roofs, orange chassis and sign writing, sure its the same firm, have seen pics of his Earlier A, B, C series loaded with sheeted paper reels, anyhow, if it is, their still about mate!

parkers packed up about 12 yrs ago and sold their yard for redevelepment,before they finished they did a lot of car carrier work for bca of measham,but the trucks they ran certainly had seen better days when they finished.

STRAIGHT EIGHT:
The ERFs and Fodens are dark blue, white roofs, orange chassis and sign writing, sure its the same firm, have seen pics of his Earlier A, B, C series loaded with sheeted paper reels, anyhow, if it is, their still about mate!

When I used to sub work to them (including from Purfleet Deep Wharf) it was Jimmy Allman and his Mum, if I remember correctly.

A lot of what was done there was channelled through George White (Dagenham) Ltd - I think they had become a subsidiary of Purfleet Deep Wharf by then, hadn’t they?

Hello 240, i think i remember Purfleet Deep, didnt they have alot of red 81 and 82 Scanias pulling short flats?

Thanks fella’s for all the responses & memory’s.
As I’ve said in some previous posts I’ve got a couple of health problems that stopped me driving and today is one of them days when I’m struggling to just drive the efing laptop and put a few sentences together, so I’ll get back to this thread as soon as I’m feeling back on top.
Thanks again guys.
Regards
Dave Penn;

When i worked for nuttalls at clifton m/c in the 70s we used to take reels from tbm at warrington down to tbm at purfleet tip and reload waste paper back to tbm warrington.Onward tpt did a lot out of there as well,in fact they had a depot and shunters in there.Brings back a good few memorys this does.

used to go there late 70,s with me dad with axles from eaton axles in willenhall
i got a photo somewhere will put it up in a bit

tipping the axles

various other of the wharf and a few vehicles from december 79
gkn wheels

if i remember right there were always a few of j spurlings in there

Hello Dave
I was talking to Jimmy and Clive Allman also Sam Clives son this weekend Astle park steam rally they have 2 1960s Atkinsons two 1950s Fodens and a couple of 1950s Thornycrofts in preservation maybe ERF A series on its way. Dave come to the Steam fairs around Cheshire they,ll be there, they still run 2 artics on regular work.
John.
see you later.