West Yorkshire to Lancashire old routes

Does anyone have any footage or pics of the old routes linking West Yorkshire and Lancashire before the M62 was built , ive seen 1 or 2 of the A62 from Huddersfield what about the Halifax to Rochdale roads either the Sowerby Bridge or the Hebden Bridge routes depending on the height of the load,and the closure of the M62 due to snow in 1977 , ive searched the net and drew a blank

No pictures ,sorry, but who remembers Nont Sarahs? A 640.

Situated on the South Pennines close to Saddleworth and adjacent to the National Trust’s Marsden Moor Estate the Nont Sarahs offers spectacular views across Scammonden Water, Deanhead and on to Halifax and beyond. Being one of the best known landmarks in West Yorkshire it attracts customers from all corners of the county, Lancashire and overseas. The villages of Slaithwaite and Marsden are within a 15 minutes drive and Holmfirth can be reached in under half an hour. These villages and surrounding countryside are often used for TV dramas and documentaries including ‘Where the Heart Is’ and ‘Last of the Summer Wine’.

that’s a road i had almost forgotten brian . going over there about 1968 in a bmc with 9 ton of tarmac for elland , struggling up the steep bit in low first with the radiator boiling . i wouldn’t have liked to try it in winter . i can’t remember if nont sarah’s was still open then though .cheers , dave

Ilse of Skye from Holmfirth to Greenfield I think it was the A635 we used to use it regular from Shepley to Staylbridge could be a bit bleak in th winter but glorious in the spring and summer and we still used it when the M62 was open as you would be over the top before you could get to the motorway.
Another road we used often was the A646 Halifax Toddmoden for Burnley or Blackburn and when I was on Magnet we would go from Keithley over to Colne for Burnley
cheers Johnnie

sammyopisite:
Ilse of Skye from Holmfirth to Greenfield I think it was the A635 we used to use it regular from Shepley to Staylbridge could be a bit bleak in th winter but glorious in the spring and summer and we still used it when the M62 was open as you would be over the top before you could get to the motorway.
Another road we used often was the A646 Halifax Toddmoden for Burnley or Blackburn and when I was on Magnet we would go from Keithley over to Colne for Burnley
cheers Johnnie

The Keighley to Colne road is still quite busy with traffic queuing as it gets to Colne , the airevalley road takes the heat off of Steeton but those clever traffic planners decided to route heavy vehicles back over the level crossing and then right at the lights ,you can spend some time at that level crossing

Hi Ramone, Have a look at Robert Baillie Transport, Portsmouth and Horndean thread
which I started last December,I put on there,a picture of the A58,between Halifax
and Rochdale. Same picture is also on page 397 “Long Departed Southampton Hauliers”

Regards, Ray Smyth.

Ray Smyth:
Hi Ramone, Have a look at Robert Baillie Transport, Portsmouth and Horndean thread
which I started last December,I put on there,a picture of the A58,between Halifax
and Rochdale. Same picture is also on page 397 “Long Departed Southampton Hauliers”

Regards, Ray Smyth.

Thanks Ray I will take a look

IIRC This was taken on The Standedge near Motormans Café, Regards Larry.

Hi Ramone, A couple of pictures,one of them on the A62, between Marsden and Slaithwaite,
Top picture is my 10ton GVW Leyland Daf 45,probably stopped for a Jimmy Riddle.
the other is a 7& half ton GVW M.A.N.,parked at the depot in Wigan, 2004.

Kind Regards, Ray Smyth.

Hi Ramone, I think I made a boo boo with my attachment,
I will try again.

Regards, Ray Smyth

Here’s a poem written by my old mate, the late “Albion Jack” Butterworth, Ripponden and District driver for many years, telling of a journey over the old roads:-
SNOW.
The snow was falling heavily
as I made my last drop.
The engine started readily
so now to cross the top.

I struggled up to Crosspool
but just couldn’t carry on.
To carry on I’d be a fool
for now, the snow had won.

I turned her round and went back down
I’ll try the six two nine
And very soon I’d passed “The Crown”
my diesel pulling fine.

Past Wortley Church, through Thurgoland
I had it to myself across High Flatts.
Still on my own, the wagon running grand
'til, just short of “Sovereign” the queue I’d dreaded sat.

The queue was right down Shepley hill
-this was no use to me
My best plan was to make New Mill
and then at Holmfirth see

If I could get past Harden Moss
and on to “Bill o’Jacks”
I might then get to Greenfield
-if not, I’d just turn back.

“Passing places, single line”
the sign at Holmfirth said
So far I was doing fine
I knew the road ahead.

I got down into Greenfield
to find there was no snow
I’d put my faith in my back wheels
and homeward I did go.

I’ve done that route, and Woodhead, Snake and Nont Sarahs many, many times in all weathers (still do !), and this poem really rings true.
God bless you, Jack, R.I.P.

Jack wrote quite a few poems about lorries and driving them. He always gave me a copy of his latest one when I went over from Halifax to Littleborough to spend a Sunday morning with him after he retired. I worked with him for 33 years at Ripponden, and counted him a friend for 50 years 'til he passed away last year.
Sorry Ramone, no photos of the " over the tops " Pennine routes, but one or two tales from the '60s to tell when I get a bit more time. We had about half the fleet, about 40 lorries crossing those routes every day.

Regards John.

Hello Mr Ramone, I hope you found my A62 picture that sent yesterday. Interesting posts
regarding Ripponden & District Carriers, From 1994, I did some storage and distribution
for a local packaging and label company,based in Standish. Every day Ripponden van
would call in the afternoon, and for most of the time,for 15 years,it was driven by
Roy Barmby (RIP), I believe several of his family members were also drivers for Ripponden.
I telephoned his wife Pamela,to offer my condolences when he passed away.
Kind Regards,
Ray Smyth. Ray Smyth Transport Ltd. Wigan.

Hi Ray, Roy was the oldest of the Barmby brothers who worked at " The District ". There was also Derek, Brian, David and Neil. Their dad Ronnie worked there as a night mechanic, their mother worked there in the canteen, and their sister also worked there for a bit !!! It really was a " family firm ".
Regards. John.

Nont Sarahs the Pub.

And before the lorries started passing by.

Lawrence Dunbar:
IIRC This was taken on The Standedge near Motormans Café, Regards Larry.

It was actually taken outside the Eagles Nest cafe which was located just before Standedge cutting it was also an Esso garage which can be seen in the background of this picture below.

Below is another picture of the A62 were it passes through Waterhead.

moomooland:

Lawrence Dunbar:
2IIRC This was taken on The Standedge near Motormans Café, Regards Larry.

It was actually taken outside the Eagles Nest cafe which was located just before Standedge cutting it was also an Esso garage which can be seen in the background of this picture below.
Below is another picture of the A62 were it passes through Waterhead.

Hi “moomooland” IIRC It was called Standege Services wich opened in the late 50s, Half of it for us drivers & half for the tourist trade, Open 24 hrs, The sheep used to walk in looking for scraps of food when the doors were open, They used to huddle around the chiminey outlets to keep warm from heat from the trains running through the tunnels, Happy long gone days, Regards Larry.

One of Edward Becks ERF’s parked up at Standedge services on the A62
Today it is called the Carriage House a regular haunt for old vehicle meets at weekends.

If my memory serves me well, I recall a transport café on the A58, between Halifax & Rochdale,
on the left,if heading toward Lancashire. it was called “The Shepherds Rest”
I wonder what is there now ■■.. Ray Smyth.

The Shepherds Rest Café is now a very nice residence . Spent a few bob in there over the years back in the 60s.

jhuioknnbg.JPG
Regards. John.