Rowe Hillmaster Tippers - McGregors Oldham

In the late fifties & early sixties I used to see Rowe Hillmaster tippers operated by Mcgregors in Oldham. They were all black with yellow signwriting but I can’t remember if they were 4 or 6 wheelers. Can anyone shed some light here or does anyone have any pictures. I have trawled the net looking for information but no luck so far. :frowning:

• YogiBoo

I have this picture of a Hillmaster but not in the McGregors livery. sorry.

Thanks for the photo , this is a nice vehicle but the cab is a MK 1 cab , I forgot to mention that the Mcgregor tippers were MK 2’s with the horizontal barred grill. Thanks for responding with a great photo , much appreciated. :slight_smile:

• YogiBoo

Hiya …Jennings of Sandbach made some of the cabs for the hillmaster
John

Thanks John ,

Good information for further research.

• YogiBoo

My Dad worked for McGregors in the 50’s, haven’t got a clue what he drove but I have a memory of going with my Mum one Friday to pick his wage up from the yard, think it was down near Mumps Bridge, I was about 4yrs old at the time. I do remember that he seemed to be away from home all the time hauling coal in South Wales, well that’s what he told my Mum :wink: :slight_smile:

Regards
Dave Penn;

Hiya… if you need anymore info on the Hillmaster try Colin Pitt from Otley he restored a tractor unit a few years ago.
John

davepenn54:
My Dad worked for McGregors in the 50’s, haven’t got a clue what he drove but I have a memory of going with my Mum one Friday to pick his wage up from the yard, think it was down near Mumps Bridge, I was about 4yrs old at the time. I do remember that he seemed to be away from home all the time hauling coal in South Wales, well that’s what he told my Mum :wink: :slight_smile:

Regards
Dave Penn;

Thanks Dave , I do remember my dad telling me that they used to carry coal , anthracite I think

3300John:
Hiya… if you need anymore info on the Hillmaster try Colin Pitt from Otley he restored a tractor unit a few years ago.
John

Thanks John , I have just had a chat with Colin Pitt and he may have a picture for me , many thanks.

• Yogiboo

There’s a Hillmaster group on flickr, someone might be able to help:

flickr.com/groups/1763646@N20/

Just had a look at the flickr page and it seems as if Colin Pitt’s restored at least two Hillmasters. Proper hero of the restoration game is Colin.

ParkRoyal2100:
There’s a Hillmaster group on flickr, someone might be able to help:

flickr.com/groups/1763646@N20/

Thanks for the link , some great pics :slight_smile:

Retired Old ■■■■:
Just had a look at the flickr page and it seems as if Colin Pitt’s restored at least two Hillmasters. Proper hero of the restoration game is Colin.

I spoke to him last week , a real character , he is 79 yrs old and still runs his garage business in Otley.He told me he has had 4 Hillmasters and he was a personal friend of the Rowe family :slight_smile:

• YogiBoo

I’ve been promising myself that I’ll cross th’ills and make a nuisance of myself at Colin’s place.