Gardner VWXLB

Anyone remember the batch of experimental Scammell Routemen with the V12 Gardners which were basically two XLB’s bolted together. Did they really get 480 BHP out of them?

I was told one problem was that they used to shake the plastic cabs to bits and the David Brown gearboxes couldn’t take the power.

if only they’d waited for the Crusaders. history would have been very different.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

first ive heard of it

A better engine was the Gardner V16 fitted in the Guy Big J’s, the steel cab stood up to it better than the ‘plastic pig’ Scammell.

Pete.

Is there any truth in the rumour that Bewick has a V16-Gardner-powered Big J hidden in a barn near Milnthorpe waiting for the value to increase before advertising it for sale?

Retired Old ■■■■:
Is there any truth in the rumour that Bewick has a V16-Gardner-powered Big J hidden in a barn near Milnthorpe waiting for the value to increase before advertising it for sale?

If I find out who “grassed” they will be in the ■■■■ big time !! Bewick.

Didn’t take long for that to flag up on your radar :exclamation:

youtube.com/watch?v=LxEo6aWlrqA

youtube.com/watch?v=27ugSKW4-QQ

Some say it was used on the spaghetti harvest runs to make sure the stuff got back in good condition.Although the steer axle weights could be a problem by all accounts. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

Retired Old ■■■■:

If he has heal have a photo of it

Leyland 680:

Retired Old ■■■■:

He has a photo but he won’t put it on as it’s a front shot only and not a conclusive engine pic. :laughing: :laughing:

Trev_H:

Leyland 680:

Retired Old ■■■■:

He has a photo but he won’t put it on as it’s a front shot only and not a conclusive engine pic. :laughing: :laughing:

Quite right Trev,the last thing I would do,unlike others,is put on a shot of said motor not showing a full side/rear view and then proceed to “swear blind” that it did really,really, did have some special engine fitted which you can’t actually see.For all the punters would know it could just be a “glider chassis” without an engine !! Trades description Trev,not the done thing is it mate ! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: Cheers Dennis.

I’m off to the shed to fettle my radial-engined Big J.

R.O.F.
C’mon R.o.F. you don’t really think that we believe that you’ve got one of those as well !!

Cheers, Bassman

I assume that this is one of M.A.N. s upgrades with them calling it a VWXLB being as Volkswagen is in the same group :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
cheers Johnnie :wink:

Does anyone have a use for my Gardner 7LW workshop manual? Free to a good home if someone has the engine. :wink:

Sorry folks. I forgot to mention the air cooling.

Bassman:
R.O.F.
C’mon R.o.F. you don’t really think that we believe that you’ve got one of those as well !!

Cheers, Bassman

Bewick is jealous- ten cylinders and none of them sticking out of the back!

R. o. F.
I,m going to say it before Dennis does, only an appropriate photo will prove your claim----and we are waiting!!

Cheers Bassman

If you think I’m going to take the cab off just to get you a photo… :wink: :laughing: :wink: :laughing: