Magirus-Deutz trucks

Has anyone out there any information on Magirus-Deutz trucks which sold in large numbers at one time both as rigid 8 wheelers and tractor units , Cawthorn & Sinclair of Birtley was one operator I can recall .It would be great to have photographs and information from anyone who operated or drove them .

I know Marshalls of Nottingham ran quite a few along with a firm called Keetch as well
My mates dad used to drive a road going bonneted 6 wheeler dumper Maggie for a firm called Toton plant hire back in the late 70s

Could it have been this one gazsa401 transportphotos.com/road/photos

JS16351.jpg

JS16347.jpg
This firm McGovern seem to run a few also the bonneted ones

JS00271-12.jpg

Stanfield:
Could it have been this one gazsa401 transportphotos.com/road/photos
This firm McGovern seem to run a few also the bonneted ones

Looks like the one mate thanks

shugg:
Has anyone out there any information on Magirus-Deutz trucks which sold in large numbers at one time both as rigid 8 wheelers and tractor units , Cawthorn & Sinclair of Birtley was one operator I can recall .It would be great to have photographs and information from anyone who operated or drove them .

Just found these on Facebook apologies if they belong to someone

download.jpg

I drove an 8 wheel tipper…once, many years ago. Air cooled V8 IIRC. My opinion?? an appalling pile of junk.

K P. Parnell in Stoke on Trent run a fleet of those bonneted dumpers for quite a while. He’s one Glyn John had, an ex demonstrator, according to the workshop manager they didn’t keep it long as it wasn’t much cop :smiley: :open_mouth: :sunglasses:
And I can remember when I first started driving, running out the quarries up Buxton, a firm called Allison have a fleet of 8 wheelers

image.jpg

An owner/driver pal of mine, Jim Goodwin from Alsager, ran at least one eight legger aircooled tipper and reckoned they were great lorries to operate. Tough old things that’s for sure, Netherwater Plant had a dumper which another friend of mine drove.

Pete.

windrush:
An owner/driver pal of mine, Jim Goodwin from Alsager, ran at least one eight legger aircooled tipper and reckoned they were great lorries to operate. Tough old things that’s for sure, Netherwater Plant had a dumper which another friend of mine drove.

Pete.

I know Jim and his son :smiley: Were them maggies that Jeffries haulage from Burton had, they were always low flyin, the milkman didn’t dare cross the old A50 between 6 and 7 in the morning :smiley: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :smiley: :grimacing:

Telekonsteve:

windrush:

Pete.

I know Jim and his son :smiley: Were them maggies that Jeffries haulage from Burton had, they were always low flyin, the milkman didn’t dare cross the old A50 between 6 and 7 in the morning :smiley: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :smiley: :grimacing:

Yes I had forgotten about Jeffries running them Steve, they went onto Iveco’s later I think. I never had anything to do with Maggies but they seem to have been well liked by those who operated them, though I reckon (looking at the size of the running gear and chassis) that they were probably heavy sods!

Pete.

Your forgetting the 232 dumpers Pete from right on your doorstep ?

IIRC The 6 wheel all drive could legally only carry about 12 tons on the road but could manage 20 tons easy if not more on site :sunglasses:

Telekonsteve-- Heres a some of Allinson stone from Stockport (Not my photos by the way but thanks to whoever they belong to )

Punchy Dan:
Your forgetting the 232 dumpers Pete from right on your doorstep ?

You have got me there I’m afraid Dan? :confused:

Pete.

Remember the matlock plant ones from lumsdale running the spar ?

Stanfield:
Telekonsteve-- Heres a some of Allinson stone from Stockport (Not my photos by the way but thanks to whoever they belong to )

That’s them , always going like the hammers of hell ha ha :smiley: :smiley: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :stuck_out_tongue: :arrow_right: :unamused: :grimacing:

Punchy Dan:
Remember the matlock plant ones from lumsdale running the spar ?

No Dan, I don’t even remember Matlock Plant, though the name does vaguely ring a bell. You have to remember that most of my working life was spent away from Matlock, we didn’t do that much in this area from Ballidon and until I worked for Eric I didn’t go into any of the few local quarries that remained open. Must have been a big operation if they had all those trucks! :open_mouth:

Pete.

Pete 232 is the horse power ! They ran out of Ball eye to the swan minerals ( Horace Taylor’s mill ) and to Bonsall moor and up to Glebe mine .

Punchy Dan:
Pete 232 is the horse power ! They ran out of Ball eye to the swan minerals ( Horace Taylor’s mill ) and to Bonsall moor and up to Glebe mine .

Oh right! :blush: Still don’t actually remember them but presumably I did encounter them on my travels up/down the Via Gellia. I guess this was after Pitchmastic finished at Ball Eye? I used to occasionally run up to Glebe from Tearsall for Mr Gregory when I was desperate but that was in the late 90’s.

Pete.