Magirus-Deutz trucks

my dad with his Maggie in Italy

twin splitter:
my dad with his Maggie in Italy

Ace photo, that. The driver, and his wagon, look really smart.

PS There is another Magirus thread somewhere on here.

A few old adverts from truck magazine.

We had some ford cargo units and wagon and drags fitted with maggie deutz engines,not the best in the pulling department but not bad trucks really,most of the units ended up as yard shunters a job they did very well.

There was a really old bullnose thing (on Dutch plates) going clockwise around the M25. Off to truckfest maybe? Was immaculate

They seemed to be popular on muck-away as an 8 wheeler since they were so tough. Certainly the hub reduction on them was a lot better put together than the various British equivalent offerings; the engines puked oil about the same though. I never had the ?pleasure? of taking the bigger versions apart, but the 7.5 and 16 tonners being inlines weren’t too difficult … just like a bigger Lister really. Changing a clutch in an 8 wheel tipper was a horrible job, just squeezed in too tightly. Those that knew better reckoned it was easier to take the engine out to do the job.

There were a few in the fleet at Elgin Transport I only drove one for 1 trip … found it a bit blind when backing up a trailer but then thats something you would get used to after a bit they could work though !!!

I can remember putting a clutch in a 232 8 wheeler and it really was a hideous job , just not wide enough to get the box away from the engine I think we had to adjust something with the burning gun to get it out . Not much fun changing the starter motor either . Regards Geoff

When Ouseburn Transport of Newcastle moved from their old workshop on the Quayside to Stepney Bank at the beginning of the 70’s they bought Magirus-Deutz units and were quite happy with them, I recall seeing the first brand new one in the workshop on a visit while I was on leave from my army training, as in the pic below of the one having the signwriting applied. The company didn’t buy them in great numbers but did replace them with others over the years and found them reliable and the drivers liked them, later when Magirus became part of IVECO they used those too. Franky.

The first Maggie I saw in this country was one that W.H.Bowker of Blackburn ran. :slight_smile: :unamused:

shugg:
Has anyone out there any information on Magirus-Deutz trucks which sold in large numbers at one time both as rigid 8 wheelers and tractor units , Cawthorn & Sinclair of Birtley was one operator I can recall .It would be great to have photographs and information from anyone who operated or drove them .

Few from my collection,

Barry/Gloves

Here is a photo of vans parked in our Spennymoor depot. If you zoom in you can see one of two Magirus Deutz 7.5 ton Lutons based with two other 7.5 ton vans at our Sheffield Depot. It is parked looking up behind the breakdown & Sheffield is where Spennymoor would usually be shown

Magirus Deutz.jpg

T.Graveson from Carnforth and Priory Plant of Whalley ran the 6 wheel drive ones,problem with them was they could only legally carry about 12 tons on the road due to high tare weight. :unamused:

Australian 230D22FS 6x4.

A south wales truck. :smiley: