Which was the better engine the Leyland 680 or the 600 or th

I reckon the lower powered engines of each marque would have proved to be the better engine ! Cheers Bewick.
Oh ! Doh! the rest of my post concerned comparison of the 180 LXB to the 150LX also !

Sorry to hi jack this post Dennis I never had much to do with Leyland engines other than the TL12 and the odd 401 ?engines but Gardner reigns as king
Cheers Gary [emoji106][emoji2532]

Ps in my own opinion the LX/LXB range were a class above everything else in their own right

gazsa401:
Sorry to hi jack this post Dennis I never had much to do with Leyland engines other than the TL12 and the odd 401 ?engines but Gardner reigns as king

Your barred !! :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

gazsa401:

Your barred !! :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Dennis.

I’ll go and sit in the naughty corner and write a thousand lines of not to hijack a thread in the future [emoji12]

gazsa401:

Bewick:

gazsa401:

I’ll go and sit in the naughty corner and write a thousand lines of not to hijack a thread in the future [emoji12]

I reckon you should be made to sit in the passenger seat of an LAD cab for 48 hrs Gaz !!

If either of these clockwork motors were so good, how come we’ve never seen any in Bewick-liveried vehicles? I suspect you’ve found yet another pair of rose-tinted glasses! You should have left them all at Brady’s, pal! :unamused:

My father ran an F reg 1967 Retrevier with a 600 engine. One day driver phoned in to say oil pressure had dropped a bit . Driver was told bring lorry home as long as there was some oil pressure on gage. The lorry came home but had a trail of oil behind it when checked the sump was overflowing and smelt of diesel.The injectors were checked and when the last one was tested there was a crack in the body of the injector allowing diesel into the engine so topping up the oil. New injector fitted oil plus filter change and the engine was as good as new. It happened a second time with no effect on the engine

The 0.600 engine was an excellent motor in its day, I reckon. It was lively and flexible and above all, simple to work on! Robert

I can recall these engines being used on the " loose engine " market , a haulier in my part of the country had them in Foden tractor units and I’am sure Seddon also fitted them at one point . If you check out the WJ Riding web site there is lots of information on these engines which Tom Riding speaks for highly of .

Retired Old ■■■■:
If either of these clockwork motors were so good, how come we’ve never seen any in Bewick-liveried vehicles? I suspect you’ve found yet another pair of rose-tinted glasses! You should have left them all at Brady’s, pal! :unamused:

Subtle difference in what you say ROF ! 1) I was an employee at Bradys ! 2) I was THE employer at Bewick Transport £££££ ! Cheers Dennis.
And PS who said I never ran any Leylands !

This Driver had just pulled into the yard from Liverpool and he had run into the Traffic office to ask when he could have his Scania back !!

Bewick:
This Driver had just pulled into the yard from Liverpool and he had run into the Traffic office to ask when he could have his Scania back !!

Ha-Ha Bewick the truth is out there somewhere , the demise of our own hgv industry must be down to driver / operator culture , I can recall in my part of the world Smith of Maddiston purchasing an large number of Scania 110s only to get rid of them just about as quickly and replace them with ERFs fitted with 8LX Gardners , " all that glitter isn’t gold " !!!.

shugg:

Bewick:

Ha-Ha Bewick the truth is out there somewhere , the demise of our own hgv industry must be down to driver / operator culture , I can recall in my part of the world Smith of Maddiston purchasing an large number of Scania 110s only to get rid of them just about as quickly and replace them with ERFs fitted with 8LX Gardners , " all that glitter isn’t gold " !!!.

Hiya “shugg” I didn’t know that SOM had bailed out of 110 Scanias PDQ ! I only ran 111’s ( and 81’s) which were a very reliable motor in service, I also ran many 8LXB’s & C’s. They both were similar on MPG and reliability but the Scania was head and shoulders above the ERF’s and Sed Atks from a Drivers perspective ( and The Guvnor’s :wink: ) Cheers Bewick.

Question………

When did Smiths of Maddison bail out of the 38 Guy Big J240 8lxb’s?

:wink:
E.W.

^^ :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

EW car truck & bus:
Question………

When did Smiths of Maddison bail out of the 38 Guy Big J240 8lxb’s?

:wink:
E.W.

Did SOM actually run any ■■? :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: