Newsprint hauliers

Another load from the Port of Blyth, South Harbour.

kentboy:

retriever:

Also taken by Roger Kenney

nice pics mate do u have anymore

Yes! A book full - HIstory of Reed Transport

retriever:

kentboy:

retriever:

can u put some more on mate

Barry Waddy , HI Lawrence ,Graphoprint also had a place in Milton Keyons ,they got the recevers in a couple of months after a mystry fire broke out it burnt to thr ground ,funny ha ?: i new a couple of lads that worked there ,one lad on nights 500 pounds take home for 4 nights ,plus 16 days off every 5 weeks,WHAT ajob ,YOUand I PULLING and draging ,makkes u think ,cheers BARRY

kentboy:

retriever:

kentboy:

retriever:

can u put some more on mate

They also serve - Roger Kenney picture

Another from Roger

thanks alot roger for the pics did u work for reeds

One more

kentboy:

No, I am a publisher of books on lorries (trucks) and road transport history. Roger Kenney lived in Rochdale and photographed commercial vehicles in the late 1950s to the 1970s. He died in the early part of this century. I acquired much of his negative collection via a third party who in turn acquired them from his wife after he died. Some of his negatives went elsewhere - borrowed but never returned.

These pictures appear in the History of Reed Transport. I have over 400 images but the others are not my copyright so cannot put these on the forum - they were supplied by others and were for use only in the book.

retriever:

kentboy:

No, I am a publisher of books on lorries (trucks) and road transport history. Roger Kenney lived in Rochdale and photographed commercial vehicles in the late 1950s to the 1970s. He died in the early part of this century. I acquired much of his negative collection via a third party who in turn acquired them from his wife after he died. Some of his negatives went elsewhere - borrowed but never returned.

These pictures appear in the History of Reed Transport. I have over 400 images but the others are not my copyright so cannot put these on the forum - they were supplied by others and were for use only in the book.

ok thanks anyway for the pics any more would be grateful thanks

kentboy:

retriever:

kentboy:

ok thanks anyway for the pics any more would be grateful thanks

Here’s the picture from the book cover but I have removed all text from it.

proper loads in those days great pic

We also delivered to The Daily Record, Broomielaw, Glasgow, then later on to Cardonald Works, of course thats when the paper was from Blyth, I think the nearest port now will be Hull. Scott of Claverhouse used to bring to the Record to, . Regards Larry

hi larry they bring a lot of newsprint in at greenock now ridgeways do the most of it now

Would that be Ridgeways from Dundee, we had an odd load or two from him when we used to do Thompsons The Queensway Dundee, Regards Larry.

yes mate thats them dont no how they got the contract would thought malcolms wud be doing the work

TNT Logistics later Ceva used to run out of Aylesford. Here are a couple of MAN’s before the depot closed.

Various 2010 092.jpg

Here is one of Reed Transport’s ERF breakdown trucks. It started life as FKP220D and was rebuilt as seen in 1973. It was photographed as a tender at the 1993 Brighton HCVS Rally. I would thouroughly recommend the book on Reeds. Paticularly liked the fleet lists, but also the detailed history and also the drivers stories. Also it is packed full of pictures throughout the decades.

Hague’s Transport from Burscough used to deliver newsprint to the Scottish Daily Record too. The last time I saw one of their wagons on that job was probably mid-eighties.

Lawrence Dunbar:
Can anyone tell me if Convoys are still going, I heard that all the paper that used to come into the Greenland Wharf in Deptford is all at Tilbury now ?. I used to deliver to a drop at Watford Croxley Green area, & there was allways a Convoy motor there, Im talking earley 90s, & I quite often went to Deptford for my back load. Regards Larry.

Larry, Convoys moved from Deptford in the 90’s under huge pressure from the developers, there operations now run out of Chatham and Tilbury and Convoys are still a major player on the Thames. I remember trucks tipping at there sattelite wharf on Warspite road in Woolwich, watching there wagons heading down to the Blackwall tunnel, I used to see Leyland Buffalos and Volvo F7’s, all sorts of firms would backload out of the wharf, upto 300 a day. Peter

hi cockney pete do u remember haseldens they used to deliver to the express in shoe lane they used to run out of tooley st after the night men run all the loads up for the lads to shunt to and throw