Some old Maggies

Here are a few Magirus Deutz dumper pictures given to me by the owner who operated these great machines in the north west of Scotland in the mid 1980’s up until 2003 or so. They were all bought second hand and refurbished and worked hard on major road building and civils jobs at that time. I used to go for runs with the drivers and fondly remember the noise from the V8 or was it V10 engines, anyway to me, it sounded way better that any Scania! From what i remember, they were very good off road but could only carry 14 tons or so due to their high unladen weight.

Sorted your photos woodcutter, any info on the operator :question:
Similar wagon form the Ronnie Cameron Collection, Ronnie (RIP) would have known of the operator and his photo could previously have been one of the same fleet before a change of cab colour.
Oily

One of the blue ones ended it’s days in robert elrick’s yard at kinlochbervie . it’s still there with the body piled up with assorted scrap . He had 2 of them , probably when they put the new road in from laxford bridge to rhichonic . As to a 14 ton payload i doubt anybody bothers up there , no ministry that far north and the local police couldn’t care less as long as nobody gets hurt .

A pal of mine drove one for Netherwater Plant in Derbyshire, he rated it highly.

Pete.

A novel way of starting a V12, which powers a Singer sewing machine and with a flywheel that sharpens teeth :laughing:
quite a machine.
youtube.com/watch?v=lctG86pJedk
Oily

Thanks for sorting out my pictures Oily. The operator was Gairloch Garage in Wester Ross, trading as Mackenzie & Maclennan. They ran up to 8 Maggie dumpers at any one time and ran around 20 different Maggie dumpers in total over the years. The Orange one was not run by them as far as i know.

woodcutter:
Thanks for sorting out my pictures Oily. The operator was Gairloch Garage in Wester Ross, trading as Mackenzie & Maclennan. They ran up to 8 Maggie dumpers at any one time and ran around 20 different Maggie dumpers in total over the years. The Orange one was not run by them as far as i know.

Cheers for the info woodcutter, still going strong with tippers and of course Westerbus coaches.
Oily

This one working in 2009, Isle of Skye :question:
Oily