Newsprint hauliers

hi just asking about firms that delivered to fleet st and all the other press rooms like convoys haseldens reeds c and h can anyone remember these firms

Hi, when my dad was working at the express newspaper in ancoats Manchester in the early eighties I. Sure suttons used to work there (erf’s with the union jack livery on the front/grille).

They did here’s one from Manchester Libraries
Suttons.jpg

I used to deliver to the Express at Ancoates in the mid 80s, The reels were from Finland & came into the Port of Blyth , We subbied to Fergusons, We also delivered to Convoys Storage at Manchester & Thornliebank Glasgow. With this wagon, Regards Larry.

I use to load out of Convoy’s Deptford, news print was always my favorite load late 70’s 2 sheets and a fly, Dennis would have been proud of me

We also used to load out of Convoys at Deptford, the reels were usualey for the phone book printers Donelleys at T.V.T.E.Gateshead, but has since closed & moved to a new place just off J 47 On the A1 M the A 59 turn off. With this motor. Regards Larry.

Another Fergies subbie from Blyth Ned Stamp, Regards Larry.

Another load of reels from the Port of Blyth. Regards Larry.

Can anyone tell me if Convoys are still going, I heard that all the paper that used to come into the Greenland Wharf in Deptford is all at Tilbury now ?. I used to deliver to a drop at Watford Croxley Green area, & there was allways a Convoy motor there, Im talking earley 90s, & I quite often went to Deptford for my back load. Regards Larry.

Barry Waddy .HI Lawrence hope not spent many hours waiting to tip at Thornleybank ,yours Barry Waddy

Lawrence Dunbar:
Can anyone tell me if Convoys are still going, I heard that all the paper that used to come into the Greenland Wharf in Deptford is all at Tilbury now ?. I used to deliver to a drop at Watford Croxley Green area, & there was allways a Convoy motor there, Im talking earley 90s, & I quite often went to Deptford for my back load. Regards Larry.

Convoys warehouse up at Burnfield Road Thornliebank has been closed for a good few years now.Not seen there blue and red wagons about for long time.

We also delivered reels to a firm Sims Ltd they made paper sacks, they were at the opposite end of Burnfield Road, we could off loaded during the night in those good old days. Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
We also delivered reels to a firm Sims Ltd they made paper sacks, they were at the opposite end of Burnfield Road, we could off loaded during the night in those good old days. Regards Larry.

Sims is still there.But never see anybody tipping during the night now.

Barry Waddy, HI Lawrence we used to load reels of paper for Archbolds from the other side of the tunnel,they were the full width of the tralor ,back home to Essex sacks ,Padswood ,near Mold abount 8 miles from our yard a good tip ,cheers Barry Waddy

Paper reels seemed to go all over the country on a vast scale, We have delivered as far down as Plymouth,Caerphilly, Newtown, Tovil Nr, Maidston, & the load paper back up from Aylesford for Newcastle Chronicle. Then the Scotch runs to Dyce, Dundee, Inverkiething, & reload sometimes with waste paper, or better still with bricks. Regards Larry.

does anyone remember when wapping started all the aggro outside we used to store the reels at haseldens in strood from shotten hauliers like suttons harris r services and many more loaded 3 high on the roll

Manchester - as taken by Roger Kenney.

Also taken by Roger Kenney

retriever:

Also taken by Roger Kenney

nice pics mate do u have anymore

Hi Barry Waddy, Its just come to mind we used to deliver to a firm Graphoprint at Queensferry, not one of the good tips Im afraid, they used to weigh every bloody reel, however we were lucky sometimes & loaded at a Cereal factory just around the corner from there, we could park overnight in the place, they would even load us sometimes if it suited what they were doing. Happy Days Eh. long gone. Regards Larry.