MOT brake test, useless DVSA software

The DVSA have recently updated their MOT computer software ready for the roll out of the new procedures in May. I had the job of presenting a vehicle 1st used before 1 January 1968 yesterday. As many will know such vehicles only require to meet a service brake efficiency of 45% of the gross weight for a 2 axle vehicle and a lower standard still (40%) for multi axle vehicles and tractor units. Yesterday’s vehicle achieved 48%. The DVSA test standard in another section of the software program clearly states 45% pre 1968. When it came to entering the actual figures the software insisted on issuing a fail. The software recognised the date of 1st use as a date in 1966 but absolutely refused to recognise its own requirements. In the end there was no alternative within a reasonable amount of time but to do the brake test again until the readings totalled 51%.

The best bit was that the DVSA software invites the tester to submit feedback about the new procedures… they got some.

If presenting a bus then it would help if a recent weighbridge certificate for the unladen vehicle is available since the recorded weights from the RBT machines cannot be relied upon even though they are supposed to be within a 2% tolerance. This was a new installation with full certificates.

Some of us will recall the struggles every year to meet the efficiency requirements with relines a few weeks before test and notifiable alterations when lock actuators were removed and spring brakes fitted.

And winding up the adjusters another turn outside the testing station when presenting an F88! :wink:

Foden transmission handbrakes…say no more! Scaffold pipe and plenty of strength, then sweating your balls off trying to get the brake released haha. :laughing:

Pete.

windrush:
Foden transmission handbrakes…say no more! Scaffold pipe and plenty of strength, then sweating your balls off trying to get the brake released haha. :lol:

Pete.

When I took my old M M in for test the fitter, Les , gave me a big old spanner to thump the release button with, n a good job he did I would never have got it off otherwise.

When I took my Seddon FRC 805C there was never a problem with the service brakes, but the parking brake was a ratchet type, which was too slow an application for the rollers, so about a third of an opening of the deadman secondary braking system handle used to help the ratchet brake to achieve the standard. I’m sure the examiner must have known what I was doing but he never said anything, in fact at Royston Testing Station, for a number of years the same examiner used to do the test and always “claimed” the Seddon when I turned up every year.

Retired Old ■■■■:
And winding up the adjusters another turn outside the testing station when presenting an F88! :wink:

Winding up the brakes and praying to every god and idol known to man if you had a Transcontinental. …and a fiver on the dash board

Fergie47:

Retired Old ■■■■:

Winding up the brakes and praying to every god and idol known to man if you had a Transcontinental. …and a fiver on the dash board

Now I would never have guessed you were “bent” Dave " ( although not “the limp wrist bent” I hasten to add mate :wink: ) Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

Fergie47:

Retired Old ■■■■:

Now I would never have guessed you were “bent” Dave " ( although not “the limp wrist bent” I hasten to add mate :wink: ) Cheers Dennis.

You had to do what you had to do Den…you know that… :wink:

Hope you and Anne are both well, and having better weather up North than we are in not so sunny Brittany. .

Fergie47:

Retired Old ■■■■:

Were you using a test station in the outer London area by any chance?

ISTR the Transcon had a Girling version of the Rockwell Stopmaster brake, but with a better method of adjustment. The Rockwell was a toothed wheel which you had difficulty getting at and turning with a home made piece of bent flat: while you poked a socket extension through a hole in the backplate and turned it with a ratchet on the Transcon.

dave docwra:
Were you using a test station in the outer London area by any chance?

No, way out in the countryside… :wink:

cav551:
ISTR the Transcon had a Girling version of the Rockwell Stopmaster brake, but with a better method of adjustment. The Rockwell was a toothed wheel which you had difficulty getting at and turning with a home made piece of bent flat: while you poked a socket extension through a hole in the backplate and turned it with a ratchet on the Transcon.

