Magirus Deutze

I do not know if the air-cooled Magirus Deutz had fallen into the category of old time lorries. In 1971, I had driven a four wheeler and thought it had sounded a bit like a lawn mower. However, it just kept going.
Around the time of the 1980 UK coal-miners strike, I had driven an air-cooled Maggie tractor pulling 38-tonne tipper and tilt trailers. I found the power of the air-cooled engine to be quite amazing. The hotter is became then the more pull it produced. You could not abuse the engine because it had been built to withstand all forms of abuse. it just kept going. The rest of the tractor seemed to be built to withstand any form of ill-treatment and always got me home.

airproducts73:
I do not know if the air-cooled Magirus Deutz had fallen into the category of old time lorries. In 1971, I had driven a four wheeler and thought it had sounded a bit like a lawn mower. However, it just kept going.
Around the time of the 1980 UK coal-miners strike, I had driven an air-cooled Maggie tractor pulling 38-tonne tipper and tilt trailers. I found the power of the air-cooled engine to be quite amazing. The hotter is became then the more pull it produced. You could not abuse the engine because it had been built to withstand all forms of abuse. it just kept going. The rest of the tractor seemed to be built to withstand any form of ill-treatment and always got me home.

I believe the engines were principally built for the marine market,they did have a reputation as being a good and reliable lump though.

David

Hey, Magirus deutz were good trucks, and deutz engines did well in them, but there engines were on its best
as stationary engine.
In trucks they suffered often with heat, as temperature alternated to often. Till the '70’s lots of cilinderheads
cracked. If you stopped on the top of a hill and it was windy, you could hear crack the heads.
But they had an adventage, without water no waterpump no freezing problems, no radiator and cilinder haskets.
Here in Belgium one of the best and strongest earthwork truck 4x4 6x4 6x6.
It was the only truckbuilder which offered V12 engines for normal haulage, 340hp and 360 for Italy.

Eric,

Bonneted Magirus-Deutz from 50th in Swiss.

Back in the late 70’s early 80’s Maggy D 8 wheelers were the first choice of the London muckaway boys mainly because of the deals offered by, IIRC Wembley Commercials buy a new truck and walk out with the VAT on your hip LOL they were a pretty good but as always lack of proper servicing let them down, the fins on the back pots got full of dust, debris & crap so they ran hot & cracked then people removed the tin work ducting to clean them out never replaced it therefore made the problem worse, same thing happened with the Deutze engined Cargo’s (hands up if you can recall those horrid things)

My old company were quite early users of Magirus Deutze tractors, I believe the first one they had was around 1972 then the vehicles were painted in the older Cream and Chestnut Brown livery but they decided the factory finish was so good on these units they didn’t bother painting them straight away. These two are finished in the later White and Light Blue livery, the second one is busy having the signwriting done. By all accounts they gave excellent service and drivers liked them. Franky.

Frankydobo:
My old company were quite early users of Magirus Deutze tractors, I believe the first one they had was around 1972 then the vehicles were painted in the older Cream and Chestnut Brown livery but they decided the factory finish was so good on these units they didn’t bother painting them straight away. These two are finished in the later White and Light Blue livery, the second one is busy having the signwriting done. By all accounts they gave excellent service and drivers liked them. Franky.

Good photos there Franky, IIRC a owner driver from Acklington bought an ex Ouseburn Maggi, Regards Larry.

One of a fleet of around 8 operated in the north west of Scotland from around 1986 to 2001.

According to the volvo fitter my FL has a deutze engine,faultless

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Magirus was the truck builder, Deutz built the engines, the full name of the company is Klockner Humbolt Deutz or something like that, they were not part of the takeover of Magirus trucks by IVECO.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

woodcutter:
One of a fleet of around 8 operated in the north west of Scotland from around 1986 to 2001.

Mackenzie and Maclennan of Gairloch per chance?

chubbybrown:

woodcutter:

Hi “chubbybrown” Was M & M, Fish hauliers ?, Regards Larry.

chubbybrown:

woodcutter:

I don’t know who owned them then but two of them are " resting " at a plant yard near Kinlochbervie slowly returning to nature . I think they were last used on the Laxford bridge to Rhichonic improvement in 1994/5 .

Ah Yes know where you are [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Lawrence Dunbar:

chubbybrown:

woodcutter:

No Tipper outfit.
Had Dafs for years and a few service buses.
Great guys if you broke down out there.
They could always get you home.

chubbybrown:

Lawrence Dunbar:

chubbybrown:

woodcutter:

No Tipper outfit.
Had Dafs for years and a few service buses.
Great guys if you broke down out there.
They could always get you home.

Thanks Chubby for the info, Regards Larry.

As Chubby says, they run a tipper fleet which numbers around 5 8 wheelers today. The closest the got to fish haulage i recall was transporting scallops i think, from Gairloch to Annan near Dumfries in the mid to late 80’s.

Cheers,

Woodcutter

A pal of mine ran a Maggie eight legger tipper years ago and really rated it, he never had any engine issues and it was almost impossible to get it stuck on sites. Jefferys of Woodville ran lots of rigid tippers on bulk work.

Pete.

The latest issue of Classic & Vintage Commercials has an article on Magirus Deutz and the air cooled engines. The origins of the Deutz company had infamous links to Nicolaus Otto where he developed the OTTO Cycle IC engine, Gottlieb Daimler was Technical Director and Wilhelm Maybach (of WWII German tank engine fame) was Chief Designer and later even Ettore Bugatti was employed. CD Magirus the lorry and fire appliance firm was under control by 1938. The air cooled engine designs really come into their own during WWII especially in the freezing wastes of Russia and after the war Magirus Deutz became stronger with large sales in agricultural tractors as well as road vehicles. Typical German efficiency you might say and an interesting story. Franky.

The company does have a bit of a chequered past too, Magirus supplied lorries to the German military in the early 1940s that were basically mobile gas chambers. I doubt it was an order that could be turned down, but I would imagine it didn’t do much for a sales push into Israel.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk