Old transport companies

came across this picture and wondered what happened to European Freightbus

I do not know but what a wonderful picture have you got any more.

Sorry Pete I copied it out of one of my sons books and remembered the trucks, mainly Transcon’s on the docks and ferries and back then British drawbars were an unusual site.

bob

KW:

jj72:
MARTINTRUX
KELLY FREIGHT
LOWE PADDOCK WOOD
ARTHUR CUTHBERT, NORTHAMPTON

And what about
SWALLOW INTERNATIONAL
FEBLAND EUROPA

Cadwallader`s took over Swallow International, so iam told by an ex
Caddies driver i work with.

:smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :sunglasses:

Rikki-UK:
Heres a company for you Trucky…

Robsons owned by Charlie Robson and used to import beer, as a sideline they ran the Tottenham Hotspurs team coach …Due to the sponsors (Holstein) being one of Charlies biggest customers, for some reason Charlie thought the coach would be untouched when parked up in his yard off Evelyn St Deptford, (Right opposite my house) in the Heart of Millwall FC country :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Robsons had some nice liveried trucks, none more so than the limited edition Scania Centurions he bought.

Charlie also had a warehouse off the Old Kent Road in the old Railway marshalling yards, which was full of Corned Beef and exotic beers, Unfortunatly he had to leave there in a hurry as he had forgotten to ask British Railways if they minded him useing their disused warehouse :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :smiley:

rikki seeing as your a boy from the same manor remember w b s /gayfrieght /francis in reddrif road all egg

I worked for Houston Transport, Salamanca St . Lambeth, WBS bought them out I then worked for them in Surry Docks not for long though. What was the boss called. He owned a lot of companies in South London.

ok montydog the boss at wbs was ralph hilton when i worked there was about 200 hundred drivers every one on frist name terms i was on the container side earning big money for those days best guy i ever woked for egg on legs

Cabmont: Cables & Montague had a depot at Tunnel Ave, Greenwich.1971-2, they moved to Fraser Rd Industrial Est, Erith, Kent. I worked for Cabmont from 1971-1982 from their depot in Jackson St, St Helens, Lancs. on the night flyer to Kings Cross and back 5 nights a week.
Two other companies I worked for that are no longer with us:
Fred Davies, St Helens. Mostly fruit out of Liverpool docks and veg from Evesham. He also had a depot in Salford. Closed 1972
Northwest Freighters, Haydock. Mostly reefers. Closed 1990.

Viking:
Cabmont: Cables & Montague had a depot at Tunnel Ave, Greenwich.1971-2, they moved to Fraser Rd Industrial Est, Erith, Kent. I worked for Cabmont from 1971-1982 from their depot in Jackson St, St Helens, Lancs. on the night flyer to Kings Cross and back 5 nights a week.
Two other companies I worked for that are no longer with us:
Fred Davies, St Helens. Mostly fruit out of Liverpool docks and veg from Evesham. He also had a depot in Salford. Closed 1972
Northwest Freighters, Haydock. Mostly reefers. Closed 1990.

Interesting to hear you use the term “flyer” when most refer to “night trunks”. Bowker’s 1970s/1980s night run from Liverpool to Bermondsey and back was always referred to as “The Flyer”, and I’d never heard anyone else use the term.

Interesting to hear you use the term “flyer” when most refer to “night trunks”. Bowker’s 1970s/1980s night run from Liverpool to Bermondsey and back was always referred to as “The Flyer”, and I’d never heard anyone else use the term.
[/quote]

We always used the term ‘flyer’ if you went both ways in a night. A ‘trunk’ was just the one way. I remember Bowkers F88 well but cannot remember the drivers name. Also doing ‘flyers’ was Suttons with his ‘straight eight’ Gardner 240s. I had a Daf 2200 at Cabmont.

Tom and Jerry had a depot at the Risley Industrial Estate.They were part of UCI Logistics group.Not sure about ManSped.Remember the livery and think they may have had trailers parked in that yard. Certainly have seen the trailers at the Vauxhall plant at merseyside.May have sen them at Luton too but that was a while ago :cry: .
I used to run into grisley when i worked for Hudson Shepherd
Bunzl swallowed a lot of companys… later swallowed/bought out by NYK under thw UCI Logistcs banner.Now running as NYK Logistics.maybe the bosses heard about the company nickname?? :astonished: :astonished: ,and Ontime logistics too.As well as NewWave logistics :question:

Viking:

We always used the term ‘flyer’ if you went both ways in a night. A ‘trunk’ was just the one way. I remember Bowkers F88 well but cannot remember the drivers name. Also doing ‘flyers’ was Suttons with his ‘straight eight’ Gardner 240s. I had a Daf 2200 at Cabmont.
[/quote]

Just remembered, The scouse Bowker drivers name was Bob.