Brought back memories,…still crap brakes though… :unamused: :unamused:

Ignition off and a little help from footbrake usually helped. :smiley:

shirtbox2003:
Ignition off and a little help from footbrake usually helped. :smiley:

That was the beauty of the later BMC FG range, the brakelights came on with the handbrake so it was easily ‘adjustable’ on the rollers. :wink: Couldn’t do that with the Foden handbrake though, they made you swing your legs out of the cab and 25 tonne took some holding on the test ramp with just a single transmission brake drum! :unamused:

Pete.

gingerfold:
When I took my Seddon FRC 805C there was never a problem with the service brakes, but the parking brake was a ratchet type, which was too slow an application for the rollers, so about a third of an opening of the deadman secondary braking system handle used to help the ratchet brake to achieve the standard. I’m sure the examiner must have known what I was doing but he never said anything, in fact at Royston Testing Station, for a number of years the same examiner used to do the test and always “claimed” the Seddon when I turned up every year.

Wouldn’t have been Billy Flack by any chance, helped me out on many occasions, was late arriving for test one afternoon, met Billy going home in his car he turned around came back and did my test, what a gent that man was, a few bags of spuds for the boys on the next visit, don’t suppose that sort of thing would happen now.

cav551:
The DVSA have recently updated their MOT computer software ready for the roll out of the new procedures in May. I had the job of presenting a vehicle 1st used before 1 January 1968 yesterday. As many will know such vehicles only require to meet a service brake efficiency of 45% of the gross weight for a 2 axle vehicle and a lower standard still (40%) for multi axle vehicles and tractor units. Yesterday’s vehicle achieved 48%. The DVSA test standard in another section of the software program clearly states 45% pre 1968. When it came to entering the actual figures the software insisted on issuing a fail. The software recognised the date of 1st use as a date in 1966 but absolutely refused to recognise its own requirements. In the end there was no alternative within a reasonable amount of time but to do the brake test again until the readings totalled 51%.

The best bit was that the DVSA software invites the tester to submit feedback about the new procedures… they got some.

If presenting a bus then it would help if a recent weighbridge certificate for the unladen vehicle is available since the recorded weights from the RBT machines cannot be relied upon even though they are supposed to be within a 2% tolerance. This was a new installation with full certificates.

Some of us will recall the struggles every year to meet the efficiency requirements with relines a few weeks before test and notifiable alterations when lock actuators were removed and spring brakes fitted.

They are using their customers as test jockeys, hence the request for feedback. It will probably be working acceptably by May. Nevertheless, it is shabby behaviour by an organisation with a remit to provide a public service, and a legally captive audience. Is there anything to stop a friendly tester putting a surrogate vehicle on the rollers?

[zb]
anorak:

cav551:

They are using their customers as test jockeys, hence the request for feedback. It will probably be working acceptably by May. Nevertheless, it is shabby behaviour by an organisation with a remit to provide a public service, and a legally captive audience. Is there anything to stop a friendly tester putting a surrogate vehicle on the rollers?

I think it was May 2018 being referred to.

David

Can’t understand why this thread isn’t on the Owners and Fleet Operators Forum. I’m sure you’d get a much more informative response there :wink: . Most of us on the old timers’ forum are retired. Just a thought! Robert

ERF-NGC-European:
Can’t understand why this thread isn’t on the Owners and Fleet Operators Forum. I’m sure you’d get a much more informative response there :wink: . Most of us on the old timers’ forum are retired. Just a thought! Robert

The OP was about getting old vehicles through the new test, which is relevant to those of us who are not in our dotage :smiley: . I hope I’ve got plenty more old dogs through the ticket, before I hang up my welding torch for the last time.

[zb]
anorak:

ERF-NGC-European:

The OP was about getting old vehicles through the new test, which is relevant to those of us who are not in our dotage :smiley: . I hope I’ve got plenty more old dogs through the ticket, before I hang up my welding torch for the last time.

Whoops! :blush: Senior moment there! Yes, you’re quite right and I’d missed the ‘old vehicles’ bit :unamused: . I say, carry on chaps! Robert

When I think back to all the problems I had at various Test Stations over the years, either with vehicles or the bolshie staff, they would fill a book! :open_mouth: :laughing:

Pete.