Kenneth Wilson Corn Merchants Leeds

Can recall Kenneth Wilson Leeds having a large fleet of mainly ERF`s employed on grain haulage throughout the country , has anyone any information , photographs etc relating to this company ?.

Think they change name to C.C.C ( cereal conditioning company ) and they had three trucks based in Telford, one was driven by a lad called Eric who had moved down from Yorkshire, Sorry no Pics

Hi shugg. Is this the same company you are looking for.
transportphotos.com/road/photos

CX00948-10.jpg

Kenneth Wilson had a large fleet of Fodens through out 1960s and 1970s

shugg:
Can recall Kenneth Wilson Leeds having a large fleet of mainly ERF`s employed on grain haulage throughout the country , has anyone any information , photographs etc relating to this company ?.

Just the odd few from my collection

Barry/Gloves

gloves
nice pics barry,i live in leeds and had forgotten about Kenneth Wilson.
do you have any pics of castle bros haulage and castle bros transport they were one of the largest transport companys in the Yorkshire in the 60s.
regards sm1

shugg:

Do remember KW having grain storage and lorries based in Louth. Also, I believe they bought Halmshaws at Wooton who were grain merchants and storage with there own small fleet of lorries. I always thought the head office and workshops etc were at Knottingley and names remembered from the time were Fred Maeer, Frank Pallister and Mick Benjamin.

KW

KW had yards in Knottingley, Tuxford and Louth. Drivers officially based in Knottingley were scattered far and wide. The two from Telford mentioned in a post above were Eric Benson and Derek Waters, there were also two based in Bass at Preston Brook and two in the Blue Star in Newcastle. There were drivers who lived in and around York and kept the trucks on farms near their homes and their were three out Elland/ Halifax way all controlled from Knottingley by the legend that was Freddie Maeer.
KW’s head office was Morwick Hall on the A64 going into Leeds which has since been turned into some form of business park these days, but KW also had fingers in lots of old aerodromes using the hangers for grain storage, places like Barmby Moor, Tholthorpe, High Ercall and when I was a kid in the 60’s Thorp Arch was a big KW site and one of the products stored there was peanuts for Kenyons at Rotherham, better known as KP

quarryman:
Kenneth Wilson had a large fleet of Fodens through out 1960s and 1970s

Loving the custom tailored radiator blind. :stuck_out_tongue:

KW had mainly Fodens and ERF’s with a few Scania’s at Knottingley, Tuxford had a MAN fleet and Louth was Sed Atki.
Knottingley also had an 8 wheeler 2800 DAF that was based at Preston Brook piloted by John Wrench. In the 60’s Knottingley acquired half a dozen 1418 bull nosed Merc units and the long bench seat made a great bed for me and my brother but they were soon replaced by Fodens

Amazing what you can find when not looking for it

Barry/Gloves

Very nice to see some pics from my old firm,i have posted on here before on the subject,with little sucsess. Are any of you guys ex KW men? I was there in the 80s and can well remember many of those wagons pictured. That green 8 legger was driven by Ron Dale from Leavening,<where we had a dryer/dresser/store> .My first wagon there was PWX 462W a ERF tractor with Jennings sleeper and a straight 8, 240 Gardner. This was followed by SHE 100Y a flying machine of a Foden powered by big cam 14 litre ■■■■■■■ followed by another Foden .This was a 320, 14 litre ■■■■■■■ with 13 speed box.<E665 0WT>. I have half a dozen photo s,but don’t know how to post them .I heard that Mick Benjamin aka Pilot Officer had passed away recently,as has Eric Benson and a few of the others. I would be interested to see and hear more on the subject. Rod

brandsbybank:
Very nice to see some pics from my old firm,i have posted on here before on the subject,with little sucsess. Are any of you guys ex KW men? I was there in the 80s and can well remember many of those wagons pictured. That green 8 legger was driven by Ron Dale from Leavening,<where we had a dryer/dresser/store> .My first wagon there was PWX 462W a ERF tractor with Jennings sleeper and a straight 8, 240 Gardner. This was followed by SHE 100Y a flying machine of a Foden powered by big cam 14 litre ■■■■■■■ followed by another Foden .This was a 320, 14 litre ■■■■■■■ with 13 speed box.<E665 0WT>. I have half a dozen photo s,but don’t know how to post them .I heard that Mick Benjamin aka Pilot Officer had passed away recently,as has Eric Benson and a few of the others. I would be interested to see and hear more on the subject. Rod

Is it correct that Cereal Conditioning was part of Wilson’s■■?

Have photographed several of William Hobman trucks over the years and never knew whether he drove for Wilson’s or bought their old motors as Hobmans kept almost the same livery. Photos include some of the Foden 4000s E656 OWT and E 657 OWT, when Pelican were having good days.

Barry/Gloves

3 great photos there Barry ^^

Once again,great pictures. Hobman used to subby to KW ,not sure if he ran old KW tackle. That last picture of blue Foden,was Dave Mcalpin s . A Halifax based driver. I learnt a lot from him when I started there

brandsbybank:
Once again,great pictures. Hobman used to subby to KW ,not sure if he ran old KW tackle. That last picture of blue Foden,was Dave Mcalpin s . A Halifax based driver. I learnt a lot from him when I started there

Some of the Hobman trucks

Barry/Gloves

Hi Gloves Those are ex KW motors and ,yes, Cereal Conditioning Company, was part of KWs. If I remember rightly it was to get onto the docks after KW had been blacked. Some of those blue and yellow lorries just carried a removable plate,with the KW logo.This could be applied or removed,depending on where and who we were hauling to/for. Hard to believe that would fool any body for long as the blue and yellow was well known

gloves:

brandsbybank:

Is it correct that Cereal Conditioning was part of Wilson’s■■?

Have photographed several of William Hobman trucks over the years and never knew whether he drove for Wilson’s or bought their old motors as Hobmans kept almost the same livery. Photos include some of the Foden 4000s E656 OWT and E 657 OWT, when Pelican were having good days.

Barry/Gloves

I think Hobmans still have the grain store but do they still run any lorries ?

I don’t know about that,i don’t get over there any more .They ran a double drive Foden tractor,running on singles with the big cab <cheese slicer?> This had a big Cat in it and unusually it did a huge milage. .A picture of this would be good. I glimpsed a corner of it in one of the earlier pictures.