We at HST always used the term “flyer” to describe a journey that had to be completed in a day… ie out.All drops rid of and back…

We were doing multidrop so even if the delivery area wasnt too far,say Brum, away it could be a sod to get out and back and clear the load.

They tended to be done on a wednesday or a friday.

The term “friday flyer” was really a curse… :astonished: :laughing: :laughing:

Viking:

Viking:

Just remembered, The scouse Bowker drivers name was Bob.
[/quote]

Bob Peckham, in fact! That takes me back!

its nice to see alot of old companies being remembered. keep them coming
robsons"border squadron" bought out by UCI colours changed then closed down.
CRS from glasgow “crazy road show”
southern transport services from East Kilbride
Elan the uk side of DHL…anyone remember snoopy
was it PALLETS the parcel firm who ran bright yellow trucks
and independent with think pink…PInk TRUCKS!!! M.A.N.s too
S.J Edwards from leighton Buzzard

Fairfrieght was bought out by debeaux which intern has been taken over…cant think of who by at the moment. i used to work for Simon Sargent at the time. along with dave “bara” baraclough, bob thurgood who left to go to cavewood when they where just south of narborough leic. bara has now retired and does some occasional agency work for dairy crest at nuneaton. dave had a lot of running pals, one being Flipper who got his name after putting a truck in a river on the continent, many more might now dave as he drove the red roadtrain that simon had then complained like hell when he got a new scania…

mckellars used to run a lot of hellmans freight. with “hurryup” harry doing a shuttle from rainham to tamworth daily after giving up the continental side. harry had a stutter, hence the “hurryup” John McCann also worked for mckellars before going to GnS, john now has his own trucks and runs one on bricks and blocks the other he drives on containers out of felixstowe.

i used to work for city transport. 93 to 96,and thats where i got my user name. another company no longer around. i had a lot of good times there and would like to catch up with a few that used to work there…thats where i know Rikki from, no he didnt work for city, he was on FVS or prestons of potto can remember which. spending long hours in CCSB at sidcup edmonton and others.

The pink trucks were Kwikasair ? taken over by TNT?used to have a depot at Penkridge at the back of the Sunset Cafe,many many moons ago.
I met simon sargent in a pub at the canal bridge going out of Nuneaton towards Atherstone,very popular with the local drivers , a few who worked for Fairfreight ,Steve Hayden,John Gaylor,Billy wizz(cant remember his surname), remember Barraclough’s name mentioned in many a tale ,Simon was pulling trailers for TNT at that time.
Those were the days.
regrds derek

independent parcels was taken over by tuffnels the “big green parcel machine” some time in the eighties.also there was another… i think it was RDB. out of welwyn garden area. alan (jack-knife) used to do a change over at charnock with billy the scotch driver.

i used to run a courier run to aberdeen at the time for simon on behalf on tnt… did that for 3 yrs and covered over 140,000 mile in a year needed a new van every 12 months. also did JIT work for fairfreight to france most of the time renault lyon. also lille, paris and evreux. alot of the time this was done as an extra on the back of coming back from aberdeen…ie aberdeen(1800) atherstone(0200) tip tnt reload simons office/storage then onto lyon same morning delivery…

Tammy,
Look in my ‘Old Trucking Tales’ section (A little way down) There is a story about ‘Independent’ (The Pink Panther Squadron) in there, can’t remember which page :question:

140,000 miles a year and you needed a new one every 12 months :question:

My Truck (pictured as my avitar has 681,000 miles on the clock, I do 2,500 a week :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Beresford transport and Beresford international shut down about 20 yrs ago. Fleet was nearly all “A” series ERF Continental tractors nearly all had “Bubbles” built on the back. I think Bassetts from Tittensor took over some of the kit and work. I worked for them on Continental for about 3 years. Pay and work was good.
Anybody out there work for Comart or Moorlock as it became, or Knight and Riley trading as ceramic euroflow in the mid/late 70,s?

Who remembers ADT of Northampton :question: we called them ‘After Dark Transport’ :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

They were renound for doing Carlilse change over from Northampton, there and back in one night :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: