Engines - Leyland 0.680

[zb]
anorak:

Timi_1978:

robert1952:
I was parked up in Poland, some years ago, …

Welcome to the madhouse Timi_1978. Superb post- we don’t know much about East European trucks here (I don’t, anyway!), so the more the better.

The Zubr A80 looks like it might have some parts of Fiat in the cab. Was it a licence-produced cab?

Was the turbo 680 a reliable engine?

Hello and welcome from Poland.

Eastern european trucking is a little bit unknown for west i know. We were under soviet influence for some time and becouse of that we were forced to use our own /easter block/ technology.

Now about ŻUBR A80. This truck was totally polish idea. No fiat parts in the cab/it looks a little like the one from fiat 666/ The cab was polish made KO-1 model cabin. KO-1 was very uncomfortable no heating and very bad sound proofing. The ŻUBR A80 was the first succesfull truck form Jelcz factory after the WW2/designed 1960/. Poland decided to produce the big truck able to carry up to 7,5 tons of payload. A80 was fitted with polish S56 140 hp diesel engine designed by PZL-Wola Warsaw especially for this truck. Later engine was modified a little /model S560/and the power output was from 150 hp up to 180 hp in some versions. Basicly bad engines, bad ballance/vibrations/, smoke and a lot of errors in entire construction. Most common malfunction was broken crankshaft. To increase the reliability entire car was redesigned acording to experience with A80 problems. S560 engine was replaced with SW680 build on Leyland licence. And so the Jelcz 315 era started. Please check the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usDNFyBkZHs This is original redesigned JELCZ 315 with Leyland 0.680 SW680. There is so dificult to get working A80 but 315 looks a little like A80 enjoy.

Also some extra video about Hungaroring version of JELCZ 400 With turbocharged SW680 - lovely sound!!!

The question was “Was the turbo 680 a reliable engine?” - YES!